Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
One engine...
Two displays...
Three fixed landing gear...
Four blade prop (!)...
Five seats.

Diamond has announced the DA50 Super Star. It looks very much like a DA40, only with a FOUR-blade MT prop and only one inlet to the cowling. They're saying they haven't chosen a power plant yet, but I'm gonna call it right here: I bet they'll use the new Thielert 4.0l engine.

I also bet they beat Cessna to market. Cessna will outsell them after a couple years though, most likely. :dunno:

Doubt this will really be a Cirrus killer, but it'll take a bite.

e899f80dcc.jpg

They're saying it'll be the most spacious plane in its class. If they do go turbo-diesel (read: efficient, and can go up high like the Columbia 400), and they offer oxygen and known ice, they'll have one damn fine bird on their hands. If they can price it under the Columbia 400 and the Turbo SR22, they should sell quite well.

Last edited:
This sure looks good!

Still, I long for a six seat pressurized alternative to the Malibu. Put a nice one of those out there, and I'll be in line if I haven't purchased a new pressurized twin by then. Pressurized makes such a wonderful difference when you go higher up. It's a real void in the market in my opinion.

Adam Air is trying, but they missed the Baron owner; went for the big Cessna guys.

Best,

Dave

OK. My lottery money has a new end point. Bye, Piper Six.

This sure looks good!

Still, I long for a six seat pressurized alternative to the Malibu. Put a nice one of those out there, and I'll be in line if I haven't purchased a new pressurized twin by then. Pressurized makes such a wonderful difference when you go higher up. It's a real void in the market in my opinion.

Adam Air is trying, but they missed the Baron owner; went for the big Cessna guys.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

I think Eclipse will help in this arena - license their hull design and technology to the piston set. Put a decent diesel piston on it (IMO) and you can have the P210 all over again.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Don't mean to change the direction of the discussion. This bird will fill a niche, just not what I'm looking for.

A six seat plane that will carry four with stuff or six normal sized folks without stuff 1,100 miles non-stop would be a replacement for my old A-36 or current P-Baron. The A-36 cruised at 190 to 200 knots but the nose straws, lack of K-ice and lack of redundant systems pushed me to the Baron. Still, I loved the TN A-36 and would look at another one sometime in the future.

The P-Baron is great as far as being pressurized, K-ice, about 1,100 no wind NM range and lots of redundancy. There really is no replacement bird. The Adam 500 will carry about the same load with full fuel, but doesn't have the range. Then, it's a lot more money for a new bird that is not quite as capable.

The Eclipse doesn't have the range or payload. Deliveries are late, more expensive than projected. Big step up from my bird.

The TBM is almost $3MM new. A good used one is still close to $1.5MM and it will need avionics and will have medium time on the engine (the 700 model)

Guess I'm dreaming. There is just no logical step up plane for me for near $1MM.

Best,

Dave

Guess I'm dreaming. There is just no logical step up plane for me for near $1MM.
Malibu Jetprop conversion, maybe? Did you see the MMOPA comparison between JetProp and Meridian? Verrrrry interesting.

Also Epic Dynasty (SE turboprop) will be certified in a couple of years.

Malibu Jetprop conversion, maybe? Did you see the MMOPA comparison between JetProp and Meridian? Verrrrry interesting.

That may fix the engine issues, but there are other weaknesses on the Malibu airframe. Landing gear, for one.

I've perused their site and have a fella in a nearby hanger with an '87 he would like to convert. He'd like to have me as a partner. I just can't get comfortable with the plane.

I have a mentor or two that are pretty knowledgeable that have steered me away. Have a friend who's brother purchased one and had a bunch of warranty issues. I could see how those could get real expensive after the warranty period. As you know, there have been some pretty alarming incidents/accidents that were mechanical/air frame issues. Just built differently than what I'm used to flying.

Yes, that is an option, of course, but I've kind of looked. If I'm going to spend that much money, I'd like something I really want.

Best,

Dave

I thought the JetProp was seriously range/payload limited.

I thought the JetProp was seriously range/payload limited.
It got another 215 or so pounds a couple years ago, which gives it a full fuel (~1100 nm) payload in the 600-650 pound range -- depending on the airframe you put it on. The early Malibus have the most payload, as you might expect, since newer usually equals heavier.

That may fix the engine issues, but there are other weaknesses on the Malibu airframe. Landing gear, for one.

JetProp includes a new nose gear, which is the biggest Malibu bugaboo after the powerplant issues. But yes, there are other Malibu issues (hydraulics, for one) that are, shall we say, somewhat less than optimal. But the JetProp is a decent airplane, all in all.

JetProp includes a new nose gear, which is the biggest Malibu bugaboo after the powerplant issues. But yes, there are other Malibu issues (hydraulics, for one) that are, shall we say, somewhat less than optimal. But the JetProp is a decent airplane, all in all.

My sense is that the Malibu and variants were underdesigned. I won't say "cheap", I'll say underdesigned. They do have to treated with care.

I flew and looked carefully at a DLX Malibu. 1000 nm and cabin load for 400 pounds. Completely useless for me. They were hoping for another 100 pounds by putting in 10% overgross allowing fuel dumps. Still near useless. Maybe they managed to scarf something else.

No dice. Underengineered.

I think Eclipse will help in this arena - license their hull design and technology to the piston set. Put a decent diesel piston on it (IMO) and you can have the P210 all over again.

You can already have the P210 all over again, high wing and all, right here. Want a turboprop? Try this instead.

Am I the only one who wants a DA50? :dunno:

i think they look darn cool kent. you pay for the plane, ill fly it for you!

You Am I the only one who wants a DA50? :dunno:

I think the problem is that we don't know what it is yet. Actually, I think I'd rather have a DA20 and access to rent a DA40 or DA50 every once in a while when I need the extra seats or the mission otherwise calls for it.

Chris

Actually, I think I'd rather have a DA20 and access to rent a DA40 or DA50 every once in a while when I need the extra seats or the mission otherwise calls for it.

Good call... Except I'd want the DA40 full-time with access to a rental DA42 and DA50.

And hopefully someday a DA52. Can you imagine a slick airframe like that with 700hp strapped to it? Whee! :goofy:

Look at that nose. Can you order it with a shark mouth paint job?

Back