The Mysterious "D"

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I found an article online, "The Mysterious D", that describes a new feature on approach plates, airport diagrams, and other reference material. This was something I wasn't aware of and likely many of you aren't either.

It is a symbol that says "There is additional and important runway information in the A/FD".

I encourage everyone to read the article.

It's actually not very new (2009). Good check ride question though.

It's a well known requirement by those who calculate TOLD, but easy to miss if you're not concerned about performance or not required to run it. Definitely a gotcha on checkrides, I was asked on my last one.

It's a well known requirement by those who calculate TOLD, but easy to miss if you're not concerned about performance or not required to run it. Definitely a gotcha on checkrides, I was asked on my last one.

I remember it from the instrument examiner course. "Ahh, Class D?" Then you find out what it is and think, great, another useless piece of knowledge for a helicopter pilot.:confused:

Good stuff. I have my checkride coming very soon so glad I know this now! That "D" shows up on several of my most common approach plates.

Yep declared distances. Nothing new but I expect most smaller GA guys wouldn't be too concerned about it. This gets hammered on us in pilot training but for us, TOLD is pretty important.

Back