Thinking about a Moped

Just picked up a 110 MPH BMW moped. I have owned all the fastest bikes made and just love this scooter. I liked it so much I sold my Ducati 1198 superbike because it was just sitting. The scooter is a blast to ride and comfy. The other bikes are fun to ride wheelies and go 200 but not fun to cruise on.

Attachments

• bmw.jpg
    bmw.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 56
Just picked up a 110 MPH BMW moped. I have owned all the fastest bikes made and just love this scooter. I liked it so much I sold my Ducati 1198 superbike because it was just sitting. The scooter is a blast to ride and comfy. The other bikes are fun to ride wheelies and go 200 but not fun to cruise on.

:yes::yeahthat:

I don't know about selling my Ducati superbike, but I know what gets used more :).

Ha..... It is Key West.....
I can understand why you don't like California if you think Venice Beach is Key West. ;)

Nauga,
from where the wild things are

A bunch of years ago my brother rode a moped and I had a badass chromed out Harley. We "rode" together a few times and got a couple laughs out of it. And no I don't have any pics, unfortunately.

That's because the Ducati 1198 is just about one of the most uncomfortable bikes ever made, even for a sport bike, lol. Absolute screamer around the track, but definitely not designed for straight-line and commuting (just like most every other sport bike). Not that the BMW moped isn't nice, it is, but they are at the absolute opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of comfort/design.

That's because the Ducati 1198 is just about one of the most uncomfortable bikes ever made, even for a sport bike, lol. Absolute screamer around the track, but definitely not designed for straight-line and commuting (just like most every other sport bike). Not that the BMW moped isn't nice, it is, but they are at the absolute opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of comfort/design.

Which is exactly the point.

For me, my 749R is the perfect motorcycle because this is how I like to ride. It is very comfortable for the mission it is designed for: Track or fast windy roads. It's really good at that, but that makes it a terrible commuter.

A commuter-friendly motorcycle will be pretty pointless for me, it would compromise the things I like in the mc to the point that I would not like it as an mc. So why pay for the mc if I can get the commuting done in a far less expensive, more comfortable, and more useful scooter. And have a real MC for the reckless fun on the weekends.

Other's mileage may vary :) as each person's situation and requirements are different. If my commute were 40 miles, I would more likely use a real motorcycle as they do handle open road better(or that BMW scooter :)).

For commutes I like Dual Sports. Cheap, rugged, nice riding position and decent gas mileage.

I commuted from Ocean Beach to Tijuana on a KLR 650 for about 18months. Made the border crossing much nicer. If I can use nice to describe crossing that border.

Can you legally split lanes in TX? I mostly gave up street riding when I moved to GA. No lane splitting equals waiting to die on a road, IMO.

I used to live a ways out of town and had an old Rizzato Califfo Deluxe moped that I used to ride into town from time to time if I had a little errand to run (get a loaf of bread, six pack of beer, etc.) It was fun to ride, but you didn't want to have to pedal it. The gear on the pedals was only about half again the size of the gear on the rear wheel. It would exhaust you to pedal it to get it started.

I can understand why you don't like California if you think Venice Beach is Key West. ;)

Nauga,
from where the wild things are

Hmmmm. Key West has the same funky looking cone thingie in the back ground,, same climate and the same kind of nut cases living there...

I yield to your correction sir...:redface::redface::redface:

For the things a moped used to be used for, I'd put an electric motor kit on a bike. No noise, no gas, no problem starting, much lighter.

I bought my wife a new white 2015 Honda PCX 150 scooter. She won't ride it, just scared of that kind of stuff. It has 300 miles on it. I will take $3000 if anyone needs a awesome scooter. Great for around town and some highway. It runs 62 mph with me on it and I weigh 235.

I don't like to tow the jeep every time we go camping, so.. 1985 Yamaha Big wheel, fun as hell on a forest service road. and a quick trip to the stop and rob near the campgrounds.

Attachments

• DSCN2961.JPG
    DSCN2961.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 44
I don't like to tow the jeep every time we go camping, so.. 1985 Yamaha Big wheel, fun as hell on a forest service road. and a quick trip to the stop and rob near the campgrounds.

Nice. I remember riding those.

I have a 79 CT70 I need to get running again. Maybe put a 110cc kit on it so I don't get run over.

Nice. I remember riding those.

I have a 79 CT70 I need to get running again. Maybe put a 110cc kit on it so I don't get run over.

We had a pair of them, until a guy in Brisbane, Aus. offered 3 times what they were worth. We were not using them and we had a storage problem. so I put them on Craig's list and they sold in 30 minutes.

No how, no way, never ever ever. What is the similarity between bicycles, mopeds, and motorcycles? They're all of them utterly invisible to cagers, expect for a very few who will actively try and run into them. I know not a single bicyclist who emerged from a commute unscathed yours truly included.

What is the difference between a motorcycle and a moped? A motorcycle has the speed, power and maneuverability to get away.

Don't know where you're based, but I have a '63 Honda SuperCub C100 here (DC suburbs) that's going up for sale shortly if that's of any interest.

Cool little classic moped/bike, 49cc, hugely common worldwide so parts are cheap (e.g. ignition switch direct from Thailand for $20 shipped), but rare enough in the states to be a bit collectible. And if you get itchy there's a 140cc swap that'll get you to 90+mph, or to an insurance auction.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I want one but not the modern vespa equivalent.
I want one like the cool kids had in the 80s where you can pedal or kick it into overdrive.

My town is small but it is starting to boom and we are about to have lot of little local businesses around.

I think costwise a moped would be a cheap way to get around and also offer some exercise benefit if I chose to pedal.

I haven't figured out how to handle the constant attraction from the females in the neighborhood but I can cross that bridge when I get to it (On my moped)

Anyway, does anyone here have any moped experience they are willing to admit to publicly? HTey always looked fun to me.

I haven't even seen one in Europe the last few times over. When I was a kid on vacation in Germany I used to ride an old Sachs, and it was fine. I thought it was a sad loss. They are probably around on the used market in Germany for cheap, but you need a connection there or to take a vacation. If you really want one, let me know and I'll have my cousin look around and see what the market is. You'll be getting a 20 or 25 year old one though since that's the age to be able to bring them over without Federalization. The other way is to go over, buy it, put 2000 miles on it, and then you can import it at any age.

If it was me these days though, I'd get an electric bike. I was riding one last summer in Cannes and was really impressed with it, especially the hill climbing ability, just barely pedaling and it would climb hard and run with traffic up steep hills. No smoking ass noisy 2-stroke either.

Back