The Windsor Locks, Connecticut Tornado of October 3, 1979

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I finally managed to get my grandfather's pictures from that aftermath of the Windsor Locks, CT Tornado in October of '79 uploaded. The tornado distroyed his Beech Duke (N1234A) while it was at BDL for an annual. This was also the same tornado that distroyed the B-29 that is currently undergoing continuous restoration at the New England Air Museum next to the airport in Windsor Locks.

Click here to check out the pictures.
Here's an image that will hopefully capture the aftermath damage and will make you click the link. :)

N1234A.jpg

Here's an analysis of the tornado from the Detpartment of Atmospheric Science at the State University of New York:

The Windsor Locks, Connecticut Tornado of 3 October 1979: An Analysis of an Intermittent Severe Weather Event

Gary T. Riley and Lance F. Bosart
Department of Atmospheric Science, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, NY 12222
(Manuscript received September 2, 1986, in final form January 13, 1987)
[SIZE=-1]On 3 October 1979 a violent F4 tornado struck without warning at Windsor Locks, Connecticut just before 1900 UTC. It was the most destructive storm ever to occur in Connecticut. Our case study of the storm was motivated by the rarity of tornadoes in Connecticut and the unfavorable time of the year for such storms in New England.
indent.gif
The history of the storm is traced by means of synoptic and subsynoptic scale analyses. Vigorous midtropospheric ascent occurred just in advance of a cold-core cutoff vortex that was opening up due to synoptic scale deformation while moving northeastward toward southern New England.
indent.gif
The probable destabilization mechanism was the intersection of the northeastward moving pocket of cool air aloft with a tongue of high equivalent potential temperature surface air that originated over the relatively warm ocean water and was channeled northward through the Connecticut River Valley. The convective cell that eventually became associated with the Windsor Locks tornado was detected over the Atlantic Ocean south of Long Island. Tornadogenesis occurred with the merger of this cell with an antecedent northeastward moving subsynoptic scale surface cyclone and surface warm frontal boundary. Immediately preceding and accompanying tornadogenesis the aforementioned radar cell turned to the left and moved northward across Long Island and through the north-south oriented Connecticut River Valley. The absence of quantitative radar data and off-time soundings precludes us from making any definitive statement about left moving supercell development-versus orographic channeling as an explanation for the leftward jog in the storm track during the time of the tornado.
indent.gif
A probable factor in the absence of severe weather watches was that the radar indicated thunderstorm cloud tops were not penetrating the conventionally reported tropopause. Evidence is presented that the actual tropopause was much lower near the vortex and that the lapse rate definition of the tropopause needs to be modified.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Wow. There's something I hope I never see.

I noticed several planes of different types had their tail ripped clean off. Why at that aft bulkhead? What would be the forces involved? I'm guessing shear but that can't be all. Several had the tail drop straight down, is that an indication of a lack of rotation?

Last edited:
Hmm, no response to my questions. Is the pox upon me or am I alone in being fascinated by post-disaster metal bending?

I'm right there with you Richard!

You have to admit he has/had a GREAT tail number, no?!

Richard said:
I noticed several planes of different types had their tail ripped clean off. Why at that aft bulkhead? What would be the forces involved? I'm guessing shear but that can't be all. Several had the tail drop straight down, is that an indication of a lack of rotation?

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry I can't really answer all of your questions, but I will try and find answers. I believe the strong shear was the main force that ripped the tail section off of the aircraft.

Also note that my grandfather's Duke was in a hangar at time of the tornado, but as you can see what happened to the hangar, a lear jet somehow ended up on top of the Duke.

CapeCodJay said:
You have to admit he has/had a GREAT tail number, no?!
It was a great tail number. My grandfather originally wanted something to do with his initials (eg: N123SH) but something like that wasn't available. He just happened to be on the phone with the FAA when N1234A became available and he took it.

He bought a new Duke (same color and equip, and tail number) from Beech after this one was basically destroyed. Last I heard the aircraft had an accident, but is still flying out of Washington [State].

Jason

smigaldi said:
It looks like that plane was not even tied down, which is even worse as the other planes that were tied down near it don't look damged.

Scott...it was even worse than that. That was just one of my better pictures. I will send you some if you would like.

Richard said:

If they were in the hangar when the tornado hit, it could be that part of the hangar wall or roof hit the aircraft when the hangar came apart, causing similar damage to the aircraft tails??

Richard said:

Looking at them, the tails aren't really ripped straight off. Some of them are twisted off. WAG: the vertical stabilizer presented a large sail area, and the high winds twisted the tails off.

The ones that look as if they dropped straight down also have the nose gears and/or main gears collapsed. WAG: The planes were picked straight up by the winds, then dropped, and the fuselage just failed at a weak point.

Just unedumacated guesses.

Joe Williams said:
Looking at them, the tails aren't really ripped straight off. Some of them are twisted off. WAG: the vertical stabilizer presented a large sail area, and the high winds twisted the tails off.

The ones that look as if they dropped straight down also have the nose gears and/or main gears collapsed. WAG: The planes were picked straight up by the winds, then dropped, and the fuselage just failed at a weak point.

Just unedumacated guesses.
Yeah, I was thinking the tail section presented enough surface area to impose a strain on the fuselage and it was at that particular bulkhead which presented enough of an arm (from the center of aerodynamic pressure) to exceed the structural strength of the metal. Or perhaps it was the rapid acceleration of the event which acted to exceed the modulas of elasticity of the metal skin and fasteners.

I know I could explain this better but hopefully you know what I'm saying.

Back