The peeper challenge

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
When was the first time you heard a peeper, Spring 2012?

Date and place, please. Also, if it is pretty early! I am assuming it will be.

I first heard them the weekend of Feb 17 in southern SC.

Haven't heard them here in metro DC yet. That typically happens in either late March or early April. Definitely after the time change. EDIT: last year was April 4. I bet we beat that by two weeks this year.

While it's been a bit nippy, I haven't been outside walking after dark near my house, either. Typically I'd hear them on evening walks, which naturally happens after the time change.

No way I'd hear peepers near work, so it has to be "at home".

pinkletinks?

I heard them in the east a few centuries ago. Out west all you hear is car horns, loud exhausts and sirens.

Yesterday, March 4th, Tiger Valley Rd, Washington, VA

No way! Wow! It wasn't even all that warm out.

I was shocked. Some folks had told me they were out this past week, but I sure didn't expect to hear them yesterday. There was another loud chorus on our way home from the farm...I think it was just outside of Warrenton.

Ah, well, we don't have those here... We don't hear frogs until after the rains and we haven't had "the rainy season" for a while now... Maybe this august! Hope hope hope.
But we know it's spring when the wind kicks up and the buzzards appear. There was a little rattler on the road a couple days ago, so it's warming up :)

Forecasts is for 52 degress F Tuesday and 56 degress F Wednesday.

No peepers. I do have a huge owl or hawk hanging around.

I have mud flats. Just off my deck today it was lava-like quicksand and the dogs are determined to bring it all inside. I had to venture into it to haul in my sneaky escape artist from frolicking on the highway again.

Today, 5:04 PM EST. 3.2 miles north of Lionville PA at French Creek bridge.

Gary

peepers have been doing their thing a while. didn't notice when they started but I did notice these.

Attachments

• DSCN2474.JPG
    DSCN2474.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 19
I used to make a note of the first hike of the season where I heard peepers. I don't expect it will be too early this year, even though it has been a mild winter. It usually takes a string of days in at least the 50s before they start singing. Prolly has to do with water temperature. As of last weekend, a lot of the smaller ponds around here were still frozen.

Today, Great Falls National Park. We do volunteer trail work, and it sure was cold this morning, but by mid-morning, I heard the peepers.

We don't have peepers, but we have peeps. From the sound of it, they're both very sweet. I'll have to listen for the Peepers while I eat the Peeps.

It might be sometime this week in Michigan. I hope I can get out a little and hear them -- it's spring break which means I'm swamped with work! :mad2:

And I heard the peepers tonight! I knew once the time changed/walking in the evenings I'd hear them eventually. Metro DC.

Back