The Ted Race Team: Because Racecar

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Ted, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Ted

Ted The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    While talking to my wife (who took the above pictures), she said it was very obvious when I was coming around and was by far the loudest car at the track Tuesday. What the RX-7 lacks in horsepower it makes up for decibels! :D

2. Spring Ford

Spring Ford Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    SpringFord
    I suspect it's the two stroke style exhaust port opening. No silly valves to baby, port opens faster.

Ted likes this.
  3. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast

It’s not a proper race car unless children cry and their moms step back when it fires up. ;)

4. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    You’ve met my wife. She don’t step back from nothin’ ;)

Half Fast likes this.
  5. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast

She's a woman of exceptional courage. How else could she have married you? ;)

Ted likes this.
  6. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    From the official pics of the night, makes the old girl look fast! :)

DSC03451.jpg

FormerHangie, SkyChaser and TCABM like this.
  7. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing
    I'm definitely looking forward to that! It took about 2 laps before the Porsche let me past and I was looking for ways around him... which wouldn't have been too hard if the rules had allowed it.

Oh, and looking through the gallery, I realized there were a couple other cars I passed that I'd forgotten about. I think the total number for the night was 6-8. I don't remember how many cars I pointed by me. One influencing part of that is where you are in the pack. With 20 minutes of track time and the way they space everyone out, you're in a section of the pack that you're pretty much going to be in. You line yourself up in 3 rows. First and third I set myself up in the front of row 3. Second heat because of timing, I ended up at the very back or row 3. That one I think was actually the only one I got passed on, because the people in the front of row 1 (who were the faster cars mostly) were coming back around by the time I got on track.

Another thing that has me happy with the car is that a lot, lot of cars were pulling off before the end of their track times due to overheating. Me? Nope. If she was able to run all out on that day, she's good for about anything temp wise.

I'll see if I can find those, or borrow some scales somewhere at some point to see. It would be interesting data.

As it is, I imagine there are some differences just from switching shocks from your Tokicos to the junky KYBs. That area needs improvement, of course, and I know my lap times would get better with better shocks.

I don't want to make any significant suspension changes at this point. Adding a rear sway bar (and upgrading the front one to match) would help handling, but until I know what I'm doing race wise (as opposed to just track night where there are no rules as far as the modifications to the equipment). And like you said, then go through and rebalance everything else.

I'm sure when you were racing it it was set up better with my current rebuild, and specifically the shocks. But this all makes sense. I was shooting for late apexes. There are a few slower, tighter turns where I was seeing the pushing, and a few of the faster turns where I was just flat out the whole way through.

I was definitely harder on the brakes Tuesday, but I am normally pretty easy on brakes by nature and noticed zero brake fade, even with those temps. Definitely did what you suggested once the checkered flag was out and just coasting to let the brakes cool down.

None of these straights are that long, which is good for me in this car. :) On the main front straight I'm getting to where I can get into 5th for the last bit (I'm generally shifting at 7-8k RPM, I know it can go higher but that works for the moment) if I get my exit of the turn right and pick my line. Definitely not worth changing anything for track nights at this point.

I'm debating whether to do novice or intermediate next time around. I'll think about it.

8. Ted

Display name:
    iFlyNothing