The OPM Hack Years Ago Got Me

Mooney Fan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
USAA called this morning. Some POS convinced them they were me and changed all my login info and ordered new credit cards. Thankfully, we got it in time. The level of information they had to impersonate me was scary. The only thing that tripped the fraud wire was they lacked my military service information. But knew everything else, wife and kids names, D.O.B, etc. The conclusion is I was a victim of the hack at Office of Personnel Management by the Chinese

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3...ty-practices-meet-chinas-captain-america.html

Scary to hear. I'm surprised they didn't know/have your mil history.....OPM investigations always seem to be weirdly fixated on exact dates spent at a given job or command, residence, etc. Maybe the sketch balls only paid for certain info or something. Glad they caught it! USAA also caught about $1000 worth of fraudulent charges on one of our accounts a week or so ago, mostly at weird random places like the Adidas store and Popeyes chicken.

Scary to hear. I'm surprised they didn't know/have your mil history.....OPM investigations always seem to be weirdly fixated on exact dates spent at a given job or command, residence, etc. Maybe the sketch balls only paid for certain info or something. Glad they caught it! USAA also caught about $1000 worth of fraudulent charges on one of our accounts a week or so ago, mostly at weird random places like the Adidas store and Popeyes chicken.
Glad they got it solved for you. The bad part about this is there seems to be some chink in USAA's armor. Somehow, the hackers had my pin used to validate identity with phone calls. The hack was all done over the phone during multiple calls. The scammers report your card lost, order replacement overnight mailed to your current address on file. Then they call USAA back to get a FEDEX tracking number. Then they call FEDEX and change the delivery address. Smucks

Like I've said elsewhere on this blog, I have been a victim in every breach since about 2002...

Every kid in China has my security clearance info on their lunchbox....

The conclusion is I was a victim of the hack ... by the Chinese

...there seems to be some chink in USAA's armor.

OfX3tRV.png

Back