The Quiet Star

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
Quiet_Aircraft.jpg
In 1968, the US Army published a specification for an observation aircraft that could not be heard from the ground when at a minimum altitude of 1,200ft.

Lockheed received a contract for two prototypes and in 1966, built two QT-2 Quiet Thruster aircraft. These were modified Schweizer SGS 2-32 gliders. These were refined into the QT-2PC which had a silenced engine and a slow turning prop for quiet operation. The engine was silenced by piping the exhaust into a muffler system that ran the length of the fuselage. The firewall and engine compartment were also insulated.

The two QT-2PC's were sent to Vietnam for operational trials. A production version was quickly ordered by the US Army, the YO-3A Quiet Star. There were 9 of these built which along with the two prototypes, served in Vietnam. Three would be lost to crashes that were not combat related.

After Vietnam, two YO-3A's were used by the Louisiana Department of Fish and Game for anti poaching duties. These aircraft would be later used by the FBI.

NASA would use a YO-3A for a number of rotorcraft test programs. This aircraft was retired in 2015 and is now at the Vietnam Helicopters Museum.

The photo by Doug Duncan was taken at the Oxnard Airport, Oxnard, California, USA, November 1975, and shows a YO-3A Quiet Star (N14425 c/n 007).
--
The above information was taken from the Louisiana Aviation newsletter. I thought it was interesting, so I decided to share it here.

Used to be one parked at KBVS, had a super long muffler/exhaust pipe on the almost to the tail.

Very cool...thanks for posing that. The prop reminds me of the rotors on the Ingenuity chopper aboard the Perseverance. Can't wait to see footage of that thing flying on Mars!

Nice i like stories like this. Although a high wing would seem better for observation in an era of the Mark 8 eyeball. Like the Skydisaster 337. But what do I know.

Nice i like stories like this. Although a high wing would seem better for observation in an era of the Mark 8 eyeball. Like the Skydisaster 337. But what do I know.
The Qstars were designed to loiter overhead without being detected. If you're low enough to put eyeballs on a single soldier, he can already see you.

Can't see out of an SR-71 either...

Ron Wanttaja

Back