The Postman Knocks Twice (or, We Misdeliver for You)

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
I was out of town for the better part of the last week, so I had the mail held.

So the postman knocked on the door today and delivered the "held" mail.

He headed back to the van, I closed the door, then heard a knock. The postman wanted to tell me "If there's any mail in there that's not yours, just leave it out here and I'll get it tomorrow". Yeah, he actually said that.

Of course, there was a bulky brown padded envelope from a prescription drug house - addressed to someone on the next street over.

We used to get a lot of misdelivered mail. I live on Silver Lake Rd and we would get the Evergreen street mail. You can see why with the names being so similiar (DUH!).

One day I wrote on the misdelivered mail "Delivered to wrong address, please read the address before sticking it into the box." I then put it in my mailbox for the postman. the next day I get a note about how defacing the mail is a crime.

The next time it happened I wrote on the mail "Postmaster, please try to hire higher quality postman, ones that can read, this mail is constantly misdelivered" Then I dropped into the main PO drop box. A week later, I got a new postman. I guess there were otehr people complaining about.

The post office can get away with so much BS its not even funny. At FedEx if we delivered anything wrong, we got a verbal warning. 2nd offense written warning. 3nd offense "courier school" then after that they would start letting people go. Samething with our drivers. How I miss those days. Sigh. it was like I was paid to work out.

I don't know, Fedex has some interesting employees also. I screwed up an order from Aircraft Spruce, fat fingured my zip code. Package wound up in Kingsport instead of Morrestown. Kingsport driver couldn't be bothered driving all the way out to the stickes so he dropped the package in the US mail. Go figure.
Ron

I can, personally, attest to foul-ups at N 101st Place and N 101st Street, Scottsdale, AZ. Something awry with the sorting system.

HR

I thought most of the mail, if not all, was already presorted before the mail carrier went on their route. Then just a matter of picking up the bundle for house X and placing it in the box. If that's the case, is the carrier the one you should complain about?

(As a side note... you should see what those sorting machines can do to mail... heh. *makes shredding sound* And you never hear about it...)

wbarnhill said:
I thought most of the mail, if not all, was already presorted before the mail carrier went on their route. Then just a matter of picking up the bundle for house X and placing it in the box. If that's the case, is the carrier the one you should complain about?

(As a side note... you should see what those sorting machines can do to mail... heh. *makes shredding sound* And you never hear about it...)

The carrier does the final sort on the mail.

wsuffa said:
Of course, there was a bulky brown padded envelope from a prescription drug house - addressed to someone on the next street over.

I got one of those in my PO Box a couple of weeks ago. And it was a delivery confirmation package, with a confirmation signed by who ever filled the PO Boxes. I can imagine the person it was addressed to arguing with the drug company that the package wasn't delivered, only to be told by the post office that they weren't responsible because someone had signed for the package! It must happen a lot, because we have a drop box in the post office that's labeled just for mail that was placed in the wrong box.

When it came time for me to get my first check from the new magazine, I waited and waited, but no money. Yikes! So I called and discovered they had sent the check a month earlier. The lady up in Michigan said she'd check it out, and then called back in a few minutes. The check had been returned for "no forward address on file." But the address was current and correct. Go figure.

Back