The stuff you find hidden in old planes

All I find is old pens that don't write. That is a cool story though.

I found a cup of Starbucks coffee in my airplane once that had to be at least 73 hours old! :)

That's a cool story.

Attachments

• candy wrappers.jpg
    candy wrappers.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 27
  • mouse nest.jpg
    mouse nest.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Mouse nest 1.JPG
    Mouse nest 1.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 25
Nope, just the wrapers :) the mouse ate the candy..,

How about old bird's nests, bug nests, and hornet's nests

The "hangar queen" Cherokee 140 at our place, which wasn't in hangar but out in the weeds, had the wings FILLED with grass and debris by the birds that made it a home.

It was beautifully restored and is a flying showplane.

I do a lot of annuals, so I have to get all of the "stuff" out of the plane, and put it in a box, then put it back again. Sometimes there is six headsets in a four place airplane. Sometimes three or four sets of chocks and two tow bars. The thing that I always find interesting, is how much survival gear some pilots carry with them. I'm all for being prepared, but I hauled enough survival gear out of a plane one time, that it tore through the box when I tried to lift it. I would bet that there was a hundred pounds of it. I thought about doing a revision to the Weight and Balance to reflect all the weight in the baggage compartment. That is one thing, I often wonder if owners realize how much stuff they are throwing in their baggage compartments, in those little organizers that they put between the seats, and everything else they carry on in their pilot purses. It all adds up to a lot of weight. When I put that stuff back, I just can't help but believe that all that weight that far back effects the handling.

As far as hidden things, one day I climbed into the rear of the fuselage of a 210 Cessna to inspect it, and found a rechargeable trouble light hanging from the control cables. It looked like it had been riding along back there for quite a while.

Last edited:
I feel spoiled when I find current sectionals and approach plates!

Hutchinson, KS has a space museum, http://www.cosmo.org/. I've been told they also have a nice airport, just down the road from the museum.

They have found all kinds of things when they have restored everything from Mercury and Apollo capsules to captured V1 and V2 rockets. It's been a long time since I've been there, but I think that some of the artifacts found were from the concentration camp slave laborers who wrote their names in hidden areas of the V2 that they helped assemble.

Hutchinson, KS has a space museum, http://www.cosmo.org/. I've been told they also have a nice airport, just down the road from the museum.

They have found all kinds of things when they have restored everything from Mercury and Apollo capsules to captured V1 and V2 rockets. It's been a long time since I've been there, but I think that some of the artifacts found were from the concentration camp slave laborers who wrote their names in hidden areas of the V2 that they helped assemble.

[hijack]
The Hutch airport is a great little airport, with a fantastic BBQ joint on field (last time I was there, at least). And for anyone who has never been to the Kansas Cosmosphere...you simply haven't seen a good space museum...ever.
[/hijack]

My late mother would kill me for this, but I have my suspicions. This isn't airplane related but the era is similar to the OP. My Dad was U. S. Army 240th Coast Artillery(extremely old Company) on the Army bases on the coasts of Portland/Cape Elizabeth, Maine during WWII.
I have numerous of his Army uniforms. Years before moving from Topsham to Georgetown I was removing them from a closet. In one of the pockets I found train schedules, tickets and weekend passes dated July 03, 1943. Interesting. More interesting artifacts fell to the floor last June as I was packing to move.

There was an well-worn but empty paper matchbook, the inside of which advertised some correspondence school in Chicago. Note that there were no matches in the folded book but there were two little squares of paper - backwards - within the fold. I nearly split a gut when I removed said squares and turned them over. See my follow-up to this post.

HR

Hold the fort; the photos aren't working. Be right back.

Rats! three of my copies are not JPEG (???), so they won't post. The fourth photo, however, is JPEG; so in my following response, observe but cover your eyes.

Last edited:
My Dad was U. S. Army 240th Coast Artillery(extremely old Company) on the Army bases on the coasts of Portland/Cape Elizabeth, Maine during WWII.
I have numerous of his Army uniforms. Years before moving from Topsham to Georgetown I was removing them from a closet. In one of the pockets I found train schedules, tickets and weekend passes dated July 03, 1943. Interesting. More interesting artifacts fell to the floor last June as I was packing to move.

There was an well-worn but empty paper matchbook, the inside of which advertised some correspondence school in Chicago. Note that there were no matches in the folded book but there were two little squares of paper - backwards - within the fold. I nearly split a gut when I removed said squares and turned them over. See my follow-up to this post.

HR

Hold the fort; the photos aren't working. Be right back.

Rats! three of my copies are not JPEG (???), so they won't post. The fourth photo, however, is JPEG; so in my following response, observe but cover your eyes.

Harley, you're killin' me with suspense... Where's the follow-up? :dunno:

I once found dry dog food behind a plane's interior... gee wonder how that got there?

When we were restoring my 1959 182 as I was removing the old uphostery I found a bilford. I tried to find the original owner, but to no avail. I had three of those small silver dollars, Susan B. Anthony.. It was located in the pocket that was sewen in the kick panel by the pilots left knee.

Harley, you're killin' me with suspense... Where's the follow-up? :dunno:

Well, Bill Suffa P-Md me that its short appearance didn't pass muster as unobjectionable -- met with complaints -- and it was jettisoned by Moderators. 'Nuff said; :eek:) I'm not filing a "cross-complaint," but my mother was a fine-looking lady at 21 years of age, as evidenced by the photo I found in Dad's WWII Army overcoat pocket 62 years after he had last worn the uniform.

HR

Last edited:
Well, Bill Suffa P-Md me that its short appearance didn't pass muster as unobjectionable -- met with complaints -- and it was jettisoned by Moderators. 'Nuff said; :eek:) I'm not filing a "cross-complaint," but my mother was a fine-looking lady at 21 years of age, as evidenced by the photo I found in Dad's WWII Army overcoat pocket 62 years after he had last worn the uniform.

HR
Now that he's said it, I can state without fear his mom was certainly a sweet catch. She was a beautiful lady.

HR
This is why I was smart enough to save a copy when I saw it! Your dad was a lucky man!

Now that he's said it, I can state without fear his mom was certainly a sweet catch. She was a beautiful lady.

Thank you; she was, and a class lady. The photo, below, was taken in 2004 at Scottsdale KSDL. When I sent her the extra copies of my Arizona photos she sent back a reprint of the photo with a note, "Pretty nice legs for an 81 year old broad, huh?"

The newspaper reader is pilot Warren McIlvoy, of Phoenix. The headline and photo is of my accident of several days earlier.

HR

Attachments

• Scottsdale -  Warren McIlvoy & MOM.jpg
    Scottsdale - Warren McIlvoy & MOM.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 12
Back