The Weekend's flights.

Walter233

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Walter
Well, lets start with Saturday's 2...

So, I got out to the glider club at around 11AM, winds were out of variable from 180 - 230 from 14kts. gusting to 20 earlier from 1-5PM. So, I take a dual flight around the pattern to get solo current again, we launch from 28 and the flight went fine, current for another 45 days. My instructor wanted me to wait a bit for the winds to die as it was still gusting to about 18kts. with a 80-90 degree crosswind, so an hour and a half later the wind is sustained at 11kts and I decide to take one solo flight on Saturday. So, we launch from 28 and bump our way up, as I passed 2,000, I thought I had found some consistant 1,000FPM up lift and decided to release to find that it was just "sucker lift" :rolleyes:. Back down at 1,650 the vario starts coming up to 200 up, and I worked my way back up to 2,000, then 1,700, and back up to 1,900 before I decended down to Pattern altitude, so I entered the crosswind for 28, I did a good pattern and made a decent landing, I had 16 minutes on that flight. So I had decided i'd wait to see like what it was tomorrow for another flight.

Wow today was a much better day, the average flight time was an hour and a half with the longest of the day being 2:02. So I launch from 32 today, and go up to 3,000. Immeadiately off tow I found some 500 FPM up, which brought me up to 3,700, before I fell out of the thermal, (Today, you had to be in a 50-70 degree bank to stay in it any thermals as I had found.) So I searched around and back at 3,000 I found another strong thermal, and I got near the cloud base (4,000 ft.) before that thermal topped out. After that there was strong sink (700-1,000 +FPM down.) before I found another thermal a bit downwind at 2.600Ft which brought me back to 3,400. After that I found two more thermals, before I had to come down because I had to leave :mad2:. So I entered the pattern, and made an awesome landing, and got 40 minutes that flight. All in all a good flight for me, and the longest solo glider flight i've made. :yesnod:

Hoping to get over an hour the next time!

-Walter

After that I found two more thermals, before I had to come down because I had to leave :mad2:.
That's not really a bad thing, to be able to (honestly) say "I could have stayed up longer, but..."
You'll bust an hour next time. :thumbsup:

Well, coming back from Wings on Sunday, we were warned of a gaggle of gliders up to 7,000' in PA. Apparently, they were having some sort of gliderthon. Well, at 6,000' we were IMC in broken clouds we decided that we didn't want to chance a glider not paying attention and breaking through the layer. We didn't think it too likely, but better safe than sorry, as they say. Anyways, we got a climb to 8,000, and a number of other planes requested diversions. We all felt that trying to keep track of that many visual targets was an exercise in futility. Of course, we nevr saw the first glider, but other planes reported seeing up to a dozen of them.

grant there was a contest in Mifflin, PA that started on Sunday.

Got a FR on Saturday, gave a FR on Sunday. Then flew 3.5 hours home.

Back