The ultimate compliment

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I took a co-worker & her mother up yesterday.It was blowing pretty hard, so it was bouncy down low. Abouve 2500' it was nice & smooth. We flew above their house, looked at a controlled burn on a farm, and showed them the countryside.

Landing, we got bounced a little bit & I had a crosswind to contend with, but we landed nice & smooth.

The compliment- that landing was as good as any on a commercial flight! They also had fun.

The compliment- that landing was as good as any on a commercial flight!

My 14 yo daughter recently went on a commercial flight with a bunch of classmates to D.C. Apparently one or more of the flights terminated rather abruptly and upon return she told her mom that "Dad sure lands better than the airline pilots". Kinda made my head swell a little when I heard about it, although I have to give most of the credit to the Baron (Heck even Tony Cordon's first landing in it, at night no less, was pretty smooth). Still it sure feels good when I get such a compliment whether deserved or not.

My 14 yo daughter recently went on a commercial flight with a bunch of classmates to D.C. Apparently one or more of the flights terminated rather abruptly and upon return she told her mom that "Dad sure lands better than the airline pilots". Kinda made my head swell a little when I heard about it, although I have to give most of the credit to the Baron (Heck even Tony Cordon's first landing in it, at night no less, was pretty smooth). Still it sure feels good when I get such a compliment whether deserved or not.

yea i guess it was smooth, only took 4000 feet too :)

i certainly enjoy getting compliments on landings, i always do everything i can to ensure a very smooth arrival. If i really grease it on during a discovery ride i often turn to the prospective student and say "I can teach you how to do that"

Not to brag but I know my bird so well that most of my landings are pretty smooth, although I come in flatter than I'd like, probably because I'm really easing it down.

The last time I was doing pattern work an instructor was next to the runway critiquing her student who was soloing. I hoped each time I was doing better but as I said I was flat, too.

There was the one Young Eagles flight at Meigs where I full stall dropped it on the mains from a foot or so and said, "Sorry." The poor girl said she was scared to death - but I don't think that was because of the landing. I should have talked to her more to see how she was feeling. See how I remember that one?

That's the nice thing about our planes, we can adjust and get that just right with plenty of runway to stop. Poor airline pilots and their flying bricks. ;)

That's OK, I only had to go around once. :p ;) If Jesse hadn't done such a good job, it woulda been twice!

i certainly enjoy getting compliments on landings, i always do everything i can to ensure a very smooth arrival. If i really grease it on during a discovery ride i often turn to the prospective student and say "I can teach you how to do that"

Liar. ;) :rofl:

So, how DO you teach that? I'd sure like to learn it. I can grease 'em every time in a Cherokee, but if I haven't landed the 182 about 10 times so far TODAY it's a little more firm.

Best landing ever was in a Diamond Star, on my third "demo flight." Before that, I'd never believed the folks who talked about landings where you couldn't even tell you were down. Smoooooooooooooooooooth. And the club president was in the back seat as a witness too! :yes:

Last edited:

hey now, my students make good landings! Although I truly dont emphasize smooth landings in training, they are often able to do it. Just cause you are a lost cause doesnt mean other people are! :)

Back