The plight of flight instruction

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Needed to get some dual. I've had lotsa approaches but usually I get the field shortly after the IAF. Not very demanding. Had a blank spot this morning. Peoria was 800 scattered, 2000 overcast, mist, 3 miles vis. Temp=Dew+1. Called up the young local CFI on his cell. The Local FBO that I complained about (unsolcited, unrequired, unasked for maintenence checks, logbook grounded and refused to help with repairs or sign the ferry permit, who hasn't see my aircraft now for a year after that fiasco) apparently wasn't making enough $$s on flight instruction, so liquidated the CFI and is selling the 8000 hour apiece, 4 airplane training fleet. This CFI has pluck. With a newborn child, he bought a C150 that is only equipped for VFR (one comm, one VOR). Can't do an IPC in that.

So, given his situation- there's NO instruction of any type he can do in that weather; I put him in the right seat and we exchanged time- he gets to log PIC actual (has MEI but not CFI-MEI) and I log manipulator under the hood. I know he's got a current medical; I just issued it two weeks ago when he was employed.

Got 1.2 under the hood, 3 ILSs one with a throttle pulled (he followed through on the briefing!), and a VOR approach. Did a full stop on the 8000 foot runway so he could log a landing in the Seneca. He did nicely. Best safety pilot I ever had. He got to log multi; I got practice. No IPC, but that's life. I sure hope he makes it....why are we eating our young?!!!

Last edited:
bbchien said:
Needed to get some dual. This CFI has pluck. With a newborn child, he bought a C150 that is only equipped for VFR (one comm, one VOR). Can't do an IPC in that.

Why not? I did my IR check ride in a 172 with a single KX 170B. Have they changed the rules?

Good for you Bruce for helping him out. When I was younger, there were a couple folks that stuck their neck out a little for me. Had it not been for them, who knows where I'd be today.
Hope he gets through things O.K. Someday you'll probably be able to look back and smile as he gets 'over the hump'

Best,

Dave

Henning said:
Why not? I did my IR check ride in a 172 with a single KX 170B. Have they changed the rules?

Yes they have, and the advisory circular for the IPC has changed. The representative sample of tasks from the PTS now includes 3 approaches including one precision. With a single Vertical Omnirange that makes it hard.

Henning said:

The requirements for an IPC include a precision approach. IOW, one cannot accomplish an IPC without a ILS approach. If the aircraft the CFI owned truly had "only a VOR" it would not have ILS capability.

Ed Guthrie

Henning said:

Given the weather that Bruce reported, that airplane really wasn't appropriate.

Although it may be ok to do an IPC in a VFR VOR only 150, it really can't cover the typical approcaches that one may encounter. No ILS. Well, at least I am not sure I would want to do that.

bbchien said:
Yes they have, and the advisory circular for the IPC has changed. The representative sample of tasks from the PTS now includes 3 approaches including one precision. With a single Vertical Omnirange that makes it hard.

According to the DE down here, the FAA is now interperting the IPC requirements such that the CFI conducting must act like an examiner (e.g. no instruction) and the person undergoing the IPC must successfully complete with no instruction given in order to get the IPC.

wsuffa said:
According to the DE down here, the FAA is now interperting the IPC requirements such that the CFI conducting must act like an examiner (e.g. no instruction) and the person undergoing the IPC must successfully complete with no instruction given in order to get the IPC.
Maybe so, but IMO dual voluntarily requested is not frequent enough. That airman is going to get any help I can give him to become a better pilot. The hour is jam packed. He incidentally has to perform to standards, as well, too.

bbchien said:
Maybe so, but IMO dual voluntarily requested is not frequent enough. That airman is going to get any help I can give him to become a better pilot. The hour is jam packed. He incidentally has to perform to standards, as well, too.

Oh, I agree, Bruce. It really is nice of you to do that for him. And my first order of business now that the Commercial is out of the way is to go do an IPC.

I mentioned the other only because it appears to be a change in interpertation.

bill

wsuffa said:
I mentioned the other only because it appears to be a change in interpertation.bill
...which it is, since the new instrument PTS.

bbchien said:

Ahhh, no GS coupler, that does make it different. I thought they may have changed it up to a two radio requirement.

Back