The Next Chapter

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
Thanks so much for replying to my earlier request for information about living in the DC area.

We visited, explored, considered the offer, yet decide to respectfully decline. It just wasn't what we needed. While I won't rule out ever living in DC, it's not happening now.

I've accepted an offer from a consulting firm and begin work at the Exton, PA office on March 14th.

The new position has the right combination of compensation, opportunity, flexibility, and location we've been looking for for a while.

While I've appreciated the opportunity to work supporting the Department of Defense in several roles over the past 11 years, it's time to move back into the private sector and leave the world of uniforms and hierarchy behind.

We'll be selling our house here and renting for a while in the Exton area -- my preference will be a bicycle commute when possible. We're empty-nesters so no driveway shoveling, multi-acre mowing, limb lopping, weed pulling, groundhog-hole-filling, et cetera for a while is fine.

We will remain Steeler and Penguin fans so will probably annoy some of our new neighbors, but c'est la vie.

:D

We'll be close to our friends and daughter in Lancaster county where we lived for 17 years.

I'll be moving the Chief and hope to find some hangar space at one of the grass fields nearby (Morgantown, PA looks good!)

So look out Wings guys and FlyBQ fanatics -- there will be one more crazy little airplane pilot hanging out with ya' on a hazy, hot, and humid Eastern PA lazy afternoon.

Dan,

You'll be in my back yard. Welcome Bro!

I'm just up route 100 a few miles from Exton. Let me know if you need anything. N47 is a great airport with a rag wing guru shop on the field.

Dan,

You'll be in my back yard. Welcome Bro!

I'm just up route 100 a few miles from Exton. Let me know if you need anything. N47 is a great airport with a rag wing guru shop on the field.

Awesome!

I'll let you know when I'm in town. Will be commuting until we sell.

I've called the number there and left a message asking about hangar space. Maybe they are in FL over winter?

Congrats on the new job and upcoming move! Hope you enjoy it.

I've accepted an offer from a consulting firm and begin work at the Exton, PA office on March 14th.

Congratulations on the new position! Our offices are in Exton, on Rt. 30 a few miles west of the Exton Mall. As mentioned in other posts, a few POA'ers in the area.

Gary

Woooo Hooo another Souteaster POAer!! Welcome to the area Dan. Please be advised that since you are moving to our neck of the woods there are certain requirements. They are as follows:

In spring summer and fall you will be required to join me, Rob Schaffer, Gary, Shane ( Otis Air) where the heck has he been, Gary Mascelli, Bob Ciotti, Occassionally Ted and a few others for our Friday night Wings Hangar Flying events with muchies, beer and soda. ( New guy brings the libations)

AND

You get to help out at the FlyBQ:D

Welcome glad to have ya here.

Woooo Hooo another Souteaster POAer!! Welcome to the area Dan. Please be advised that since you are moving to our neck of the woods there are certain requirements. They are as follows:

In spring summer and fall you will be required to join me, Rob Schaffer, Gary, Shane ( Otis Air) where the heck has he been, Gary Mascelli, Bob Ciotti, Occassionally Ted and a few others for our Friday night Wings Hangar Flying events with muchies, beer and soda. ( New guy brings the libations)

AND

You get to help out at the FlyBQ:D

Welcome glad to have ya here.

I wouldn't dare miss it!

Awesome!

I'll let you know when I'm in town. Will be commuting until we sell.

I've called the number there and left a message asking about hangar space. Maybe they are in FL over winter?

Witmer's is not the FBO. They are the Bellanca shop, and operate year round. I taxied by their shop on Wednesday and they were working.

The FBO is TNT Air, call and ask for Tom, Joe or Angie.

http://www.tntair.com/

Your other options are Chester County or Brandywine, but they are typically more expensive for all services. Oh yeah and Pottstown, Limerick (Heritage Field :rolleyes2:) may also have hangars.

Last edited:
I'll probably be more likely to come when Laurie's up here - we'll hop in the Aztec and fly on down. :)

Witmer's is not the FBO. They are the Bellanca shop, and operate year round. I taxied by their shop on Wednesday and they were working.

The FBO is TNT Air, call and ask for Tom, Joe or Angie.

http://www.tntair.com/

Your other options are Chester County or Brandywine, but they are typically more expensive for all services. Oh yeah and Pottstown, Limerick (Heritage Field :rolleyes2:) may also have hangars.

Does N47 allow landing on the grass next to the runway?

(Many airports do, but it's not listed anywhere -- AFD included -- and so is only local knowledge)

Does N47 allow landing on the grass next to the runway?

(Many airports do, but it's not listed anywhere -- AFD included -- and so is only local knowledge)

Don't know if it listed, but often see the grass being used, particularly by the glider folks. It's a nice little airport.

Gary

Dan,

I have never seen anyone use the grass at N47, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Call the FBO and see what they say.

Congrats, Dan. Glad things are working out for you. I've only been down that way once on a night cross country to PTW.

Dan,
Congrats! Nice to have you in the area! N57 is new garden and there is/was a waiting list for hangars. Great bunch out there at new garden and a really nice hangar that EAA holds their meetings.

Just about anywhere would be better than DC. Hope you find a nice grass field for the Chief!

Thanks, all for the kind words.

We visited Exton today and I met with my new employer.

Janet liked the area (As I suspected she would!)

I didn't stop at Morgantown today (too wet and rainy) but will in two weeks when I started F/T out there.

It has its attractions, but would have needed about $40k more to make those attractions escapable.

:cheerswine:

I was once looking at two jobs in different areas. Although one job had 50% higher gross pay than the other, it actually would have resulted in the same take-home pay and a lower quality of life as far as the area was concerned.

I was once looking at two jobs in different areas. Although one job had 50% higher gross pay than the other, it actually would have resulted in the same take-home pay and a lower quality of life as far as the area was concerned.

That is a very important part of the Big Picture that's often missed....

We made that judgment when we moved to Western PA. Now that the nest is empty, options change.

The DC offer was decent, just not high enough to make life there as pleasant as it can be.

Back