The weather gods come through for me.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
I have a ski tournament in northern MN tomorrow and had originally planned to fly up early in the morning (6:30 AM is early for me) and return to Mpls later in the day but earlier in the week the forecasts were calling for freezing precip along the route. Given that I'd rather not push my deice to (or beyond :yikes:) it's limits I let the others who were going that we'd have to make the trip by car. But today things started looking better and better. First the precip turned to rain then it vanished completely from the area and terminal forecasts. Now it's looking like the CAVU on the way up and maybe some 4000-6000 AGL clouds with no precip at all until long before I'd be home. So a frantic race to find a rental van and a trip to the hangar to get the plane fueled and ready (GPS updates, preflight etc) and I'm all set. Hopefully the wx will stick to the short range forecast and it will be smooth sailing up and back. This is a 55 min flight plus a 35 minute drive at the distant end vs 4+ hours in the car each way. Most importantly it means getting up around 5:30 instead of 3:30.

Have fun Lance!

Have fun Lance!

I'll be racing on a pair of skis I just got a week ago and don't have much "time in type" with. Hopefully there will be no broken bones.

Northern MN? X-country race?

Good luck!

The race is/was a statewide Nastar meet. I didn't do as well on the new skis as I'd hoped but didn't fall or break any bones so I'm gonna count it as a success. The weather coming and going, OTOH, was a complete success. Other than a mostly false ASOS report of 1-1/4 mile visibility at KHIB (Hibbing MN) there was nothing but good VMC. We got back home around 2:30pm and the light rain didn't begin in the area until around 5:30PM at which time the surface temp was still well above freezing.

Back