"The rest of the story..." (RIP...)

Paul Harvey is still alive? :dunno:

Truly a great story. RIP, Mrs. Harvey.

Lynne Harvey died early Saturday at the couple's home in the Chicago suburb of River Forest after a yearlong battle with leukemia, according to a release from the "Paul Harvey News" office. The release did not mention her age.
Obviously a well-trained husband! Sorry to hear this, though.

He has sounded exactly the same for as long as I can remember. I have wondered why he was not doing his show lately (mostly ceding it to Ron Chapman).

Paul Harvey is a national treasure. May his shadow never decrease.

He has sounded exactly the same for as long as I can remember. I have wondered why he was not doing his show lately (mostly ceding it to Ron Chapman).

Didn't he cut back to like one or two shows a week 20 years ago?

I never really listened to him, but am aware of his shows. He is not carried on any AOR stations that I am aware of.

AOR. I had not heard that term in a while.

No, I would not expect to hear Paul Harvey on a rock station. But I am more of a news/talk guy in the car anyway.

He has always been an awesome example of an honorable man with high moral character and demonstrated such in his broadcasts. His dedication to his marriage is demonstration of his commitment.

I recall hearing him in the morning during a time my dad was getting me up for even middle school. We'd be eating breakfast and hear his broadcast on KMOX from St. Louis. Though others try to follow in his footsteps, there will never be another Paul Harvey once he is taken from those who have appreciated his news all these years.

He has always been an awesome example of an honorable man with high moral character and demonstrated such in his broadcasts. His dedication to his marriage is demonstration of his commitment.

I recall hearing him in the morning during a time my dad was getting me up for even middle school. We'd be eating breakfast and hear his broadcast on KMOX from St. Louis. Though others try to follow in his footsteps, there will never be another Paul Harvey once he is taken from those who have appreciated his news all these years.
He is a very decent man and I am saddened to hear of his wife's passing. I had the pleasure of meeting the both of them several years back (when I was 18) at O'Hare Airport. They were both among the most gracious people I have ever met. They spoke with me at length- for probably an hour or so- while we waited on a connecting flight. Mr. Harvey actually joked that the nice thing about radio personality as opposed to a film star is that he can go unnoticed simply by keeping quiet.

I hope Mrs. Harvey finds a spot in Heaven, because if she does not, then most of the rest of us have no claim to it.

The last time I heard him he sounded weak but mentally sharp as ever (which, considering he's never had a problem repeating urban legends and such... :rolleyes:)

My first take was this story had to be worng because we all know Paul Harvey's wife is Angel.

The Harvey's and their son have adjacent houses joined by a breezeway. Think "Everybody Loves Raymond" only next door. :D

When Harry Shearer visited to fill in on the Steve Dahl show he made it a condition that he be allowed to watch Paul Harvey do that day's show in the same building. He's a media wonk.

Last edited:
My all-time favorite of Paul Harvey's kickers(the frequently humorous end of his broadcasts) involved me, though only to a small degree. My daughter had been born in Bangor, Maine, after which my Rockland home area newspaper published the announcement but with a typesetting error. A local business owner in Rockland sent the item to Paul Harvey. I can't write it the way Paul Harvey spoke it, but if you can imagine:

"Oh, I must tell you about this ......... this baby born up in Bangor, Maine, to Lawreston and Terrie Crute. Amy Wyeth Crute is fine, though it must have been a difficult delivery. A Rockland newspaper wrote that when the unit arrives it will be 26 and 1/2 feet long, is constructed of fiber glass, with a steel-reinforced frame.......................Angel and I wish the mother well and assume that Amy must have been delivered by a ..................crane?........................Paul Harvey..............Good day!

The gist was that a local school department had taken delivery of a short school bus which was to be a rolling guidance office for the offshore islands school system. The description of the bus got typographically set over into the birth announcements.

Later, by three months, those who could have read Yankee Magazine would have seen the cartoon as seen in Photo #1. I wrote to the magazine to see if I could get a copy of the piece, after which I received a response from Rob Trowbridge, Editor. "It is not our custom to dispense copies of our artists' works. However, yours is of an unusual nature and, in a separate mailing I am forwarding you the artist's original 2-page drawing from which publication was made."(See Photo #2)

The staple marks are evident from the paper having been attached to the drawing board.
But the Paul Harvey routine was my favorite and Terrie and I received voluminous telephone calls about it, from the far and wide of Paul Harvey coverage.

RIP, Mrs. Harvey. My guess is that you had something to do with that particular kicker.

HR

Attachments

• Yankee Magazine_1.jpg
    Yankee Magazine_1.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Yankee Magazine_2.jpg
    Yankee Magazine_2.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back