The quest for a good instructor...

Got any printed references to the standards you held yourself to above and beyond the FAA PTS through your check ride and beyond?
I guess I wasn't clear. I interpreted Kevin7500's statement as meaning that his standard for an acceptable instructor is that the instructor be qualified to teach him to pass the tests. My standard for an instructor is that he should be able to give me far more that just what it takes to pass the tests. And that was the point of my first post, recommending that the OP not settle for anything less than a very experienced instructor.

For an example of instruction standards, when I was trying to learn to shoot competitively, I sought out and attended workshops taught by the U.S. Olympic pistol team coach. When I was racing I did two stints at a school run by an internationally successful driver who also had Formula 1 experience. Were those guys far above any level I could aspire to? Of course. But there was no chance my learning would be limited by any lack of experience on their part. Both my Private and my Instrument instructors far exceeded the criteria I suggested to the OP. I am long overdue for some spin and aerobatic training and I will do it with a local guy who is on the U.S. national aerobatic team.

... horrible, avoid-at-all-costs-less-than-10-students-passed instructors ...
Did someone say that about you? I didn't. I simply recommended to the OP that he seek out a highly qualified instructor and I suggested some criteria to help him find one. Do you think the criteria I suggested are not likely to assist in finding a top quality instructor?

... taught by people with only marginally more knowledge? I think it was more likely the latter.
I do too. But that doesn't mean it is the optimal way.

I guess I wasn't clear. I interpreted Kevin7500's statement as meaning that his standard for an acceptable instructor is that the instructor be qualified to teach him to pass the tests. My standard for an instructor is that he should be able to give me far more that just what it takes to pass the tests. And that was the point of my first post, recommending that the OP not settle for anything less than a very experienced instructor.

For an example of instruction standards, when I was trying to learn to shoot competitively, I sought out and attended workshops taught by the U.S. Olympic pistol team coach. When I was racing I did two stints at a school run by an internationally successful driver who also had Formula 1 experience. Were those guys far above any level I could aspire to? Of course. But there was no chance my learning would be limited by any lack of experience on their part. Both my Private and my Instrument instructors far exceeded the criteria I suggested to the OP. I am long overdue for some spin and aerobatic training and I will do it with a local guy who is on the U.S. national aerobatic team.

Did someone say that about you? I didn't. I simply recommended to the OP that he seek out a highly qualified instructor and I suggested some criteria to help him find one. Do you think the criteria I suggested are not likely to assist in finding a top quality instructor?

I do too. But that doesn't mean it is the optimal way.

Exactly! When you went for your private pilot you didn't seek the aerobatic trainer. When you first picked up a gun you didn't seek out the Olympic coach. When you first climbed in a car you didn't seek out the Formula One driver. What you did was receive instruction from the appropriate source for your current skill set.

One needs to remember that the first ride the OP took with the new CFI was also the first ride the new CFI took with the OP. Could the CFI have been a little too cautious? Perhaps. Or, could the OP been scaring the S out of the CFI? Who knows. Personally, I don't think an hour together is enough time for either to evaluate the other.

You are correct about what I expected from a CFI. It was his job to teach me the skill set to be able to maneuver an aircraft within test standards, impress on me the importance of flight planning and put enough fear into me to make me a safe and cautious pilot. It was also his job to get me to that point in a timely manner (close to 40 hours).

Again, I wouldn't expect to be taught differential equations in algebra. I didn't expect to be able to fly lazy-8s while training for the PP.

Obviously it's a chicken or egg thing. You can't get experience without experiencing it. :crazy:

Exactly. It gets very aggravating to see this attitude of needing to have the gray-haired whoever because everyone else is just an inexperienced whipper snapper. I had one friend tell me all pilots should have 10,000 hours minimum. I asked her where they were supposed to get those 10,000 hours, and received no response.

Ah, well please don't tell my students that they are lab rats getting poor instruction.
I have tons of hours. Instructional hours, too. I have no idea how Jesse is as an instructor, but I can tell you he has GOOD judgement.

Hours, don't have much to do with it. Teaching is easier for a good listener; inteview the candidates and see if they actually LISTEN....

If your guy is grabbing the controls, he's not TEACHING you. Remember, YOU are paying the bill. You call the shots. CHANGE CFIs.

I have tons of hours. Instructional hours, too. I have no idea how Jesse is as an instructor, but I can tell you he has GOOD judgement.

When I first read that I was shocked, I thought I'd seen the first mean thing I'd ever read out of Bruce... because I read it as...

"I have no idea how Jesse is an instructor."

LOL! I did a serious double-take at that one! :cornut:

Back