There is crying in softball!

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
Out in Oregon the other day Western Oregon was playing another team in their league. A girl hit a ball over the outfield fence for a HR. She had never hit a home run before. She was running and watching the ball as it sailed over the fence. She missed first base and tried to stop quickly and go back to tag the base. Her knee buckled and down she went. She couldn't get up. She was told that unless she touched all bases it couldn't be a HR. She was told that her coach, or team mates couldn't help her. That is when two girls from the opposing team came to her rescue. They picked her up and carried her around the bases, stopping at each base to let the injured player tag the base. So she got her HR. That is when the crying in softball came into play. They said there wasn't a dry eye in the stands. Bob

Do you think you would see this in men's sports? I say no way. Hurray for Title 9.

Do you think you would see this in men's sports? I say no way. Hurray for Title 9.

There was discussion about that in the softball message board I am on. Consensus seemed to be if it was league ball - yes. Tournament ball - no. Tournaments mean more than league to most guys.

You're in support of Title 9, Chip? Really? I don't want to go down a slippery spin zone slope, but some day, if you're game, I'd really like to pick your brain on that one. You're the first person I've heard (that wasn't a female college athlete) that has publicly spoken in favor of it!

I would have never expected it in any professional level sport but I'm glad to see it here. Would it happen on a guy's college team? Who knows? I wouldn't be upset either way. She hit the ball and the rest of the run not being made without help was just a freak incident. She did her part.

You're in support of Title 9, Chip? Really? I don't want to go down a slippery spin zone slope, but some day, if you're game, I'd really like to pick your brain on that one. You're the first person I've heard (that wasn't a female college athlete) that has publicly spoken in favor of it!

I'm the father of a daughter who's being recruited to play college sports. I don't claim to be objective.

Back