Things Required For a First Class Medical

Luke

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
traindude2002
Ok, so many of you have brought to my attention that to be a commercial pilot I have to get a First Class Medical which can be difficult due to my mild case of Cystic Fibrosis (Lung Disease) and Chrons (Inflammatory Bowl Disease). Other than that I'm a healthy, slightly active teen. I have located the nearest Designee who is 4 minutes away from my house but I need to know what I have to have to be able to pass. I'm planning on getting advice from my CF doctor even though I've flown on planes many times without a problem, but should I get medical advice from my Chrons doctor? Also, I have other questions like would lack sleep be an issue? Should I wait to get my Medical until after training? Will I having Cystic Fibrosis and Chrons look bad on my resemay when I'm trying to get hired by airlines? Should a 14-year-old actually worry about this type of stuff? I'm just very worried that my Cystic Fibrosis and Chrons disease mat prevent me from being able to get a job as a pilot. Please respond, Luke

Consult an AME. Don't schedule your exam until you are sure you can pass your first class.
sorry to bother you, but what do you mean by consult? Do you mean for me to call them, because while I do have their phone number I'm worried they won't take me seriously since I'm so young.

sorry to bother you, but what do you mean by consult? Do you mean for me to call them, because while I do have their phone number I'm worried they won't take me seriously since I'm so young.
Yea call them up and tell them you want to schedule a consultation for an aviation medical.

Yea call them up and tell them you want to schedule a consultation for an aviation medical.
And this will be my last time bothering you, are consultations free?

BTW... You need a Class 2 medical to act as a commercial pilot. A Class 1 medical is needed to be an ATP. Lot's of jobs out there that only require a Class 2.

All that being said, do what the others have said. Get a consult. Even for the Class 3. You don't want to be denied at all. Not being denied, still allows for fun flying as a Sport pilot. If you get denied, you're options are balloons and gliders.

You said in your first post that you are 14. But you can't solo an airplane until you are 16. I believe you can solo a glider at 14 but you don't need a medical for that. Would an AME give a medical to a 14-year-old? In any case, as others have mentioned, get a consultation first. Hopefully an AME will respond on this thread...

An AME can issue a certificate (medical only) to any one no matter at what age, as there is no student pilot certificate attached any longer. The advisability of that issuance, however is questionable.....and in Luke's case, wouldn't help him at all as it would be a special issuance (one year at a time documentation...nothing gained).

@Luke, the post above this one from Dr. Chien (bbchien) is your answer. He is one of the best AMEs around and does a lot of work on special issuances like the one he says you will need.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back