The VFR Use of a Tablet (Apple/Android)

Murrgh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Murrgh
Howdy everyone,

I'm just curious as to how everyone uses their iPads/Nexus 7's etc. in flight. I personally have an iPad and a Galaxy Tab Note 10.1, but was curious as to how these help a VFR pilot inflight. I recently was running some XC's with my instructor and we had the sectional out, checking our location using the VOR and drawing lines on our sectional, also checking our flight plan and surrounding markers we chose, which was great and all, but as I was driving home I thought that surely there was a way to consolidate this all into one. Is this how people fly using tablets, or do I have it all wrong? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using the charts and doing things by hand, but I'd also like to know what others do.

Thanks in advance,

Murrgh

P.S - I've only just started flying, I'm around 25 hours right now into my PPL, plan on going into IFR afterwords, then adding Multi on after that as well. So please forgive me if this question seems obvious/ridiculous.

Yes, I have an iPad with ForeFlight and it has the sectionals, does moving map and has the airport guide. It is also great for flight planning. I also use Cloud Ahoy enroute to track my flights occasionally.

You need to be able to deal with it without a tablet, however, yes these are great things.

Yes, I have an iPad with ForeFlight and it has the sectionals, does moving map and has the airport guide. It is also great for flight planning. I also use Cloud Ahoy enroute to track my flights occasionally.

So by using my iPad, I can eliminate using paper sectionals and rely on my iPad? (Granted, I would keep them as a backup)

You need to be able to deal with it without a tablet, however, yes these are great things.

Of course, I'm not trying to avoid learning by using an iPad, the flight school I'm at requires me to do everything without technology so that I know how to do it.

Of course, I'm not trying to avoid learning by using an iPad, the flight school I'm at requires me to do everything without technology so that I know how to do it.

Not accusing you of such. But once you do learn the basics, they are better than sliced bread. I actually use my iPad with Foreflight in place of a panel mounted GPS for VFR operations. It does a better job than a Garmin 430 other than it can't drive an autopilot.

for IFR ops, I'm still relegated to VORs and the ILS. But it's nice to have your position displayed for you on the enroute chart, displayed on the iPad.

I carry no charts. iPad is primary for charts, iPhone is backup.

IFR GPS in the panel too. Paper is a waste of time.

A moving map device is invaluable for situational awareness, even as a student. I had a Garmin 496 on my check ride and the DPE made sure I could use it. I consider it a safety item. Yes, you should know how to use the mechanical and paper navigational tools, but you should also have and know how to use the more modern navigational tools. Why, because they are more accurate, provide quick or instant results and therefore increase your safety. If you have one of those old school CFI's who won't let you use modern technology, I would find a new CFI. Mine made sure I was proficient in both paper charts and using a modern VFR GPS and the DPE also made sure I knew how to use it.

I use an IPad and Foreflight, and have used it for a VFR flight from Denver to Tampa and back (in addition to all my other flights).
I love Foreflight and the IPad. I have all sectionals, TACs, and AFD info for the country.
Foreflight acts like any other GPS, but overlaying all the information over seamless sectionals.

I keep a set of WACs in the bird as emergency backups, I replace them every couple of years.

Thanks for all the information! I have the first gen iPad (bought it when it first came out) and realized I didn't have much use for it between my phone/mac/etc but now I have an excuse to buy a new iPad! Rumor has it the 5th gen will be announced in April, then go on sale in June, so I'll hold off until then.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the information! I have the first gen iPad (bought it when it first came out) and realized I didn't have much use for it between my phone/mac/etc but now I have an excuse to buy a new iPad! Rumor has it the 5th gen will be announced in April, then go on sale in June, so I'll hold off until then.

Thanks!

Unless you have a desire for the latest and greatest or like the size of the mini, the 1st gen iPad works fine with ForeFlight. I have version 5 running on mine for VFR nav with a 3Gs iPhone as backup.

Cheers

Get skilled navigating with a paper chart and your eyeballs first. Trust me, it is a skill worth having and may save your bacon one day. You'll enjoy flying more knowing that you have good non-technological skills tucked safely away in your head. Once you master pilotage and dead reckoning without a moving map, then, by all means, enjoy the benefits of an iPad or other GPS.

First gen. iPad works well. Is your iPad a wifi only or do you have data available ( not necessarily activated)

It's important to understand and be proficient with the "old school" tools. But once mastered you can incorporate the iPad and compare results.

Once in the real world, you'll likely use the iPad or similar tools rather than paper. It's the future and the FAA recognizes that fact...at least the examiners I've been using do.

First gen. iPad works well. Is your iPad a wifi only or do you have data available ( not necessarily activated)

WiFi and part of preflight planning is checking updates prior to departing from home.

I use a Dual GPS connected via Bluetooth in the plane.

Cheers

A moving map device is invaluable for situational awareness, even as a student. I had a Garmin 496 on my check ride and the DPE made sure I could use it. I consider it a safety item. Yes, you should know how to use the mechanical and paper navigational tools, but you should also have and know how to use the more modern navigational tools. Why, because they are more accurate, provide quick or instant results and therefore increase your safety. If you have one of those old school CFI's who won't let you use modern technology, I would find a new CFI. Mine made sure I was proficient in both paper charts and using a modern VFR GPS and the DPE also made sure I knew how to use it.

Nah, she's not old school. It's like Write-Stuff said:

Get skilled navigating with a paper chart and your eyeballs first. Trust me, it is a skill worth having and may save your bacon one day. You'll enjoy flying more knowing that you have good non-technological skills tucked safely away in your head. Once you master pilotage and dead reckoning without a moving map, then, by all means, enjoy the benefits of an iPad or other GPS.

-----

Unless you have a desire for the latest and greatest or like the size of the mini, the 1st gen iPad works fine with ForeFlight. I have version 5 running on mine for VFR nav with a 3Gs iPhone as backup.

Cheers

Heh, I enjoy having the latest and greatest :D

-----

First Gen iPads were Wifi only, but I can always connect it via Bluetooth to my iPhone.

-----
It's important to understand and be proficient with the "old school" tools. But once mastered you can incorporate the iPad and compare results.

Once in the real world, you'll likely use the iPad or similar tools rather than paper. It's the future and the FAA recognizes that fact...at least the examiners I've been using do.

That's whats happening right now, Once I am proficient at using the old school stuff, then I'm allowed to use more modern tools.

First Gen iPads were Wifi only, but I can always connect it via Bluetooth to my iPhone.
Incorrect. Even the original iPads could be purchased in either 3G or WIFI-only versions.
The one I use for my EFB is one of those.

^^^ exactly.
My first gen. iPad is 3G, ff works great with internal antenna.

I carry no charts. iPad is primary for charts, iPhone is backup.

IFR GPS in the panel too. Paper is a waste of time.
:yes: I ditched paper awhile ago. Saves money and headaches trying to find the 1 enroute chart you need or the 1 sectional you need to finish the trip.

I learned on paper. It was fine.. but not having to fold/refold/unfold/repeat and then fumble trying to find "TOTEC" intersection on it is totally worth it.

I learned on paper. It was fine.. but not having to fold/refold/unfold/repeat and then fumble trying to find "TOTEC" intersection on it is totally worth it.

I couldn't agree more! :yes:

While a gen1 iPad MAY work, the writing is on the wall... it just doesn't have the power needed for the computations used in modern moving maps. Both WingX and Garmin Pilot say NO to gen1. (at least for some features). Plus, by now the battery ought to be lasting less and less.
I use iPad mini, along with Garmin 296, Nexus 7, plus Android and iPhone backups. I keep one old chart for "emergencies"... most likely to be used as firestarter ;>)

While a gen1 iPad MAY work, the writing is on the wall... it just doesn't have the power needed for the computations used in modern moving maps.

Runs fine with FF v5.0 and the battery is as good as when I bought it. :dunno:

If FF abandons the original, the Grandkids will have a new toy. ;)

Cheers

While a gen1 iPad MAY work, the writing is on the wall... it just doesn't have the power needed for the computations used in modern moving maps. Both WingX and Garmin Pilot say NO to gen1. (at least for some features). Plus, by now the battery ought to be lasting less and less.
I use iPad mini, along with Garmin 296, Nexus 7, plus Android and iPhone backups. I keep one old chart for "emergencies"... most likely to be used as firestarter ;>)

Nonsense. Computations for a moving map aren't that tough, and they don't grow.

The reason old hardware gets dropped is testing costs. Every platform has its quirks, and testing scales directly with their number.

I'm pretty sure that last couple of versions of ForeFlight won't run on an iPad 1 at all because of the requirement for the latest OS.

Since the OP likes having the latest and greatest, get an iPad Mini. I have both and the full size iPad has not seen use since the day I got the mini. It's perfectly sized for the GA cockpit and runs fast and cool. Lighter, too and easier to hold/mount. I suppose if you want to wait and see if the Mini line gets a retina display in the next few months you could. But honestly the current model's display is more than adequate.

And it's true that some features/OS versions are not available on the older hardware. This will become more prevalent as time goes on. I've seen substantial differences in app performance and battery performance between my original ipad, ipad 3 and ipad mini...

I'm pretty sure that last couple of versions of ForeFlight won't run on an iPad 1 at all because of the requirement for the latest OS.

As I said in an earlier post, version 5.0 is running fine on my first gen iPad. :yes:

Cheers

As I said in an earlier post, version 5.0 is running fine on my first gen iPad. :yes:

Cheers

My mistake. I remember that a "new" version of FF came out last year that required iOS 5.1ish. It wasn't until iOS 6.0 that support for the iPad 1 was dropped.

My mistake. I remember that a "new" version of FF came out last year that required iOS 5.1ish. It wasn't until iOS 6.0 that support for the iPad 1 was dropped.

What is true is all FF versions including 5.0 run fine on the original iPad but the APPLE iOS Version 6.0 and up will not run on the original iPad.

If a FF in the future requires Apple iOS 6, my iPad becomes an Angry Bird device for the Grandkids. ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Back