The Return of Go Fly America

I have one quick question that I'm not sure is spelled out completely in the press release. I made the assumption that ALL airports are open to claim again...not just those that weren't claimed before. It sounds like other people are assuming the opposite; if it was claimed two years ago, it's already claimed. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks.

My apologies! Previous claims are still valid. We are resuming where we left off. So that means that starting now (as we are now live), we have 2295 airports claimed.

But, if an airport you are going to is already claimed, please submit a visit for the airport and give us some more details. At this point, there's a good chance that any information grabbed is already outdated after 2 years!

My apologies! Previous claims are still valid. We are resuming where we left off. So that means that starting now (as we are now live), we have 2295 airports claimed.

But, if an airport you are going to is already claimed, please submit a visit for the airport and give us some more details. At this point, there's a good chance that any information grabbed is already outdated after 2 years!

Nick same deal as before? Photo with a "Go Fly America" sign?

Oh you can submit them. Doesn't mean we're gonna approve em.

So then I can submit claims that I visited but didn't get submitted before GFA went offline?

Yes, provided the claim photos meet the requirements (which it sounds like they do).

These types of situations are exactly why it was decided to allow the old password to continue to be used :)

Yes, provided the claim photos meet the requirements (which it sounds like they do).

These types of situations are exactly why it was decided to allow the old password to continue to be used :)

Sweet - Thanks! :) I'll try to get those in shortly. It looks like I did get the first half of the Grand Adventure submitted in time, but I still have some more from the second half.

Suggestion: Can there be "Reports" giving current statistics for pilots, states, etc like you used to post here about once a month? That'd be cool. :yes:

I can't believe Kent has KFTG. Colorado pilots must have been slacking back then! ;)

Nate, it's like this:

1. Barb Miller
2. Mike Schneider (RIP, old friend)
3. Kent Shook
4. Mari Murayama
5. Rest of Known Pilot World

(I might have the sequence off a little)

Well I see Kent left all the Podunk Eastern Colorado and Western Kansas airports up for grabs, and no offense to our friends here based at KFTG, but those little town airports are more interesting if not a bit deserted these days.

Met a great couple out at KLIC a few weekends ago who pulled up in the worst hail damaged car I'd seen in a long time. They said it was from the huge July 4th 2010 storm that hit Limon last year. Happy folks. They acted like not too many Denver airplanes wander out there much anymore. The bulletin board is literally covered with CFIs cards from Denver, Nebraska, and a few Northern Colorado and local one's. Mostly Denver cards.

As Doug and I were taxiing out to leave, he pulled what I think was a gorgeous clean Cessna 195 out and taxied over toward the runway. I said, "Gorgeous Cessna!" as we lifted off and turned for Denver. He said, "Yeah, we like her."

I love running into these quiet unassuming nice folks in the middle of nowhere with their pet airplanes in their hangars, always getting out to get a flight in on the weekends or weekdays... Time seems to work differently out on the plains.

Another day at KLIC me and a guy with a handheld radio on his breezy-style ultralight did laps around the pattern, me in the 182, him in his ultralight. I joked with him, "You want to do two laps for my one? I can extend a bit and we'll figure it out!". He replied, "Nah, I just go over here near the highway and look at stuff while you're landing, then I come back over."

Good times!

Your story reminded me of my final "coming home leg" on my solo cross country. I have heard plenty of not so nice pilots on my CTAF so when I found out there were several planes in the pattern I announced my 45 entry pretty far out. Turns out another pilot was also flying the ridgeline, and then entering a 45. He did his radio call after mine. I said on the radio (even though I'm trained to not "chat"): "Sir, your plane is faster than mine, I can circle around and enter the 45 behind you if you would like" or something like that. He said "no I see you and you go ahead, I'll come in behind you" or something. It was nice and I reminded myself that not ALL pilots are super mean.

Nate, it's like this:

1. Barb Miller
3. Kent Shook
4. Mari Murayama

My GFA 'nemesis" Peter Yee would be 2 or 3 and in some weeks No 1 on that list.

... "Sir, your plane is faster than mine, I can circle around and enter the 45 behind you if you would like" or something like that. He said "no I see you and you go ahead, I'll come in behind you" or something. It was nice and I reminded myself that not ALL pilots are super mean.
That describes one of the conditions whereby conflict risk may be actually increased. Following are examples of my anecdotal experience.

• A pilot may be so aggressive as he ignores protocol and leaves other pilots guessing what he might do next.
  • A pilot's proficiency is so lacking they constitute conflict wherever they go.
  • Pilots may be so nice to each other that no firm resolution is made thereby increasing risk of conflict.
In your case, the other pilot was clear and decisive. Being decisive and announcing your intentions is good ADM.

Last edited:
That describes one of the conditions whereby conflict risk may be actually increased. Following are examples of my anecdotal experience.

• A pilot may be so aggressive as he ignores protocol and leaves other pilots guessing what he might do next.
  • A pilot's proficiency is so lacking they constitute conflict wherever they go.
  • Pilots may be so nice to each other that no firm resolution is made thereby increasing risk of conflict.
In your case, the other pilot was clear and decisive. Being decisive and announcing your intentions is good ADM.

OK, Back story. We were both on the ridge line (in opposite directions), we were both announcing the same thing (planning a 45), so I had never experienced that and as soon as I did I wanted to see who would go first, I did not have him in sight but was looking for him and was concerned since we were probably both at TPA and flying towards one another. I heard what type of aircraft he was in, which was of course faster than a Cessna 152 which I fly.

I think Peter is a good solid #2.
I don't think I was even near the top. I just had a wide variety, geographically and sizewize. Nowadays the number of airports I go to is much more limited since the use pattern of this airplane is different.

OK, Back story. We were both on the ridge line (in opposite directions), we were both announcing the same thing (planning a 45), so I had never experienced that and as soon as I did I wanted to see who would go first, I did not have him in sight but was looking for him and was concerned since we were probably both at TPA and flying towards one another. I heard what type of aircraft he was in, which was of course faster than a Cessna 152 which I fly.

Good job. You communicated clearly and quickly and the two of you resolved it.

Hey, Nick - if there's a pending claim for an airport does the airport disappear from the state reports? All 5 of the airports I submitted for today's travels seem to have disappeared from the reports by state....

It's in Limbo. I'ts neither claimed or unclaimed on the map, and disappears from the map. Still shows in the search, but that's to change in 3...2...1...

Nate, it's like this:

1. Barb Miller
3. Kent Shook
4. Mari Murayama

:D Close:

Code:
Rank    Name               Claims
1       Barb Miller        368
2       Peter Yee          255
3       C. Edward Irvin    158
4       Karl J. Kisser     112
5       Mike Schneider     101

Last edited:
Hey, Nick - if there's a pending claim for an airport does the airport disappear from the state reports? All 5 of the airports I submitted for today's travels seem to have disappeared from the reports by state....

Sounds like a bug....lemme do some digging.

:D Close:

Code:
Rank    Name               Claims
1       Barb Miller        368
2       Peter Yee          255
3       C. Edward Irvin    158
4       Karl J. Kisser     112
5       Mike Schneider     101

Wow... I'm not even in the top 5? How'd that happen? :dunno:

Do we get to see this info ourselves soon?

BTW - Another feature suggestion - Allow people to add their Twitter and/or Facebook accounts to the site, so that when they claim an airport it shows up there. That'd be a great way to spread the word about Operation Fly too! :yes:

BTW - Another feature suggestion - Allow people to add their Twitter and/or Facebook accounts to the site, so that when they claim an airport it shows up there. That'd be a great way to spread the word about Operation Fly too! :yes:

That's a great idea!

I love that idea. I need to do some research on how to do such a thing.

But make it only for Android devices - just because.

With native apps you wouldn't even need the password. You could tap into the gps on the phone as "proof" and let them snap a picture right from the app.

With native apps you wouldn't even need the password. You could tap into the gps on the phone as "proof" and let them snap a picture right from the app.
Great! So I'll just mail my phone to various FBOs with instructions for the app. With SASE I could have them return the postmark, which I will collect from each 'visited' airport.

My Go Fly comments will be limited to the perceived efficiency of that area's post office.

Have you noticed that there is only one person that is in the perfectly symmetrical place on the list at Operation:Fly where the number of claims and their rank number are the same?
http://www.operationfly.com.

Back