The panel things

pilotod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eyeflying
I'm still a student and when I fly I usually use the minimum tools necessary to get done what I need to get done. And I'm looking outside for traffic so I can't play with the options.

And the options aren't really much. There's no glass on this thing either. What I'd like to be able to do is see how all the knobs work, which ones do what but I can only do that so much when training. Even on a cross-country I thought I'd have some time to try it out but I'm a bit busy trying to keep an eye out.

Are there any videos that demonstrate the radio functions? The GPS functions? And whatever else that could be in a plane? I can read but I like to see it in action too so videos would be helpful.

Is there any way to hook your plane up to ground power? Then you could sit and play with all the knobs and buttons and stuff without the Hobbs ticking away...

Captain is right (sorry Captain if you've already told me your first name?)

A good / nice school should let you sit in the plane and "play" when it is not in use, especially if you are paying them for all your primary training. My instructor used to make me go sit in the plane before / after lessons to get used to where all the buttons were (but I didn't have GPS and didn't plug in to use the radios).

Good idea. I guess they'd have to move the plane inside or somehow connect it to external power. Since it would be on the ground there would be some limitations to using the navigation functions. I might ask if they can do that for me though.

If anyone knows of videos I'd like to check them out.

What knobs are we talking about? What are you flying, what kind of equipment, how far along are you in your training?

Microsoft flight simulator might be a big help for you...

Good idea. I guess they'd have to move the plane inside or somehow connect it to external power. Since it would be on the ground there would be some limitations to using the navigation functions. I might ask if they can do that for me though.

If anyone knows of videos I'd like to check them out.

I think if you tell us the exact make / model of GPS - the pilots here can help you with either user manuals or videos. Or contact the manufacturer.

Some of them even have simulators so you can play with online to "pretend" you are in air and navigating to an airport.

Microsoft flight simulator might be a big help for you...
This.

One advantage I found with MS Flight Sim when I was a student and beginning Private Pilot was the variety of avionics brands/types that are simulated. After fiddling around with alot of stuff in FS, I found the transition to different rental airplanes much easier.

If there's "no glass on this thing" you're probably not going to find much in the way of software simulators other than MS Flight Sim and/or add on packs for other Sims.

But then you said GPS. Unless its a King in the panel, all of the Garmins are "glass" to us old farts. And Garmin has PC simulators for most of their products on their website.

If there's "no glass on this thing" you're probably not going to find much in the way of software simulators other than MS Flight Sim and/or add on packs for other Sims.

But then you said GPS. Unless its a King in the panel, all of the Garmins are "glass" to us old farts. And Garmin has PC simulators for most of their products on their website.

Right, this is what I meant. I found this out from POA when asking about my GPS. It was then my flight school lent out to me (and I still need to watch) a cheesy one hour video with a guy showing you how to use the thing. I believe when I looked into it online, mine is from 2004 which is pretty old. I downloaded the PDFs (user manuals) from Garmin but haven't read them. I should do that.

As others have noted, you should be able to find the user manuals online for virtually any avionics unit. That's what I have done, and it's been a big help when transitioning to different airplanes. And many of them have a "quick reference" card you can print out as well, highlighting the major functions.

I'm flying a 172R.

Damn I hate to read through confusing manuals. Brings up too many more questions. I'm eternally challenged with that.

I have FS but it's....it's...it just seems like I'm playing and I guess I don't feel like I have time for a game. But I'll go look at it. I've tried a little but it seems like it's pretty involved to figure out everything.

I feel like I have there's too much reinventing the wheel when it comes to learning.

I'm flying a 172R.

Damn I hate to read through confusing manuals. Brings up too many more questions. I'm eternally challenged with that.

I have FS but it's....it's...it just seems like I'm playing and I guess I don't feel like I have time for a game. But I'll go look at it. I've tried a little but it seems like it's pretty involved to figure out everything.

I feel like I have there's too much reinventing the wheel when it comes to learning.

What kind of GPS does it have?

I'm flying a 172R.

I don't think anybody has ever learned anything from any avionics / FMS manual ever. It's a lot of dry text. It does describe each and every function and the FAA makes me carry the f'ing thing...but the best use I can think for it is to start a fire if I ever land off airport in wilderness.

The best way I've found to learn these systems is to play with them. Either on the ground hooked to power, in a sim, or an online sim if it's a nav function you're after.

Like the others have said if you know the make/model of whatever you want to play with and get on google, you're sure to find videos, manuals, or sims for each component. Also flight sim can work if you can find your plane with a panel similar. Sometimes that is tricky to do.

Not so much for working with the gps or radios but I'm a big believer in "chair" flight/visualizing flights. Always a good tool to use, whether it be in plane or just with the imagination at home. I always take a pic of the panel on my phone so I can use it at home for visualizing.

Good luck and if you find yourself struggling to locate material, you can post the name of the component here and I'll be glad to do some digging as well.

At least someone feels about the same way.

I'll do the FS thing.

The GPS that's in the plane is one of those without a moving map. It's got the tracking thing but that's about it. I think I can use the GPS with the CDI when I push that white GPS button. Not sure but the GPS will act like a VOR, right?

I don't think anybody has ever learned anything from any avionics / FMS manual ever. It's a lot of dry text. It does describe each and every function and the FAA makes me carry the f'ing thing...but the best use I can think for it is to start a fire if I ever land off airport in wilderness.

Oh hell no! Garmin to this day makes a line of GPS with a monochrome LCD display that has such a pitiful graphic representation that even an Alzheimer patient couldn't stretch their imagination that far. You fly those on text/numbers & CDI bar type indication. For IFR they require a proper CDI instrument such as you're used to with a VOR and other requirements. My first garmin was a mushroom bulb about 4" or so in Dia and 6" tall, screwed onto a rail mount and had a 20 some foot serial cable out with no display. It was a DGPS 53 and I ran it with a Satellite Pro 486 on Win 3.11, it even had a 14,400 modem card. I used Cap'n Navigator, same software USCG was using, some survey plotting program that I want to say had frog in the name, and a series of Jeppesen programs for flying. The 53 DGPS was acceptable by the Corps of Engineers to confirm my dump scow discharge location which is why I got it, it was sub inch accuracy on the survey plot.

I believe there are sims out there for the Bendix/King 89B/94B series. I should have them if you need them. I also have plenty of older VHS tapes on using old-skul GPS's.

Tell us exactly what is in the airplane and we can help you out.

As far as sitting in the airplane and fiddling, you should be able to play on the ground with the GPS for a good long time without seriously draining the battery. Get permission and do that. The nav functions work on the ground; also, you can enter a flight plan, etc.

I'm gonna find out the brands and model info tomorrow. I'll take pics of the panel as well.

It probably wouldn't kill you to just dedicate some dual time to playing with stuff while the cfi flies. Maybe after studying the other stuff, to limit your fiddling to only the things that are still unclear. There should be time on any XC.

It probably wouldn't kill you to just dedicate some dual time to playing with stuff while the cfi flies. Maybe after studying the other stuff, to limit your fiddling to only the things that are still unclear. There should be time on any XC.

Exactly correct!!!

No amount of FS whatever, pilot guides, online simulators, sitting on the ground hooked up to an external power source, etc. will duplicate what you go through aloft. Think about having to deal with the panel equipment and dividing your attention to comms, navs, and the usual bumps...go get a cfi to fly with you and play away.

Exactly correct!!!

No amount of FS whatever, pilot guides, online simulators, sitting on the ground hooked up to an external power source, etc. will duplicate what you go through aloft. Think about having to deal with the panel equipment and dividing your attention to comms, navs, and the usual bumps...go get a cfi to fly with you and play away.

It is cost-effective to do all the free bits first before doing it at $160/hr.

Here are 2 pics. Why would the supplement 21 Bendix/King KMD 550 infomation be in the flight manual if that is not in the panel?

2hs3ihz.jpg

a2dovm.jpg

The GPS is Bendix/King KLN 89 so I'll look that info up on the net.

Last edited:
Here are 2 pics. Why would the supplement 21 Bendix/King KMD 550 infomation be in the flight manual if that is not in the panel?
Because Cessna puts all the supplements for all the optional equipment in the manual for all the planes regardless of actual equippage. Guess it's simpler for them to do it that way.

The GPS is Bendix/King KLN 89 so I'll look that info up on the net.

Did you note what everything is top to bottom?

Anyway, I assume you are mainly interested in the GPS? The program linked earlier in the thread will help. I have some videos that cover that. I am thinking my older Sporty's IR tape, my older King IR tape, my older Sporty's Air Facts tape on GPS.

edit: Is this it?
• NAV I Cessna Package
• KMA 24 Audio Panel
• KLN 89B Moving Map GPS
• Dual KX 155 Nav/Com(s) (looks like 155A)
• KT 76C Transponder
• KAP 140 Auto Pilot, 3 Axis w/ Altitude Preselect
• KR 87 ADF

Last edited:
I forgot my to look closely once I got in the plane so I went back after flying to take the pictures and then someone else needed the a/c so I don't have all the model #s. The GPS is the one I wanted for sure so I got that but I would appreciate and videos you have. Are they online?

Did you note what everything is top to bottom?

Anyway, I assume you are mainly interested in the GPS? The program linked earlier in the thread will help. I have some videos that cover that. I am thinking my older Sporty's IR tape, my older King IR tape, my older Sporty's Air Facts tape on GPS.

edit: Is this it?
• NAV I Cessna Package
• KMA 24 Audio Panel
• KLN 89B Moving Map GPS
• Dual KX 155 Nav/Com(s) (looks like 155A)
• KT 76C Transponder
• KAP 140 Auto Pilot, 3 Axis w/ Altitude Preselect
• KR 87 ADF

I forgot my to look closely once I got in the plane so I went back after flying to take the pictures and then someone else needed the a/c so I don't have all the model #s. The GPS is the one I wanted for sure so I got that but I would appreciate and videos you have. Are they online?

Not online. Do you have a VCR? I will tell you which ones and you can find them on eBay.

Back