Things to do in 6Y9 area?

dogman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dogman
What kind of activities are in the area? For Non pilot people.

Well, it's mostly a recreation area. The nearest traffic light is about 60 miles away or so. When we go up there our activities usually include ATVs and fishing. There are some hiking trails in the Sturgeon Gorge Wildnerness Area just north of town. If one were to want to mountain bike, there are a lot of old logging trails that could be used for riding. In the fall the hunting season starts, and in the winter about the only thing to do is ice fishing and snowmobiling.

The area around 6Y9 is really an outdoorsman's area. What we ended up doing last year for those that ended up staying beyond just the barbecue, was I took them on a ATV ride. For those that didn't want to go on the ATV ride, my dad took them on a tour of the area. I'm not entirely sure where he went, but I believe a couple of waterfalls were on the tour.

After we all returned we had a bonfire and sat around the fire just talking and enjoying company. I do know that there will be a lot of people there that will not be flying in, it looks like it's turning into not just an aviation event, but going to be a town event. There's talk of the town closing off a street, and doing an arts and crafts fair (I don't know what it's going to involve because I don't think the town has ever done one before!) and there's talk of trying to get all the classic cars in the area to park along the street, but that's out of my hands and I'll know more when I go up there on the 4th.

If your traveling companions are looking for a movie theater, shopping, or anything else that involves "city life" you are in the wrong place for now. We have a couple other non aviation irons in the fire for the town, but that will probably be a few years down the road.

...If your traveling companions are looking for a movie theater, shopping, or anything else that involves "city life" you are in the wrong place for now. We have a couple other non aviation irons in the fire for the town, but that will probably be a few years down the road.

Heh. We'll come back in ten years and the Frederick Mall with the Krogers, Macy's, Home Depot and the Starbucks will be lobbying to close the airport to expand the parking lot. :goofy:

Last edited:
Heh. We'll come back in ten years and the Frederick Mall with the Krogers, Home Depot and the Starbucks will be lobbying to close the airport to expand the parking lot. :goofy:
Mike, you owe me a new keyboard! Ed, reading that, I'm thinking we're going to have to make arrangements to stay up there overnight! :yes:

Well, it's mostly a recreation area. The nearest traffic light is about 60 miles away or so. When we go up there our activities usually include ATVs and fishing. There are some hiking trails in the Sturgeon Gorge Wildnerness Area just north of town. If one were to want to mountain bike, there are a lot of old logging trails that could be used for riding. In the fall the hunting season starts, and in the winter about the only thing to do is ice fishing and snowmobiling.

The area around 6Y9 is really an outdoorsman's area. What we ended up doing last year for those that ended up staying beyond just the barbecue, was I took them on a ATV ride. For those that didn't want to go on the ATV ride, my dad took them on a tour of the area. I'm not entirely sure where he went, but I believe a couple of waterfalls were on the tour.

After we all returned we had a bonfire and sat around the fire just talking and enjoying company. I do know that there will be a lot of people there that will not be flying in, it looks like it's turning into not just an aviation event, but going to be a town event. There's talk of the town closing off a street, and doing an arts and crafts fair (I don't know what it's going to involve because I don't think the town has ever done one before!) and there's talk of trying to get all the classic cars in the area to park along the street, but that's out of my hands and I'll know more when I go up there on the 4th.

If your traveling companions are looking for a movie theater, shopping, or anything else that involves "city life" you are in the wrong place for now. We have a couple other non aviation irons in the fire for the town, but that will probably be a few years down the road.

Outdoors is all we do, thats perfect, sounds great!!!

We will try like crazy to make it.
Jon

Back