Things to do in Montreal?

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
I am going to Montreal next week, and I was wondering if any one had any suggestions for things to do or see there? Anything aviation related is always appreciated, but unfortunately not all of my family are plane nuts, so something adventurous like mountain biking or something…..

Thanks for the recommendations,

Purdue

I went there about a year ago for an aviation law conference. (I'd been a few times before too.)
They had us take a tour of the Canadair factory which was an amazing facility. I'm not sure if you can get a tour if you aren't affiliated with the company however. There are also Textron factories in the surronding area.

Besides those factories, the city is awesome, especially in the summer! The girls there are beautiful, the food is good and nothing is too expensive.
The night life is also pretty amazing, but it is a bit tuned down from NYC, which I like a lot. I would aim for the hip areas just to the east of the Mountain. That's where I tend to stay when I visit the city. Speaking of the Mountain, be sure to climb up the thing if the weather is clear, it's a fantastic view! The old city is also kinda cool, but tiny and touristy, so it's not really worth more than an hour or two of walking around.

Be sure to visit the museums, especially the muesuem of canadian art, which is designed by Safdie, and is a beautiful building. The island in the middle of the river is also worth a visit.

Oh and if you speak French, prepare to be confused. I have a lot of trouble making out the Quebec accent, although the people there seemed to understand me just fine.

Have a blast! It's a great city!

Last edited:
infotango said:
I
Oh and if you speak French, prepare to be confused. I have a lot of trouble making out the Quebec accent, although the people there seemed to understand me just fine.

It is not just the accent it is also the words they use, they are different.

As for things to do. Hit the music clubs!! Good jazz

infotango said:
I went there about a year ago for an aviation law conference. (I'd been a few times before too.)
They had us take a tour of the Canadair factory which was an amazing facility. I'm not sure if you can get a tour if you aren't affiliated with the company however. There are also Textron factories in the surronding area.

Besides those factories, the city is awesome, especially in the summer! The girls there are beautiful, the food is good and nothing is too expensive.
The night life is also pretty amazing, but it is a bit tuned down from NYC, which I like a lot. I would aim for the hip areas just to the east of the Mountain. That's where I tend to stay when I visit the city. Speaking of the Mountain, be sure to climb up the thing if the weather is clear, it's a fantastic view! The old city is also kinda cool, but tiny and touristy, so it's not really worth more than an hour or two of walking around.

Be sure to visit the museums, especially the muesuem of canadian art, which is designed by Safdie, and is a beautiful building. The island in the middle of the river is also worth a visit.

Have a blast! It's a great city!

Mountain and music clubs it is, thanks guys!!

Old Montreal - many fine boutique restaurants and hotels, some interesting museums.

If the family is into fun, try jet boating on the Lachine rapids! Warning - don't sit in the front row - I got hit with a wall of water so hard I had whiplash for 3 days!

World famous (at least in Canada!:D ) BBQ ribs at the Bar B Barn - not fancy, picnic tables indoors - favorite spot for college kids

Don't forget to visit the old town, the olympic park, Mount Royal, and I found a ton of good little eateries all over the place. And they didn't understand my French either, but all too kindly responded in English. :cheerswine:

I think Montreal is a great city and I will happily visit it again.

Back