The saga continues....

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
My student has been waging a valiant effort for NINE months to get a Third Class medical and Student Pilot certificate.

First, she was denied because a doc had prescribed a med to mitigate some physical symptoms of menopause. Turns out it is also an anti-depressant that is prohibited. So she goes off the meds, waits the requisite 60 days and gets a letter from her doc saying she doesn't need it and she's good to go.

Upon submitting that, OKC sees she was in a car accident and had some treatment for a neck injury. So then they want range of motion and a bunch more stuff. She jumps through a bunch more hoops, spends more money, and then the doc (I think stupidly) forwards ALL of her medical records to OKC.

So, now they've sifted through those and see that 55 years ago she was born with a heart murmur, which has never manifested itself in any way, nor has it every required treatment in any form, but now they want a full cardio work-up on her! Plus, they see her brother and deceased mother had occasional migraines, so she needs more documentation proving she doesn't suffer from what two of her five family members suffered from.

This is getting insane. This is a woman who's VERY physically fit, works out regularly, takes extremely good care of herself and looks and acts 10-15 years younger than her chronological age. Plus she's a competent, thorough, safe pilot. Yet she's about ready to throw in the towel over this craziness. I tell her that just let's the b**tards win.

Dr. Bruce, is this normal behavior for OKC?? She said next time she'll fly to Peoria if she has to in order to avoid this circus.

Moral of story: Provide EXACTLY what they ask for and NOTHING more.

Last edited:
How sad! And so unnecessary. Meanwhile, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there flying who have either outright lied about their medical status or conveniently forgotten about a few things.

Her doc has medical records from 55 years ago? Even more reason to change docs occasionally!

This has always been the proper advice when dealing with any bureaucracy . . .

if they ask for records pertaining to a specific medical incident they only get documents related to that incident,

The true moral is this story is as Bruce has said forever - own your medical. NEVER let a doctors office send in forms, letters or records for you that you have not vetted first. I'm not suggesting that one not send in everything requested, but you need to make sure that what you send in, is germane to the request, is only relevant to the request, and does not open another can of worms. You need to see what is being submitted - and know it is not going to cause more inquiry.

OKC is just checking boxes off on a checklist - you need to know what is on that checklist and give them what they want. Period. Nothing else. If you give them more information then it opens up other issues.

Its how I handle IRS audits - only what is requested - redacted anything not relevant. The reviewer actually appreciates that most of the time - sometimes they ask what I redacted - and I tell them it is not relevant to their inquiry - I have never had anyone ask what it was relevant to because they don't want to know.

I had my one year followup for my DM II SI [which next year will go away hopefully] and did I send Doc Bruce the entire lab report? No - of course not - he got the part of the lab report he needs to see to certify. While there was nothing in the rest of the report, they don't need it to see it and its not relevant.

Someone here the other day said they FAA was looking for reasons to give out class 3 medicals. I don't believe it. They are like lawyers looking for reasons why a deal shouldn't happen.
:mad2:

I'm astonished that someone 55 years old knows a doctor who has her childhood medical records. No way would I be able to find mine, and I bet many other adults are that way.

Loren

As a CPA I deal with the state and IRS. I tell my clients that I act as a buffer. I give the IRS and state only what they ask for. Nothing more or nothing less. For my medical, it was tough. That's why I consulted with Dr. B prior to my medical to gather just the necessary information. Good luck and best wishes to your student. It's very frustrating.

My impression for this situation is not that there are 55-year old medical records, but they are basing stuff on the patient's responses to questions on a medical questionnaire. As for the migraines-in-family-members bit (with no documentation of same in the patient's record), I'd frankly tell OKC to go pound sand, as family member medical history is absolutely not in the regulations as justification for denial.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back