Things/Sayings You Hate Hearing On The Radio!

What do you mean by handed to approach...from who?

and thanks for all this great info!

Handoff is a transfer of radar ID. Approach to approach. Tower to ground is just a transfer of communications not a handoff.

What do you mean by handed to approach...from who?

If you're on flight following with a Center or another Approach. There's a LOT of airspace below 10,000 feet in the US where a TRACON is in charge, so on a cross country flight you may be talking to several different approach controls. For example, if I fly to St. Louis from Madison, I'll probably be talking to Madison Departure (same people as Approach), Rockford Approach, Quad Cities Approach, Peoria Approach, Springfield Approach, and St. Louis Approach if I'm at or below 10,000. If I decided to cruise up at 12,000 or above, it'd probably be Madison Departure, Chicago Center, Kansas City Center, St. Louis Approach.

So, what I meant by that was just when you get handed off to the last Approach you're going to talk to. :)

and thanks for all this great info!

You're welcome! :thumbsup:

XYZ Unicom state your active or WXZ airport what's your active runway or which runway are you using?

LISTEN!

XYZ Unicom state your active or WXZ airport what's your active runway or which runway are you using?

LISTEN!

I was taught to ask for an airport advisory when about 10 out.

"podunk unicom spamcan 666 is 10 south request airport advisory podunk"

If there is a live person in the FBO you'll usually get a response, if not, someone in the pattern will usually respond.

If there is a live person in the FBO you'll usually get a response, if not, someone in the pattern will usually respond.

There's only one airport I know of (KRYV) that does this... Otherwise, I've never heard anyone other than a pilot on a non-towered unicom. :(

Pensacola and Destin are two of my most favorite places to fly, very busy down there with all the military activity.

Had my first solo at Destin. Was playing chess with 2 Russian Helos, and multiple out-of-towners all trying to get to the same runway.

Had my first solo at Destin. Was playing chess with 2 Russian Helos, and multiple out-of-towners all trying to get to the same runway.

Wow, nice place to live! Love the beaches in Destin, love sailing Pensacola Bay and the surrounding lagoons.

This was how I was taught, too. But the last time I returned to my base and made this request, the FBO's operator, who in this case doesn't have line of sight to the runway, was completely confused as to what runway was being used. There's my nomination for something I don't care to hear on the radio.

I'm now reconsidering the practice, and listening for other traffic as early as possible, as I would generally be doing anyway. If I hear no other traffic, I make my own decision based on the AWOS wind direction or designated calm wind runway, and finally, by what the windsocks are doing.

I have a phone number for you to call when you land. Possible pilot deviation. Advise when ready to copy.
Say again?.... You're coming through very weak and garbled. And by the way in case you can hear this transmitter we've decided to leave the area VFR, bye.

This was how I was taught, too. But the last time I returned to my base and made this request, the FBO's operator, who in this case doesn't have line of sight to the runway, was completely confused as to what runway was being used. There's my nomination for something I don't care to hear on the radio.

I'm now reconsidering the practice, and listening for other traffic as early as possible, as I would generally be doing anyway. If I hear no other traffic, I make my own decision based on the AWOS wind direction or designated calm wind runway, and finally, by what the windsocks are doing.
The proliferation of AWOS/ASOS and XM weather has pretty much eliminated the usefulness of an airport advisory from a FBO. I think the last time I requested one was at least 10 years ago.

The simple way to handle these things that seem to knot your knickers is to approach the offending pilot on the ramp or in the FBO and express your annoyance and then read the correct terminology aloud from the AIM you conveniently have tucked under your arm.

Try to do it in as high and squeaky a voice as possible.
Then hand them your copy of the AIM so they can hit you with it.:D

I've never understood why people get their undies in a twist over "Any traffic please advise" on CTAF. I think it's a perfectly sensible and useful question. The sooner I know the traffic situation coming into a pattern, the better and safer we all are. And if someone asks me, I'll tell them where I am and what I'm doing.

What phrase would be better? And how is just listening out and waiting for someone to transmit their position safer than volunteering that info?

So do you honestly think if you don't hear any response there is no traffic? What about that NORDO J3 or Champ in the pattern.

Plus when you call "any traffic please advise" everyone jumps on each other and you get nothing but squeals and static. What good did that do you. When I hear that request, I just wait for my next position call and broadcast then.

Sometimes the freq is so busy you can't get a word in edgewise, I just fly the whole pattern without a call, just listen up, fit in the sequence, land and clear.

The proliferation of AWOS/ASOS and XM weather has pretty much eliminated the usefulness of an airport advisory from a FBO. I think the last time I requested one was at least 10 years ago.

Agree, the usefulness is low. BUT, it's still the proper way to:

1. Let others know you're inbound, and
  2. Find out what runway is in use

Better than the much maligned "any traffic in the area" or just outright asking "yo, what runway we be usin'?"

Folks that truly get peeved about what other pilots say on the radio should stay on the ground. Over and out, good buddy.

LISTEN!

It's useful if there's no traffic and no AWOS. Admittedly a fairly limited set of circumstances, but it's happened to me, and it's nice for planning purposes.

I haven't read all of this but holy cow, four pages! You know, I didn't learn how to fly and buy an airplane to talk on the radio and as much as some folks like to do it there isn't much of anything they could say on it that would really irk me or pi$$ me off. I mean, it's just a darn radio for cripe sakes. You want to get your shorts in a bunch do it in rush hour traffic, you shouldn't be wrapped that tight when you're flying. In my humble opinion....:rolleyes:

I haven't read all of this but holy cow, four pages! You know, I didn't learn how to fly and buy an airplane to talk on the radio and as much as some folks like to do it there isn't much of anything they could say on it that would really irk me or pi$$ me off. I mean, it's just a darn radio for cripe sakes. You want to get your shorts in a bunch do it in rush hour traffic, you shouldn't be wrapped that tight when you're flying. In my humble opinion....:rolleyes:
i just started this thread for fun. no hard feelings at all. sure some of the things that pilots say bother me a little. but its not like i go home and think about what that pilot says and continue to dwell on it and say bad things about the pilot.

The proliferation of AWOS/ASOS and XM weather has pretty much eliminated the usefulness of an airport advisory from a FBO.

I agree. How do you trust whatever random person at some airport somewhere says is the 'active runway'? What does 'active runway' even mean at uncontrolled airport?

When I approach an uncontrolled airport I assume that ALL the runways are active in both directions. Because that's been my experience many times.

WITH YOU!!!!!! I am guilty of it from time to time, but a proper checkin after handoff is bugsmasher 1402A climbing XXX for YYY. or level XXX or decending XXX for YYY

There's only one airport I know of (KRYV) that does this... Otherwise, I've never heard anyone other than a pilot on a non-towered unicom. :(

The airport FBO counter girl asks whoever happens to be standing around "What's our active today?" and for the rest of the day (or until someone tells her differently) answers with "blah blah airport is landing runway xx with local traffic."

The airport FBO counter girl asks whoever happens to be standing around "What's our active today?" and for the rest of the day (or until someone tells her differently) answers with "blah blah airport is landing runway xx with local traffic."

What happens if you tell her local traffic is using 41?

She does the math and says 5 is the active? :dunno:

WITH YOU!!!!!! I am guilty of it from time to time, but a proper checkin after handoff is bugsmasher 1402A climbing XXX for YYY. or level XXX or decending XXX for YYY

close but no cigar - the bolded words discouraged because they might be misunderstood...at least according to the AIM, YMWV

At least she is probably hot, statistically speaking I mean

AOPA has a good webinar about proper radio etiquette. It's worth the time.

"any traffic in the area please advise" is useless.

"Roger" is not the same as the proper response "Wilco" when given orders.

Flight following at first contact you should just say "Nxxxx, level at XXXX" or "Nxxxx climbing/descending to XXXX." And don't say level at FL 08. You're supposed to speak it out. "Nxxxx level at eight thousand"

These are just some examples from their web deal. Not saying they're gospel. I'll probably get my ass flamed off. That's normal here. :D

There is a big difference between FL 08 and 8000, not just the fact one seems to be abbreviated. Actually you would say 80, not 08. Flight levels have to do with your altimeter setting being set at 29.92" regardless of local pressure levels. In the US, flight levels start at 180. In countries where the highest mountains are a few thousand feet (like the UK), flight levels begin at 50 I believe.

It's amazing how many of us flew for years and years without any problems, then the Internet comes along and now we are being told "You're doing it wrong!".

LOL! :rofl:

It's amazing how many of us flew for years and years without any problems, then the Internet comes along and now we are being told "You're doing it wrong!".

LOL! :rofl:

Maybe you should have read the AIM?

Maybe you should have read the AIM?

I have, long long before you ever started flying.

Lots of phraseology has been accepted for years, only now we have private pilots on the Internet bemoaning what they don't find "acceptable".

These "I don't like what I heard on the radio" threads along with "what if we don't equally share expenses" threads are mental masturbation at it's finest. :rolleyes:

I have, long long before you ever started flying

I'll suggest that you don't know when I started flying. I'll also suggest that most of what is complained about here is addressed in the AIM. Perhaps you should re-read it.

I have, long long before you ever started flying.

Lots of phraseology has been accepted for years, only now we have private pilots on the Internet bemoaning what they don't find "acceptable".

These "I don't like what I heard on the radio" threads along with "what if we don't equally share expenses" threads are mental masturbation at it's finest. :rolleyes:

Yes, but it would enhance safety to keep our phraseology somewhat standard.

Babylon had a hard time. ;)

I'll suggest that you don't know when I started flying. I'll also suggest that most of what is complained about here is addressed in the AIM. Perhaps you should re-read it.

I have read and reread it many, many times in my past 40 years flying.

And since you've never occupied my cockpit you have little if any comments on how I handle a radio. :nonod:

You guys keep entertaining yourselves though, it's always good for a laugh. :rolleyes:

AOPA has a good webinar about proper radio etiquette. It's worth the time.

"any traffic in the area please advise" is useless.

"Roger" is not the same as the proper response "Wilco" when given orders.

Flight following at first contact you should just say "Nxxxx, level at XXXX" or "Nxxxx climbing/descending to XXXX." And don't say level at FL 08. You're supposed to speak it out. "Nxxxx level at eight thousand"

These are just some examples from their web deal. Not saying they're gospel. I'll probably get my ass flamed off. That's normal here. :D

That one depends on where you are. Once you get handed of to Havana Center, it FL 080 and they will flame you lol. Same in other locations (FL 08 is incorrect though, should be three digits) so I can forgive that in some circumstances.

Sorry, I am one of the great sinners on handoffs.

"9SA contact Miami approach 123.45"
"123.45 for 9SA Good Day (evening/night) and thanks"
"Miami Approach, 69SA with you level 500'"

How about starting with "uh..."? The first syllable breaks the squelch, as noted by others, so it should not contain any information. "And" works as well as anything.

The carrier breaks the squelch, just keying for 1/2 a second longer works equally well.

"With you" instead of "climbing", "descending", or "level" is my pet peeve.

Back