The Onion quoted as a real source on Fake Moon Landings

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Hilarious!!

A Bangladeshi newspaper was forced to print an apology Thursday after running an article that said astronaut Neil Armstrong had admitted his 1969 moon landing was part of an elaborate hoax.The story, which first ran on US satirical news website www.theonion.com on Monday, said that Armstrong had been convinced by a conspiracy theorist that the Apollo 11 mission had been orchestrated by the US government.
The Daily Manab Zamin, which translated the moon story into Bengali and ran it on Wednesday, attributed the story to the Onion News Network

Another Bangladeshi newspaper, The New Nation, ran the story in its print edition and online on Thursday.
"We thought it was true so we printed it without checking. We didn't know The Onion was not a real news site," associate editor Hasanuzzuman Khan told AFP

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j6KS46abrFjwE7YYu7yASsgfWhKQ

Reading this made my day!

I wish I could consider it an isolated incident.

I'm trying to remember the details of some hard science guy (physics) I think who made up a paper and submitted it to a social science peer-reviewed journal and not only got published but lauded for his <insert politically demeaning adjective> clap-trap.

Joe

You have to give them a break. The onion is only slightly more credible when it comes to aviation than your above average aviation expert news reporter.

Reminds me of the time when a mainstream photography magazine published an article claiming that Soviet photos of the far side of the moon were fake (except they weren't joking). Their "proof"? That when magnified, the edge of the moon appeared jagged in a stair step fashion.

This was long before digital photography entered the consumer market, and the magazine's experts on film photography were apparently unaware that electronic transmission of pictures was either done digitally or with scan lines!

Last edited:
Back