The use of a Courtesy Car?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Any info on how a courtesy car works? Ive never had to use one before and Im planning to take a cross country over to GKT (Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge) soon, and was hoping to use this service to grab a bite to eat before the return flight home. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ryan

Call the FBO. It's usually first come first serve. If you call them ahead and tell them when you need it, they might reserve it for you.

I usually put in a few gallons of gas. Try and leave the car with more than it came with.

I own cabins in Gatlinburg and have flown into KGKT on a couple occasions sometimes just for an hour to meet with one of the managers. I asked for a courtesy car there and was told they had none but I was welcome to rent a car from the on airport car rental place. I do not remember if it was Avis or Enterprise or what but it was not cheap.

I will see if I am able to reserve it. The only problem is being that im only 18, a rental car is out of the question, since the minimum age is 25 for those. So im not sure if a courtesy car will be either, but I would assume since its an airport owned vehicle it may be different. I may be out of luck, but I will have to give the FBO a call.

Last edited:
I will see if I am able to reserve it. The only problem is being that im only 18, a rental car is out of the question, since the minimum age is 25 for those. So im not sure if a courtesy car will be either, but I would assume since its an airport owned vehicle it may be different. I may be out of luck, but I will have to give the FBO a call.

Shouldn't be a problem, also 18. They just take down your drivers license info and hand you the keys typically. IF they even look at your drivers license.

Unless it has changed, KGKT does not have a courtesy car regardless of age.

No smoking
Put some gas in
don't keep it > 3 hours unless offered
Buy gas for plane
Don't trash the interior

Courtesy cars are not usually a problem at 18 but I have seen some of the larger FBOs require 21 on the agreement you sign.

If you arrive later in the day it is often available overnight. If you may arrive after the FBO is closed, call ahead and see if it is available. Some FBOs will give a code to a lockbox with the keys. And some are so old and shot they leave the keys under the floor mat.

Unless it has changed, KGKT does not have a courtesy car regardless of age.

Hard to believe... That is a " destination" ... The local chamber of commerce needs to get at least an old cop car out there to the FBO.... IMHO...

If they give me a car, I try to buy gas and patronize them. If they don't have a crew car, I do not feel obligated to buy gas....

Make sure to call ahead,courtesy cars come and go. If you do get one make sure to put gas in the car or give a donation to the FBO.

Hard to believe... That is a " destination" ... The local chamber of commerce needs to get at least an old cop car out there to the FBO.... IMHO...
I guess they don't want to undercut the car rental place which is staffed on airport in the FBO building.
I live 2 hours by car from here and own a few rental cabins in Gatlinburg so am pretty familiar with the area and have flown into this airport a few times.

My experience has been that the greater the "destination", the less likely the airport or FBO will have a courtesy car. Generally airports off the beaten path are more likely to have a car to attract visitors to town.

Another note: larger FBOs catering to Jets will often have crew cars. They're intended for use of the crews who have time to kill (and the boss's fuel card) and provide thousands of dollars in business through ramp fees in fuel sales. Occasionally they'll let us light GA folks borrow the car even though we're likely to send less than a Grant. They tend to be nicer than the municipal airport courtesy car, but the same rules apply--replace your gas used leave it clean. The FBO employees will like you...the 135 never replace the gas and leave their trash behind :)

I haven't been 18 since the mid-90's, but I recall a couple times I was denied a car due to the age 25 requirement most FBOs have.

Though, I also don't recall ever providing a driver's license either (they just asked or I looked younger than I was). If you look older, they might give it to you with no questions.

As others have said, I'd always put in a little more gas than I actually used, and of course make sure it's still tidy when you return it.

I haven't been 18 since the mid-90's, but I recall a couple times I was denied a car due to the age 25 requirement most FBOs have.

Though, I also don't recall ever providing a driver's license either (they just asked or I looked younger than I was). If you look older, they might give it to you with no questions.

As others have said, I'd always put in a little more gas than I actually used, and of course make sure it's still tidy when you return it.

I always fill it up...

Whats another 15 -20 bucks..?:dunno:

Hereford Texas has three of them. I kept their Tahoe for almost a week.

Returned it full of gas, cleaned up, I aired up the tires out at the farm. They were low.

Good thing I had the Tahoe and the 4X4 works. It snowed and driving was treacherous.

Courtesy car use varies from airport to airport. Some are provided by the city, some are provided by the FBO. Some airports have more than one car and will allow you to take them for an extended period of time (like overnight) and some want them back pretty quickly. Most are first come first serve.

My rule of thumb has always been to assume you're going to need to rent a car if you're staying overnight. It is a bonus if you can snag a crew car instead.

If you absolutely must have transportation at your destination I'd suggest calling ahead of time so you can determine what your options are.

Its more of a fun XC and a 100$ hamburger run. Except the hamburger would come from Fuddruckers which is only about 10 minutes from the airport and a local favorite of mine. Would only need the crew car for maybe an hour. Like you all say, i will definetly call to see what my options are. Thanks again!

I've noticed a lot will not "reserve" the car for you. Most are on a strick first come, first serve basis. But some may reserve it, worth asking. As a former FBO employee, some rules of thumb with courtesy cars:

They are there so crews can go grab a bite to eat...don't keep it more than an hour or two. There will probably be a crew waiting to use it when you get back.

Fill it up with gas...don't be that cheap a** that doesn't put a drop of fuel in it. This is usually a problem with the 135 charter guys. If you can't afford to put a few gallons in the car...you can't afford to be eating out...pack a lunch.

Don't leave your crap in it

Don't tear it up

I used courtesy cars all the time when I got my license at 17 and never got turned down for one because I wasn't 25.

You can rent under 25 you will just be charged an underage fee, usually an extra $25 per day.

I always fill it up...

Whats another 15 -20 bucks..?:dunno:
:thumbsup:

If I get a courtesy car, I try and always fill the tank...

FBOs use these to encourage us to land...I'll use my credit card to encourage them to continue the practice.

You won't get a curtesy care at Gatlinburg, but there is a car rental agency on site. You might want to call ahead to make certain there are rentals available.

I've used a courtesy car four times: twice for meals-at Auburn to go to MaCalister's and in Guntersville to go to a local place. Both were so close there was no gas station between there and the airport so I left a two dollar bill with the keys at the desk. Once in Taylorsville IL the guy at the FBO gave me his car because the CC was getting service. I left a five on the dash when I returned. The longest I had a CC was for a funeral in Fayette AL for about four hours and 30 miles. I called ahead to reserve it and filled the tank when I returned. In all but the last, I got fuel.

As someone that runs the FBO/Airport, I can tell you that it does get frustrating some times the way some people use courtesy cars. Yes, we will let you use them overnight, but not if you arrive at 8:00 am. Also, you can't use it to drive three hours away to Atlanta, and no, you can't keep it for three days. If you call in advance, we WILL try and reserve it for you, but yes, it is first come first serve. It's not expected, but as others have said, it's nice if you through a few dollars of gas into the tank...helps us keep them running for free!

That being said, you can stop in at Winchester (BGF) and we've got two courtesy cars that are used frequently. I do not believe the insurance we carry for them requires the driver to be over any certain age, but I will have to double check that. Emily at GKT will treat you right. She and I have been friends for a few years now. Tell her Zach said hello :)

Where are you located Steingar?

I haven't used a courtesy car in a while, but I used to top the tank every time. I always wondered why the tanks were so low in most of them.

Most were beater cars, but some were very nice. I miss the old days when no one even asked for an ID, they'd just toss you the keys.

I haven't used a courtesy car in a while, but I used to top the tank every time. I always wondered why the tanks were so low in most of them.

Most were beater cars, but some were very nice. I miss the old days when no one even asked for an ID, they'd just toss you the keys.

Yeah, I always try and be cool about it. Not everywhere has them now, but they are very welcome at those places that do.

My apologies, I meant to ask RyanB where he was located since he was the original poster, lol. :mad2:

Im in Chattanooga, fly out of Dallas Bay 1A0

Last edited:
Right on. I have many frequent visitors from Dallas Bay, Cleveland, Collegedale, and Chattanooga.

We have one at my home base a mostly unattended field. Keys are in the desk drawer, write down name, phone number and tail number. We haven't put gas in it in the 6 years I have been on the airport commission. The city supplied the car, nicer older police car, and they take care of the insurance and service.

We have one at my home base a mostly unattended field. Keys are in the desk drawer, write down name, phone number and tail number. We haven't put gas in it in the 6 years I have been on the airport commission. The city supplied the car, nicer older police car, and they take care of the insurance and service.

Does it come equipped with the flashing lights and sirens? :lol::lol:

I have never had to show ID to get the crew car, but then the last one I used at KSVE had something like 400,000 miles on it.

We stopped in for fuel in "middle of nowhere" KS once. SS fuel, building open, keys left in the crew car. Fueled up, drove to lunch, came back, departed and didn't see a soul!

We stopped in for fuel in "middle of nowhere" KS once. SS fuel, building open, keys left in the crew car. Fueled up, drove to lunch, came back, departed and didn't see a soul!

Isnt that something, LOL, if only all FBO's were that lenient.

Im in Chattanooga, fly out of Dallas Bay 1A0

Wilson Air @ KCHA has the best crew cars! (Qty=3) Brand new Nissan and Volkswagen.

I once flew into Dalton GA (KDNN) and the crew car was out. The guy at the front desk gave me the keys to his personal pickup truck. Talk about customer service!

Back