The Return of Go Fly America

I'll have to ask my instructor, however, I think he just wants me to come right back. As others have said, doing stuff at the destination is beyond the privileges of a student pilot (getting lunch). This is a training flight and not a sight seeing thing. In terms of closing the flight plan, I could pull over and just stop and call them on the cell, yes. Or I could close it when I'm near / over the airport. I'd open my coming back flight plan on the radio when airborne on the way back. Weather I'd check before I go, it is only 50 - 60 nm each way so I could get the weather once. I could also get a weather check in flight on the radio.
Sorry, but getting lunch is beyond the privileges of a student pilot? Who told you that, and what's their source? There are all sorts of good reasons to take a break in the midst of a flight, some of which have been discussed ad nauseum in the pee thread. :) And there's a reason why pilots will often land and check the weather at an airport, because there will frequently be better weather facilities there than we have in our planes, even with XM, ADS-B, and Flight Watch. This is the same instructor who doesn't want you to fly with other pilots?

Student pilot limitations. Nothing here about not being allowed to exit the plane.
§ 61.89 General limitations

(a) A student pilot may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft: (1) That is carrying a passenger;
(2) That is carrying property for compensation or hire;
(3) For compensation or hire;
(4) In furtherance of a business;
(5) On an international flight, except that a student pilot may make solo training flights from Haines, Gustavus, or Juneau, Alaska, to White Horse, Yukon, Canada, and return over the province of British Columbia;
(6) With a flight or surface visibility of less than 3 statute miles during daylight hours or 5 statute miles at night;
(7) When the flight cannot be made with visual reference to the surface; or
(8) In a manner contrary to any limitations placed in the pilot's logbook by an authorized instructor.
(b) A student pilot may not act as a required pilot flight crewmember on any aircraft for which more than one pilot is required by the type certificate of the aircraft or regulations under which the flight is conducted, except when receiving flight training from an authorized instructor on board an airship, and no person other than a required flight crewmember is carried on the aircraft.
(c) A student pilot seeking a sport pilot certificate must comply with the provisions of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section and may not act as pilot in command—
(1) Of an aircraft other than a light-sport aircraft;
(2) At night;
(3) At an altitude of more than 10,000 feet MSL or 2,000 feet AGL, whichever is higher;
(4) In Class B, C, and D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, and to, from, through, or on an airport having an operational control tower without having received the ground and flight training specified in §61.94 and an endorsement from an authorized instructor;
(5) Of a light-sport aircraft without having received the applicable ground training, flight training, and instructor endorsements specified in §61.327 (a) and (b)
The closest I see is "§ 61.93 Solo cross-country flight requirements.

(b) Authorization to perform certain solo flights and cross-country flights. A student pilot must obtain an endorsement from an authorized instructor to make solo flights from the airport where the student pilot normally receives training to another location. A student pilot who receives this endorsement must comply with the requirements of this paragraph.
(1) Solo flights may be made to another airport that is within 25 nautical miles from the airport where the student pilot normally receives training, provided—[...](v) The purpose of the flight is to practice takeoffs and landings at that other airport."
but that only applies to airports within 25nm.

Okay, I see there's been discussion while I was gathering sources! :) Let's see what he has to say.

I'll have to ask my instructor, however, I think he just wants me to come right back. As others have said, doing stuff at the destination is beyond the privileges of a student pilot (getting lunch). This is a training flight and not a sight seeing thing. In terms of closing the flight plan, I could pull over and just stop and call them on the cell, yes. Or I could close it when I'm near / over the airport. I'd open my coming back flight plan on the radio when airborne on the way back. Weather I'd check before I go, it is only 50 - 60 nm each way so I could get the weather once. I could also get a weather check in flight on the radio.
Personally I would prefer my students shut down, take a break, and review/plan the next leg of their flight. There is no way I'd want to add additional stress by coming up with a requirement that they can't get out of the airplane. Real pilots don't fly like that, and I'm trying to make a real pilot.

I want the training to be fun and I want to produce pilots that get utility out of their certificate. I would prefer dual cross countries to locations where we can get lunch. I like to get out and explore some, just as much as the student would like to.

Sorry guys - ! Don't be upset, I found the quote, it wasn't something I was told, it was on my other pilot forum.

A student wrote a solo XC story and this was the reply:

"
I'm not trying rain on the parade - it's cool to do, but be careful with talking about it. As a student pilot, you're really walking a fine line of legality if you do a solo somewhere for the purpose of the $100 hamburger.

Now I'm not going to tell you can't eat someting if you happen to get somewhere and discover that you're hungry...it's a smart thing to take care of that you have to remember I'M SAFE. And there's not a wink or a nudge in that, it's completely serious.

But if you plan to make the flight so you can get something to eat, you've kind of stepped over the line of being a student. You don't have the privledge of flying places for your enjoyment yet, you're learning. And if you talk about $100 hamburgers as a student, somebody might hear and come to question you about it. Or they might come talk to your instructor, which could be worse.

Just advice... "

Whoever said that needs to be punched in the throat.

Sorry guys - ! Don't be upset, I found the quote, it wasn't something I was told, it was on my other pilot forum.

A student wrote a solo XC story and this was the reply:

"
I'm not trying rain on the parade - it's cool to do, but be careful with talking about it. As a student pilot, you're really walking a fine line of legality if you do a solo somewhere for the purpose of the $100 hamburger.

Now I'm not going to tell you can't eat someting if you happen to get somewhere and discover that you're hungry...it's a smart thing to take care of that you have to remember I'M SAFE. And there's not a wink or a nudge in that, it's completely serious.

But if you plan to make the flight so you can get something to eat, you've kind of stepped over the line of being a student. You don't have the privledge of flying places for your enjoyment yet, you're learning. And if you talk about $100 hamburgers as a student, somebody might hear and come to question you about it. Or they might come talk to your instructor, which could be worse.

Just advice... "
You're taking advice from someone who can't even spell "privilege?" :rofl:

Let's just say that I and many others here disagree with that. Heck, I made a point to check out my stops on my long cross country to find one that had good ratings on 100dollarhamburger (back when it was a free, useful site).

You're taking advice from someone who can't even spell "privilege?" :rofl:

Let's just say that I and many others here disagree with that. Heck, I made a point to check out my stops on my long cross country to find one that had good ratings on 100dollarhamburger (back when it was a free, useful site).

...and when Jennys were the most advanced aricraft! :rofl:

Now, now, be nice! I realize I should not be easily swayed by online opinions of others.

I was just sharing what I had heard. I will work things out with my instructor, however, I already know he doesn't need "proof" which means he trusts me. So I don't have to go inside the FBO or what not.

But if I will need to go to the bathroom, or stretch, or just de-stress, I'm sure I can park and get out. I reserved the plane long enough to allow for such things (I think), however there are always other renters before and after me so that means I can't just do whatever I want to and take all day.

Anyways, this is OT / not meant to start an argument, and I just wanted the password to take pictures of the airports when I solo! It would be a cool memory.

Perhaps I don't need the password if I'm not claiming the airport and I'm just submitting a visit?

Perhaps I don't need the password if I'm not claiming the airport and I'm just submitting a visit?

You need the password on a sheet of paper to claim the airport.

Suggestion: take a picture of a distinctive feature at the airport, with a blank sheet of paper in view... and (ssssssh!) photoshop the password in next week. :nono:

You don't have the privledge of flying places for your enjoyment yet, you're learning. And if you talk about $100 hamburgers as a student, somebody might hear and come to question you about it. Or they might come talk to your instructor, which could be worse.

Just advice... "
Someone wrote that on an aviation forum and didn't get their head handed to them? :confused: :rofl:

You need the password on a sheet of paper to claim the airport.

Suggestion: take a picture of a distinctive feature at the airport, with a blank sheet of paper in view... and (ssssssh!) photoshop the password in next week. :nono:

But I'm not claiming the airport. I'm just visiting. Do I still need a password?

But I'm not claiming the airport. I'm just visiting. Do I still need a password?

Since you're not claiming, I cannot imagine any reason on God's Green Earth why you should...

We never really firmed the ruling on that one....there were only a few times that visits were submitted without the password, so it never came up.

But now I need to make a decision....

I'll make it on Monday, when the challenge resumes. It is, however, safe to assume that the answer will be that it will require the password, and the flight must happen sometime after 0001GMT on 7/11/2011.

We never really firmed the ruling on that one....there were only a few times that visits were submitted without the password, so it never came up.

But now I need to make a decision....

I'll make it on Monday, when the challenge resumes. It is, however, safe to assume that the answer will be that it will require the password, and the flight must happen sometime after 0001GMT on 7/11/2011.

Darn it. I'm running out of money and for I all I know this may be my first - and LAST solo cross country! Oh well that is OK.

Kimberly

Someone wrote that on an aviation forum and didn't get their head handed to them? :confused: :rofl:

Or their throat punched? :D

That is so wrong it's not funny. Hell, I got signed off for a solo XC when I was a student to go meet a friend in Oshkosh. (Not during the show.) Completely unrequired for training (I had the solo XC box filled in already), just-for-the-hell-of-it flight.

There is NOTHING wrong with that... Actually, there's a lot right about it. Flying is for having fun and going places. Being a student, you have to be signed off to go places, but you can be (and should be) signed off to go places and have fun.

Or their throat punched? :D

That is so wrong it's not funny. Hell, I got signed off for a solo XC when I was a student to go meet a friend in Oshkosh. (Not during the show.) Completely unrequired for training (I had the solo XC box filled in already), just-for-the-hell-of-it flight.

There is NOTHING wrong with that... Actually, there's a lot right about it. Flying is for having fun and going places. Being a student, you have to be signed off to go places, but you can be (and should be) signed off to go places and have fun.
Agree. OTOH, if your instructor signed you off to go to OSH during the show, he would have deserved to have his throat punched! :rolleyes:

I need to find a more peaceful pilot site. All this virtual throat punching is giving me a sore throat (even though you are punching another pilot).....

Thanks everyone though for your feedback. I have emailed my instructor about Saturday's XC and we will see what he says.

Kimberly

I need to find a more peaceful pilot site. All this virtual throat punching is giving me a sore throat (even though you are punching another pilot).....

Well, like Spike always says, this is the 'back porch of aviation' on the Internet. We just have lots of two-by-fours with rusty nails laying around, ready to be swung as needed. :rofl:

Well, like Spike always says, this is the 'back porch of aviation' on the Internet. We just have lots of two-by-fours with rusty nails laying around, ready to be swung as needed. :rofl:

If this is the back porch then besides the two by fours there should also be porch swings, lemonade, and one of those little pencil / paper things nailed to the porch in case someone stops by for a visit while we are away, so they can leave us a note. Oh and a fresh made pie, still hot.

Thanks everyone though for your feedback. I have emailed my instructor about Saturday's XC and we will see what he says.

Kimberly

It can either be peaceful or you can learn about aviation. It can't be both... :D:D:goofy::goofy:

It can either be peaceful or you can learn about aviation. It can't be both... :D:D:goofy::goofy:

More and more I am figuring out you are right. Just about everything I post, when I am trying to learn something will upset someone and create a debate.

Oh well.

More and more I am figuring out you are right. Just about everything I post, when I am trying to learn something will upset someone and create a debate.

Oh well.

You will notice that there is very little debate AND that *nobody* is upset with you. We just want to make sure that you have the right information.

Gee, I wish I could claim LIH. Landed there yesterday, and not in an airliner. However, my brother and I were in the front cockpit of the Waco and the pilot was in the back. Just a passenger this time. Darn! :D

Attachments

• DSC04617.JPG
    DSC04617.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC04719.JPG
    DSC04719.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Great news. My instructor called and OK'd me to park the plane, get out, whatever tomorrow. Even if it doesn't count, I will try to remember to bring my camera and take a picture to be a "visitor" to the already claimed airport.

Kimberly

Gee, I wish I could claim LIH. Landed there yesterday, and not in an airliner. However, my brother and I were in the front cockpit of the Waco and the pilot was in the back. Just a passenger this time. Darn! :D
That's just neat. this close to the starting gate maybe you could be 'grandfathered' in. :)

Whoever said that needs to be punched in the throat.

+10000

One of my solo XCs was turned into an out of town overnight on a friend's couch due to a t-storm line between me and "home".

My instructor at the time said it was 100% the right thing to do. FBO too. They were sweating it out a bit when the afternoon stuff turned nasty.

Got up the next morning, checked weather, confirmed via phone that he agreed with my "go" decision and finished the XC.

Was told later that it was exactly what kind of decision-making is required for Private Pilots doing a real XC and turned out to be one of many highlights of my quest for my PPL rating.

Wow, Alaska is going to take some work :rofl:

Thanks for using my pic in the rules. I had to earn that one with a nasty direct crosswind on pavement with a taildragger. The grass strips in that area are much more fun.

I have one quick question that I'm not sure is spelled out completely in the press release. I made the assumption that ALL airports are open to claim again...not just those that weren't claimed before. It sounds like other people are assuming the opposite; if it was claimed two years ago, it's already claimed. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks.

Great news. My instructor called and OK'd me to park the plane, get out, whatever tomorrow. Even if it doesn't count, I will try to remember to bring my camera and take a picture to be a "visitor" to the already claimed airport.

Kimberly

Kimberly, Just go have fun. The claim is great but its not what makes it so much fun. Also we do have pies and lemonade and choc chip cookies and salsa and sloppy hoppys and BBQ pulled pork and burger and bourbon and crown and margaritas and lots of other stuff on our porch. Ya just gotta attend some fly ins like the flybq, Gastons, 6Y9er and Windwood.

Kimberly, Just go have fun. The claim is great but its not what makes it so much fun. Also we do have pies and lemonade and choc chip cookies and salsa and sloppy hoppys and BBQ pulled pork and burger and bourbon and crown and margaritas and lots of other stuff on our porch. Ya just gotta attend some fly ins like the flybq, Gastons, 6Y9er and Windwood.
Oh yeah! :yes: :yes: :yes:

That's just neat. this close to the starting gate maybe you could be 'grandfathered' in. :)

I wasn't at the controls, so it wouldn't count in any case. Darn.

And Kauai is the only major island I don't have in my log. I've landed and taken off from Oahu, Molokai, Lanai, Maui and Hawaii. T&G on Molokai and Lanai, originated and ended on the other three.

Last edited:
I have one quick question that I'm not sure is spelled out completely in the press release. I made the assumption that ALL airports are open to claim again...not just those that weren't claimed before. It sounds like other people are assuming the opposite; if it was claimed two years ago, it's already claimed. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks.

Bill,

It's my understanding that the previous claims still stand. The challenge has returned (it hasn't started over).

Back