2. Smooth touch screen interface
3. Long battery life
4. Lightweight, but heavy enough to be sturdy
5. High quality camera
6. Massive list of applications available for free
7. Interface with Exchange flawlessly
8. Features not locked down by either the manufacturer or the carrier
9. Loud ringer and speakerphone
10. Doesn't freeze or lockup with multiple apps running (requires mutlitasking)

So, I had a G1, which did some of that, but it reached EOL. I tried the CLIQ, which just sucks out loud. The Droid is awesome, but is not as smooth as I'd like at times, and the Exchange interaction is a bit lacking. Its on Verizon, so its also quite locked down. I have a iPhone, as its a freaking joke (no multitasking, no way to get free programs, can't even set an MP3 as a ringtone (sigh), camera sucks, GPS is lame and not accurate until its been running for well over 2 minutes, features are massively locked down), even though it interacts with Exchange very nicely.

Brianna brought home an HTC HD2 last night.

It runs Windows Mobile, but because of the SenseUI, you would never know it (I hate Windows Mobile). This phone is fast, has a very long battery life (I played with it non stop for over 15 hours and it still had more than half life left when she took it back this afternoon). Its smooth, it interacts with Exchange nicely, has a 5mp camera, a GIGANTIC HD screen, etc.

The new Windows App Store is phenominal, with, like Android, more free apps than you can shake a stick at.

The real test, being HTC and Windows Mobile, was how it handled multi tasking. I had 10 different programs running at one time, and it handled them flawlessly without even a bit of lag. Only once I opened the 11th app (a very nice quality racing game that came with it), did it get a bit sluggish, and that was only when the tilt sensor was used to turn the car.

Its cheaper than the iPhone, does FloTV like television, and the screen is enormous (did I say that yet....if I did, I need to say it again). The screen is gigantic!

Oh, and its sold out. Dammit. I can't get one yet.

If you are a fan of the G1, you will love the Nexus One. Much faster, brighter screen, higher resolution, did I mention fast? The only downside is it doesn't have the nice physical keyboard of the G1 (but in return it appears to be half as thick, and lighter too)...

Chris

(Disclaimer: I work for Google, so I get my phones for free. Hence I can't comment on the price/performance. I also have not tried the Microsoft phone you mention, so I can't offer a comparison.)

I have a iPhone, as its a freaking joke (no multitasking, no way to get free programs, can't even set an MP3 as a ringtone (sigh), camera sucks, GPS is lame and not accurate until its been running for well over 2 minutes, features are massively locked down), even though it interacts with Exchange very nicely.

Whoa, hold on a minute...

* No way to get free programs?!? There are 140,000 apps on the App Store, and IME somewhat over half of them are free.

* Yes, you can set an MP3 as a ringtone (or an AAC, not sure if both formats work but if it's only one iTunes does convert between them) - But not a whole MP3 (it has to be cut to 30 seconds and uploaded to the phone as a ringtone). I think you just plug the phone in, go to "Ringtones" or somesuch and drag it in there, and then you can set it on the phone for everyone, or any individual. For example, when Steve Tupper calls me, the theme music from his show plays. When one of my trucker friends calls, "Truckin'" from the Grateful Dead plays.

* If your GPS takes 2 minutes to lock, it's broken. Mine gets nearby in a second or two, and then takes maybe another 10 seconds to get an accurate fix.

1) we are talking about a phone here, right?

2) how many phones do you go through in a given year??

I like when people's phones don't work. Traffic moves smoother.

Back