The Ted Race Team: Because Racecar

I did, I was more willing to let it go to or past 8k. I’m not sure if that contributed to better lap times, at least not significantly. The bigger thing was not upsetting the car mid-turn with a gear change.

I'm sure it helped. When you can use a lower gear in a turn and get better acceleration exiting, you'll carry that all the way down the straight.

Watch your temps and move your rev limit up until you see the temps getting too high, then back off a bit. I think you'll find you can use 9000 or so as a redline when the air temp isn't extremely hot, and even higher once or twice a lap if you need it to avoid a shift. You should have better cooling now with that larger radiator.

Reactions: Ted
A friend of mine who used to motorcycle race told me he used Jesus as his braking marker. :D

Retired sprint car racer Leland McSpadden once said he knew he had a good qualifying lap going when he saw the ambulance lights come on as he was entering turn three.

:D

Watching those videos makes me think back to the days when I autocrossed Fiats and Alfas and kicked butt on all those Datsun 510 and RX3 posers.

Driving a slow car fast in the first two gears was more fun and educational than just beating up on the competition. Smoothness was the key to driving an inertia car quickly. Even the Porsches and Corvettes would fail to post good lap times because they didn't understand that...

Watching those videos makes me think back to the days when I autocrossed Fiats and Alfas and kicked butt on all those Datsun 510 and RX3 posers.

Driving a slow car fast in the first two gears was more fun and educational than just beating up on the competition. Smoothness was the key to driving an inertia car quickly. Even the Porsches and Corvettes would fail to post good lap times because they didn't understand that...

Every session I’m inching closer to a 2 minute lap… time

Overdue, but here's the video from my June track night. This resulted in my best lap times to date.

I haven’t checked the Heartland Park schedule: Anything coming up later this year when temps cool down? What performance changes do you expect?

I haven’t checked the Heartland Park schedule: Anything coming up later this year when temps cool down? What performance changes do you expect?

There’s a couple more this year. I’ll see what I can attend. Colder temps make more horsepower, and I also hope to go through the carb and hopefully the primaries will run properly after which should increase horsepower and thus performance.

I also want to add a proportioning valve for the rear brakes which should give me more braking performance since right now the Rears lock up and I’ve got more performance in the fronts I can’t use.

I’m trying to figure out the winter plans as I move towards next summer. I have a few ideas but will decide once the year’s track nights are over.

Well, the good thing is that you're pretty consistent in the 2:10-2:13 lap times, with the one lap at 2:09. I bet with some cooler temperatures and a few fixes with better lines or earlier power application in the corners you could break the 2:00 mark at this track. Awesome work!

When’s your first race?
There’s a possibility of this year, however next year seems more likely. I definitely need the running issue resolved first before committing, especially with other drivers involved. Obviously fresh brakes (these have now run all last year and once this year) but that’s simple enough. The car is otherwise well sorted and consistent.

Plus I broke my wrist last week (another post for another day) and I’m still not certain what that will mean for my activities (and limitations thereof) the rest of this year.

Plus I broke my wrist last week (another post for another day) and I’m still not certain what that will mean for my activities (and limitations thereof) the rest of this year.

I can see it now, "Any suggestions for learning nursing?" Or maybe "Considering a career change: Nursing" :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let us know when you decide on your debut race, @SkyChaser and I are looking forward to attending. :cheerswine:

I can see it now, "Any suggestions for learning nursing?" Or maybe "Considering a career change: Nursing" :biggrin: :biggrin:

Let us know when you decide on your debut race, @SkyChaser and I are looking forward to attending. :cheerswine:
No! No! No1 It would be "Thinking about nursing..." This is Ted we're talking about.

Sorry to hear about your wrist Ted. I can only imagine how much you're learning about how much you use it...

There’s a possibility of this year, however next year seems more likely. I definitely need the running issue resolved first before committing, especially with other drivers involved. Obviously fresh brakes (these have now run all last year and once this year) but that’s simple enough. The car is otherwise well sorted and consistent.

Sorry about your wrist! I hope there's at least a good story about it. If not, create one. ("There I was, being chased by a pack of wolves, when I tripped over a bear cub and heard the mama bear roar. I reached for my Scout knife, but unfortunately the fall had broken my wrist. I knew I'd have to fight this one with my teeth....")

For me, fresh brakes were an item for every race weekend, at least pads and fluid and often rotors. But yes, you do need to get it running at full available HP before going out to do battle. Don't wait too long, though, or your pit crew will grow up and move away. ;)

No! No! No1 It would be "Thinking about nursing..." This is Ted we're talking about.

Nah, Ted's more ambitious than that. "Thinking about DIY orthopedic surgery..."

Sorry about your wrist! I hope there's at least a good story about it. If not, create one. ("There I was, being chased by a pack of wolves, when I tripped over a bear cub and heard the mama bear roar. I reached for my Scout knife, but unfortunately the fall had broken my wrist. I knew I'd have to fight this one with my teeth....")

For me, fresh brakes were an item for every race weekend, at least pads and fluid and often rotors. But yes, you do need to get it running at full available HP before going out to do battle. Don't wait too long, though, or your pit crew will grow up and move away. ;)

Good point.

If you’re coming, you’re going to be a minimum of pit crew! :D

I will absolutely be posting that in advance here.

It is a halfway decent story! And at least comes with a cool picture.

After my initial track days, I’ve flushed the fluid a couple times but otherwise haven’t worried too much about the brakes - sorting other things mattering more and trying to improve my skills. I do think under 2 minute lap times at Heartland are within reach. I believe I’ve got the tire pressures pretty well sorted, but a bit better balance on the braking, sorting the carb, and a bit more skill development I think will get me there.

I got several point-bys this last session (I think three total) which I also viewed as a good indicator of improvement. Obviously that’s dependent on the other drivers/cars as well as my own speed, but it generally tells me I’m heading in the right direction.

I really am interested in doing an RX-8 engine swap too… but I have to decide my priorities over the remainder of the year and over the winter.

Any updates, Ted? How's the wrist? Are you finished with track nights for the year? Plans?

Any updates, Ted? How's the wrist? Are you finished with track nights for the year? Plans?

My wrist has been healing nicely. I'm done with physical therapy, and while I'm not 100% back to normal, I'm probably around 90% and the remaining 10% is more about rebuilding strength and endurance - stuff that will take time.

Right now I'm in South Carolina for the BWW GS Trophy Qualifier, and after that's completed my focus is going to go back in the direction of the cars (although at some point I have to get the current RV sold and I have to go pick up the new RV). Next week is the last Track Night of the year - and potentially the last track night ever at this track. The track is scheduled to close at the end of this month after completing all scheduled events and be sold. Hopefully it's sold to someone who keeps the track open for track purposes and doesn't repurpose the property, but that doesn't seem to be how these things typically go.

The next steps then are (as was always the goal) actual races. There are a few more Lemons races going through the end of the year, and I want to get through the carburetor and try to get it working properly. Assuming I get that going there is still a possibility for something this year, else we'll be looking at next year to actually race it. But the RX-7 and the Cobra are going to be the focus after this weekend.

Unless I get selected for the GS Trophy US team (which I view as highly unlikely) in which case I have to focus on motorcycle training over the next 6 months. But the reality is I don't see myself as being competitive for those positions, if I make it past the first cut I'll be happy. :)

Thought that maybe I had a Ted sighting this morning.

Saw a Quadrifoglio pull into a parking spot next to me this morning. But the license plate said “SKUZIE” and I know that Ted apologizes for nothing.

My friend Melissa is at the qualifier, hoping to make the cut. She’s been practicing a lot!

Thought that maybe I had a Ted sighting this morning.

Saw a Quadrifoglio pull into a parking spot next to me this morning. But the license plate said “SKUZIE” and I know that Ted apologizes for nothing.

That was my wife. :)

Unfortunately I haven't made any significant progress on the RX-7 over the winter. The new bus has been taking the majority of my wrenching time, which has been reduced as my wife and I have been doing a big push to finish up some house projects that have been delayed for too long.

Since RV trips are a big part of our life now and we have to time those with the kids time off school, the bus must be ready for those trips, so that's had to take priority. However once I'm done with things for spring break, most of what I have are longer term projects and I plan on doing the next project of going through the carb a second time to see if that will address my running issue under the primaries.

The goal still is to get at least one Lemons race in this year.

Back