mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Last edited:
mikea said:
The "controversy" made the mainstream media.

Also see:
http://avweb.com/news/columns/191034-1.html

Actually, the answer is no. An airplane doesn't take off when it "taxies." :rolleyes:
Umm, no, the answer is "yes." And Straight Dope Cecil has it right when he said "the plane takes off normally, with no need to specify frictionless wheels or any other such foolishness." Still, we may need to send this to Jamie and Adam for experimental proof if pilots are still doubting it.

mikea said:
The "controversy" made the mainstream media.

Also see:
http://avweb.com/news/columns/191034-1.html

Actually, the answer is no. An airplane doesn't take off when it "taxies." :rolleyes:

The best thing about this article was the link in the first paragraph to another article about whether to land with or without flaps, which was very well analyzed and written.

Ron Levy said:
Umm, no, the answer is "yes." And Straight Dope Cecil has it right when he said "the plane takes off normally, with no need to specify frictionless wheels or any other such foolishness." Still, we may need to send this to Jamie and Adam for experimental proof if pilots are still doubting it.

My "no" was whether a TAXIing aircraft takes off.

Personally, I can't believe that actual pilots have any doubt.

I can't imagine how Jamie and Adm would build a conveyer belt that can hold a full size plane, but doing it in scale would be trivial. Just like like the picture at the Straight Dope, it could be done with an RC plane and an exercise treadmill, even if the "runway" goes much faster than the plane.

Watch for Cecil Adams to get a ton of responses on how he's wrong.

Wouldnt that be like taking off against the current in a floatplane? I do it all the time.

supercub185 said:
Wouldnt that be like taking off against the current in a floatplane?

Yes. Except the floatplane will have considerably higher drag than the wheeled plane on the conveyor at least until the floats come up on the step.

Same concept.

mikea said:
My "no" was whether a TAXIing aircraft takes off.
With enough wind, I do believe it's happened -- much to the pilot's surprise.

Personally, I can't believe that actual pilots have any doubt.
Then you ought to review the threads on this matter both here and on the red board.

I can't imagine how Jamie and Adm would build a conveyer belt that can hold a full size plane, but doing it in scale would be trivial.
Nothing is trivial when Jamie and Adam do it, but I think they could come up with a big enough treadmill to handle a small light sport plane, or at least a very big R/C model. But someone has to send them the idea.

The original question was a lot different than that. It specified that the wheels always match the velocity of the belt.

Never mind:dunno:

Back