There really is a $100 Hamburger!

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
"BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) -- A hundred bucks might buy you more than six dozen burgers from McDonald's, but the swanky Old Homestead Steakhouse will sell you one brawny beef sandwich for the same price.

Boca Raton Mayor Steven Abrams could barely speak between bites as he devoured the 20-ounce, $100 hamburger billed as the "beluga caviar of sandwiches."

"Heaven on a bun," restaurant owner Marc Sherry said.

The burger debuted Tuesday at the restaurant in the Boca Raton Resort and Club, where a membership costs $40,000 and an additional $3,600 a year.

"We've never had a hamburger on our menu here so we really wanted to go to the extreme," Sherry said, calling it "the most decadent burger in the world."

At about 5 1/2 inches across and 2 1/2 inches thick, the mound of meat is comprised of beef from three continents - American prime beef, Japanese Kobe and Argentine cattle.

The bill for one burger, with garnishing that includes organic greens, exotic mushrooms and tomatoes, comes out to $124.50 with tax and an 18 percent tip included. The restaurant will donate $10 from each sale to the Make-A-Wish Foundation."

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
"BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) -- A hundred bucks might buy you more than six dozen burgers from McDonald's, but the swanky Old Homestead Steakhouse will sell you one brawny beef sandwich for the same price.

Boca Raton Mayor Steven Abrams could barely speak between bites as he devoured the 20-ounce, $100 hamburger billed as the "beluga caviar of sandwiches."

"Heaven on a bun," restaurant owner Marc Sherry said.

The burger debuted Tuesday at the restaurant in the Boca Raton Resort and Club, where a membership costs $40,000 and an additional $3,600 a year.

"We've never had a hamburger on our menu here so we really wanted to go to the extreme," Sherry said, calling it "the most decadent burger in the world."

At about 5 1/2 inches across and 2 1/2 inches thick, the mound of meat is comprised of beef from three continents - American prime beef, Japanese Kobe and Argentine cattle.

The bill for one burger, with garnishing that includes organic greens, exotic mushrooms and tomatoes, comes out to $124.50 with tax and an 18 percent tip included. The restaurant will donate $10 from each sale to the Make-A-Wish Foundation."

-Skip

Methinks they should send that $10 to the American Heart Association instead.

$40,000 to join...sheesh

SJP said:
Methinks they should send that $10 to the American Heart Association instead.

$40,000 to join...sheesh

I don't understand it, but I'm not really into golf either. I was at a very old, very "classy" course this weekend for a very large charity event. What I couldn't fathom is that people wait 20+ years to pay a $100k initiation fee and a $50k yearly "maintenance fee", plus other fees to belong here. I mean... it was beautiful, and a nice course... but COME ON!

Then again, people look at me funny when I talk about renting a plane for $100/hr.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
I don't understand it, but I'm not really into golf either. I was at a very old, very "classy" course this weekend for a very large charity event. What I couldn't fathom is that people wait 20+ years to pay a $100k initiation fee and a $50k yearly "maintenance fee", plus other fees to belong here. I mean... it was beautiful, and a nice course... but COME ON!

Then again, people look at me funny when I talk about renting a plane for $100/hr.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I'd rather fly a plane for 500 hrs a year than play golf 500 hrs a year.

wbarnhill said:
I'd rather fly a plane for 500 hrs a year than play golf 500 hrs a year.
I'd like to do both. Fly to the golf course and play a round.

Have never enjoyed golf; violates too many economic principles!

You pay a bunch of money to see how little you can play. :dunno:

I've always been an advocate of more strokes to get my money's worth :yes:

Best,

Dave

Skip Miller said:
where a membership costs $40,000 and an additional $3,600 a year.

I thought that was ridiculously expensive, until I realized that's very cheap compared to owning an airplane! :eek:

Back