Thinking about pursuing aviation as a career, any pro tips for the modern aspiring pilot starting from 0 and no college degree?

Thunderforce90

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Thunderforce90
I’ve had a passion for the topic of aviation in general for around 7-8 years now, generally in the form of many hours spent playing aviation related games, a TON of pictures taken across various aviation museums around the country I’ve visited, watching documentaries, reading books, etc. Recently considered pursuing it at as a career, already have my discovery flight booked for Monday 2/19. Would appreciate some tips from some industry pros regarding budgeting for flight school, health, time management, networking, any thing helps really since I don’t know a whole lot outside of a few weeks of research online and YouTube videos, most of which were years outdated. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

There are numerous threads on this subject so what Im saying has been said before.
First get a consultation with an AME to find out what Class of Medical you qualify for. If it's a First Class Medical then all options are open. If you only qualify for a Second Class then you can still fly as a career but limited options (ie. 121 FO, non-jet Fractional, Freight , ect).
As to bugeting it ends up being cheaper if you can fly daily as it shortens the training because flying 2-3 times a week you will regress and nned more training. What helped me was the GI Bill which paid for the majority of my training from Commercial to CFII. However the drawback to the GI Bill is that you have to be willing to serve in the military. Once you have your ratings you will still need to budget as jobs for low time pilots don't pay that well.
The best way to network is get a job at a FBO working the line. That way you can meet Fractional and Corporate pilots and find out about their companies.

Start working on a college degree as well as what is mentioned above. Even if it’s only one computer course a semester it will help get a job as you advance through the process.

Recently considered pursuing it at as a career,
A career in what? Aviation is a big field. Do you want to be an airline pilot, flight instructor, corporate pilot, crop duster, emergency medical chopper, A&P mechanic, air traffic cotroller, the list goes on and on. Each path is different, as will be the advice.

Welcome to the aviation bug. Coming to POA is just another step on your already started journey.
This is the closest to a Hotel California experience you'll ever have. You can check out of aviation any time you want, but you will never be able to leave. Its a lifelong thing (love or affliction? YOU decide).

With that said, here's some reality that you need to be aware of.

1) The ability to fly for a living can be a very fragile thing. You can lose the ability for things immediately out of the gate or years after you get your pilot's certificate. Cruise over to the medical subforum for some real life stories.
2) Because of 1, it is always a good idea to have a backup plan in case you can no longer continue the pilot path. You would not be the first, nor would you be the last to have that path denied to you at some point.
3) As there are some piloting options that do not require a medical BUT do require the absence of a denied medical (Sport pilot and gliders come to mind) you will do well to follow what was advised above and go to the AME for a consult first. If you have something that will stop you from the beginning in getting an FAA medical, this is the time to find out. Consider the consult a practice run where if you would have been denied, no action will be taken and you're still good and can now consider your updated options.
4) after you've perused the medical forum you'll see that there are some things that are a problem from the get-go. Alcohol issues, drug issues, ADHD / Autism / Depression diagnosis, other behavioral issues. These are things to keep in mind as while they may not be an issue now, may crop up later in life.

As to flying, the realities there haven't changed. The least expensive way is going to be your local flight school. The most expensive will be your aviation universities. However, with the aviation universities you can get loans to cover the flight time and get a degree at the same time. So, from a purely time point of view this would probably be the quickest as they frequently will have arrangements with employers after the schooling. However, it will be a lot more expensive than the local flight school where you're going to be generally paying as you go and taking longer to do it. Note that you will have diehards in both camps swearing their path was the only way to go. Just grin, nod, and continue on your way. Unless you're interested in a bit of arguing. In which case, have at it.

The rest of your questions are going to be the same as whatever research you did in the past couple of weeks, there will be very little out-dated information. The world of aviation changes slowly. The biggest changes recently is Basic Med which is really not what you're looking for, and MOSAIC is still on the drawing board (and even this is not what you're asking about)
--------
Good luck, stick around, and let us know how it goes.

1. budgeting for flight school,
2. health,
3. time management,
4. networking.

1. Budgeting is simple; have a plan for every dollar. Plan to spend $15K on a PPL, $20K on the IFR, and another $10-20K getting to and thru Commercial. You don’t have to do these back-to-back, but don’t go into debt (credit cards, loans, financing of any type) to do it.

2. Don’t know what to say here. For the medical, don’t lie on it. The FAA directly asks you have you ever in your life…the big ones are ADD/ADHD, and drug use/alcohol abuse. But there’s others in there that’ll get you as well. When you decide to try to get a medical, fill out MedXpress, schedule a consult, give a hard copy, without the confirmation number, and find out if you can be issued in office, that day. If yes, hand over the confirmation number. If no, get specific instructions on what you need, go get that done, and exactly that done, then do the exam again.

3. Whether you want to do this as a career, you need to understand it’s relatively easy to get killed flying a plane. Take it seriously, learn the material, don’t fall in the trap of “that’s what my CFI said”.

4. Networking is as important as any other career.

Where about do you live? Age? What do you do now? Any college credits?
What type of skeletons, if any? DUI, head meds, criminal or drug convictions?

Do you already have plans for Oshkosh in July? Maybe Sun & Fun if you live in the SE?

1. Budgeting is simple; have a plan for every dollar. Plan to spend $15K on a PPL, $20K on the IFR, and another $10-20K getting to and thru Commercial. You don’t have to do these back-to-back, but don’t go into debt (credit cards, loans, financing of any type) to do it.

2. Don’t know what to say here. For the medical, don’t lie on it. The FAA directly asks you have you ever in your life…the big ones are ADD/ADHD, and drug use/alcohol abuse. But there’s others in there that’ll get you as well. When you decide to try to get a medical, fill out MedXpress, schedule a consult, give a hard copy, without the confirmation number, and find out if you can be issued in office, that day. If yes, hand over the confirmation number. If no, get specific instructions on what you need, go get that done, and exactly that done, then do the exam again.

3. Whether you want to do this as a career, you need to understand it’s relatively easy to get killed flying a plane. Take it seriously, learn the material, don’t fall in the trap of “that’s what my CFI said”.

4. Networking is as important as any other career.
So the only medical concern that I have is that I have amblyopia in my right eye, It is physically uncorrectable to 20/20, however my left eye is 20/20 correctable. Based on what I’ve read around the internet, lazy eye isn’t an instant disqualification for a 1st class medical, but it’s a bit of a process to get cleared for one. From what I think I have to do, I have to get a 3rd class medical, get my PPL, then take some kind of demonstration of ability test to prove I can competently fly with monocular vision, in which passing that clears me for a 1st class medical pending a second medical exam.

A career in what? Aviation is a big field. Do you want to be an airline pilot, flight instructor, corporate pilot, crop duster, emergency medical chopper, A&P mechanic, air traffic cotroller, the list goes on and on. Each path is different, as will be the advice.

The 3 main ones I would want to pursue would be cargo pilot, airline pilot, and/or corporate pilot.

Where about do you live? Age? What do you do now? Any college credits?
What type of skeletons, if any? DUI, head meds, criminal or drug convictions?

Do you already have plans for Oshkosh in July? Maybe Sun & Fun if you live in the SE?
I live in the PNW region of the US and I’m 20, right now I work full time in the fire life safety industry as a fire alarm inspector, never been in college, no run ins with the law, no questionable health concerns other than amblyopia in my right eye.

As for the last thing, myself and my family plan on going to Las Vegas for a short vacation for my 21st birthday later this year closer to summer

… amblyopia...
Here’s the FAA’s guidance to AMEs on the condition

And vision standards

If 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction for both near and distant, that’ll get you a Class III. Higher requires the SODA/Medical Flight Test. Class III is all you need for Private thru Commercial.

You’ll want to see an Opthalmologist for the 8500-7 about 2-4 weeks before seeing the AME. The 8500-7 is here:

The Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu said; “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”. He wasn't wrong, because you won't get anywhere unless you start the journey.

So don't overthink it, just get your medical and your Private first. Later you'll need an instrument and commercial...just keep at it. It can be a slog at times, it's not a fast process.

You'll probably want to consider getting your CFI/CFII if you like teaching, it'll help.

Another thing to consider is getting a job in your local maintenance facility and simultaneously tracking to an A&P. It's a good career and you'll have a lot of exposure to a big network. Pay will not be good to start. Start taking some college courses eventually it'll help.

Talk to everyone. Networking is really important.

to be clear, the previous advice about consulting the AME....is to get a CONSULT for that initial visit, and NOT do the exam for a medical just yet.
There might be some things you need to clear up before going in for the exam.

there are some piloting options that do not require a medical BUT do require the absence of a denied medical (Sport pilot and gliders come to mind)
True for SP and basicmed but there is no prohibition on flying gliders (or balloons or ultralights) with a denied medical.

Back