The Ultimate Cross Country

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
In July, I am going back to New Hampshire for the Brennan family yearly fishing trip. Today I started thinking about it....why not fly myself?

Of course, I'm just kicking this around right now, and I'm ready to apply the brakes on my idea quickly if this winds up being a bad idea.

Has anyone ever flown across the country in a rental plane? Can anyone suggest whether or not this would be a bad idea? My only concern would be what to do if I run into mechanical problems 1500 miles away from Albuquerque. That would suck.

Using tomorrow's winds as a guideline, I figure that I could make it up there with 3 or 4 fuel stops. Coming back, I'd be looking at like 5 or 6 stops.

Seems like it would be a blast! But it could also be a nightmare. Cost does not come into the factor, because for the experience, I figure any price would be worth it.

NickDBrennan said:
Has anyone ever flown across the country in a rental plane?

Yes:

Sacramento RT New Orleans in a rental Mooney M20C
Philadelphia RT Washington/Oregon in a rental Grumman Cougar

And the x-the country ferry flights:

Burlington, VT to Sacramento in a Cessna 152
Ashland, WI to Sacramento in a Cessna 172
Lancaster, PA to Las Vegas in a Mooney M20A

Can anyone suggest whether or not this would be a bad idea?

It all depends on your schedule and the airplane's mechanical state. If you don't have a few days leeway either side of your proposed travel day(s) I wouldn't advise it. If the aircraft rental record at the local FBO is one of scads of mechanical issues I wouldn't advise it. OTOH, if you have a few days leeway, and if you have had very good mechanical experience with the rental planes I'd go for it.

My only concern would be what to do if I run into mechanical problems 1500 miles away from Albuquerque. That would suck.

I fly airline travel quite a bit for business so I have a pile of frequent flier tickets on both United and US Airways. My philosophy whether flying rental airplanes or my own airplane is that the frequent flier miles will get me home and back to the plane if a long duration mechanical takes the rental plane out of the game. So far I've only had to use that option once, and that is after making probably 10 or so x-the country trips, plus scads of <1000 nm trips in 19 years of flying. Yes, I've had one or two mechanical issues that added a few hours to the trip, but with the exception of one big issue, nothing has really caused me any problems.

Using tomorrow's winds as a guideline, I figure that I could make it up there with 3 or 4 fuel stops. Coming back, I'd be looking at like 5 or 6 stops.

What the heck are you considering flying? A J-3 Cub? Find a rental Mooney--it is a one stop flight eastbound and two stops westbound. :rolleyes:

Seems like it would be a blast! But it could also be a nightmare. Cost does not come into the factor, because for the experience, I figure any price would be worth it.

Looking back on the x-the country GA trips I've made even the nightmares were a blast. Go for it.

I ferried planes both new and used accross the country and had a lot of fun. I kept a diary of my trips and as I look at it it brings some great memories. The longest trip in time was 9 days from ICT to BWI, It was in the winter and I spent 7 of the nine days in CRW waiting for the weather to clear. It was a new plane with one radio in it. This was in the early 1960's and I was about to turn 19. The weather shack and flight service folks were great( they brought nice snacks for me). They all cheared for me when I was able to contlinue on home. The weather was ice and very low ceilings during this time.

I flew with the ideal it might take a while to get there but I was going to take my time and enjoy the trip and all the people I met. Long trips are a great experience and what a great way to see the country.

Go for it Nick and enjoy.

John J

NickDBrennan said:
In July, I am going back to New Hampshire for the Brennan family yearly fishing trip. Today I started thinking about it....why not fly myself?

Of course, I'm just kicking this around right now, and I'm ready to apply the brakes on my idea quickly if this winds up being a bad idea.

Has anyone ever flown across the country in a rental plane? Can anyone suggest whether or not this would be a bad idea? My only concern would be what to do if I run into mechanical problems 1500 miles away from Albuquerque. That would suck.

I've done it, no real problems as on average I always beat out minimum daily hours. As for mechanical problems, you just call up the owner, "It's broke, whata ya wanna do?" It's a great idea, have fun.

Many folks who have done this say that you just think of it as a collection of 3 hour flights, which you have already made some of. Flight plan each one individually, with plans for some spare time on each end of the trip.

When my daughter is older than 5, we are going to try some of these longer trips.

Let us all know about the flight planning and how the trip goes, if you can pull it off.

Jim G

Back