The New Panel Upgrade (pix)

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Technically since these are portable devices I didn't upgrade anything as the only logbook entry is for two accessory plug installs which are hidden up under the panel.

The large screen is a Lilliput UM-80-C/T, an 8" touch screen LCD panel at a resolution of 800 x 600. Nothing more than a USB monitor which connects to my Flight Cheetah 150 from Aviation Safety. The FL150 and yearly subscription provides me with all the sectional charts, Low Enroute, High Enroute, TACs, and Helicopter charts for the entire US. Also included, all the approach plates and airport diagrams. The FL150 will show your location on the sectionals, IFR, and airport taxiway diagrams - which makes taxiing around the Cs and Bs a bit easier.

Since the FL150 only has a single USB port, and the UM-80 has a single USB input which is fed by two USB outputs, I needed to install a powered USB hub which is also hidden behind the panel. Also rather than wreck the nice adonized aluminum cutout from Ron and Jons, I got a piece of scrap aluminum, cut to size, and cut 4 keyhole slots in it. I got 4 M4x12mm bolts and put them in the 75mm x 75mm VESA mount holes in the back of the UM-80 and it locks right into place.

I flew with it for 2 hours this weekend in bright daylight, and duskish conditions and had 0 visibility issues. Total cost:

$995..FL150
$212..UM-80 (including shipping)
$150..12V outlet parts and labor install
$58...Radio Shack 12V power cords - ($29 x 2)
$15...USB Hub
$1....M4 x 12mm bolts & washers (4)
$0....Scrap Aluminum
-----
$1431

I don't know if I could get a better setup for that price.

IFR plate subscription (includes approach, airport diagrams, STARs and DPs) - $199 annual
VFR/IFR charts - $99 annual

Attachments

• panel1.jpg
    panel1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • panel2.jpg
    panel2.jpg
    916.4 KB · Views: 386
  • panel3.jpg
    panel3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • panel4.jpg
    panel4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • panel5.jpg
    panel5.jpg
    979.5 KB · Views: 37
  • panel6.jpg
    panel6.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
That's really cool Ed. Nice setup!

Man I would love/hate to see what you would do with an 'experimental' panel! ;)

Looks good!

Back