The liars are coming, the liars are coming

Dr. O

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
denny
Oh sorry, I meant ' the lawyers are coming'

I see that Porsche is being sued over the Walker death. The widow claims that Porsche is negligent in not manufacturing a car that can hit a steel pole at 94 mph without causing injury.
I harken back to the Cirrus crash of Cory Lidle, which was caused by total brain fade, and her nasty attempts at extorting money from Cirrus/Continental/etc.

Are there *any* cars that would prevent that? Someone needs to send her into a pole at 94mph - without a cage around her. Along with the lawyers.

When will you lawyers start policing your own, and tell them to quit taking these ****ing cases?

When will you lawyers start policing your own, and tell them to quit taking these ****ing cases?

Why should they? It's "free money". All they have to do is file the paperwork, pay a small fee and let the games begin. Insurance and companies will usually settle out of court to avoid litigation, so for the investment of a small amount the winnings are huge.

Just imagine if the US had a "loser pays" system. Unfortunately will never happen as the Trial Lawyers have a death grip on the legislative system.

Is the crash reconstruction anywhere in the public record ?

The claim is that he was only going 55. I have been to the scenes of a couple of car around tree accidents, and the wreckage of this one sure looks more like the 95mph kind.

Is the crash reconstruction anywhere in the public record ?

The claim is that he was only going 55. I have been to the scenes of a couple of car around tree accidents, and the wreckage of this one sure looks more like the 95mph kind.

I believe there is. Not only from the sheriff's office but also done by Porsche engineers. Not that the engineers aren't somewhat biased, but I think they can reasonably do an impartial job to prove that excessive speed was involved.

Speed from crush is a very complex problem I have had to work on several occasions. Unless it was a fatal, I would always work up speed with other methods such as conservation of momentum. However, when the vehicle strikes an object and wraps or stops right there with no preimpact evidence and nothing to work on a vault calculation, not many choices are left.

It is also subject to error and some call it voodoo science. The culmination of working the pre formula data is dropped into an energy calculation based on how many point used in the crush box and if you made no mistakes anywhere in the precursor formulas, the results are generally accurate.

In this walker case, I would have assumed the AIs would have verified the crush result with a vault calculation and/or speed from skid if there was any preimpact evidence.

It's pretty foolish to try and sue a car company when your drunk husband kills himself and another in a street legal race car.....hope Porsche take it to court to prove the point and goes for legal fees for frivolous filing.

I'd be surprised if the suit gains any traction. People are really stupid about airplanes and will believe whatever they're told. I doubt anyone is stupid enough to believe someone has to build a car to withstand a 100mph crash.

I'd be surprised if the suit gains any traction. People are really stupid about airplanes and will believe whatever they're told. I doubt anyone is stupid enough to believe someone has to build a car to withstand a 100mph crash.

Cars that race on Saturdays and Sundays with numbers and advertisement all over them survive 100mph crashes every week.

Cars that race on Saturdays and Sundays with numbers and advertisement all over them survive 100mph crashes every week.

They are also not street legal and you can't go down to the dealership and write a check for one.

They are also not street legal and you can't go down to the dealership and write a check for one.

That wasn't part of the original claim. :)

You could make them street legal by adding lights. I also can't go down to my local dealership and write a check for a Donkervoort or an Atom.

I see that Porsche is being sued over the Walker death. The widow claims that Porsche is negligent in not manufacturing a car that can hit a steel pole at 94 mph without causing injury.

Translation: the stupid hoe has burnt thru whatever money her husband left her and now needs an ATM withdrawal from EvilDeepPocketsBigCorp[TM].

I believe there is. Not only from the sheriff's office but also done by Porsche engineers. Not that the engineers aren't somewhat biased, but I think they can reasonably do an impartial job to prove that excessive speed was involved.

This works similar to a ntsb investigation where the manufacturer works on behalf of the investigating agency. In this case, the actual box is probably a product of VDO and they have no dog Iin the fight (or is it race?)

Part of the claim is that Porsche sold the car without a vehicle stability system. Given that this is a street legal track car and not a minivan, that contention is stupid.

Well, I have a pre-VSP RWD 911 in my garage. Roads are dry, time to go and play a bit.

Last edited:

People routinely get into fatal wrecks at much lower velocities, and any potential jurors will understand that. I don't think they can find 12 Americans who've never heard of the automobile.

People routinely get into fatal wrecks at much lower velocities, and any potential jurors will understand that. I don't think they can find 12 Americans who've never heard of the automobile.

Jurors are not selected for their intelligence and ability to think for themselves. They are selected for pliability by the plaintiff's attorney. IOW, yes, we can get them to believe that.

The lawyers will play on the sympathy of the jurors,who will stick it to a big company,just on principal.

That wasn't part of the original claim. :)

You could make them street legal by adding lights..

Um, no likely not. They're probably also missing a few other things than lights.

Besides, you let me know what happens when you run a race car at 100 MPH into a POLE. I suspect it might do a little better but that's going to be pretty ugly as well. There's a good reason they don't put POLES around race tracks. Not only have the cars gotten a lot better over the years, so have the tracks. Better walls, gates, safer barriers.

I know a guy who lost his leg in a NASCAR race (a few inches over and he would have lost his life). Got to go to his wedding decades later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZPYf4jEPIY

Um, no likely not. They're probably also missing a few other things than lights.

Besides, you let me know what happens when you run a race car at 100 MPH into a POLE. I suspect it might do a little better but that's going to be pretty ugly as well. There's a good reason they don't put POLES around race tracks. Not only have the cars gotten a lot better over the years, so have the tracks. Better walls, gates, safer barriers.

I know a guy who lost his leg in a NASCAR race (a few inches over and he would have lost his life). Got to go to his wedding decades later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZPYf4jEPIY

Probably depends on your state law. I know that about the only difference between a street legal dunebuggy and a not legal one is turn signals and lights. (or at least was) And NASCAR cars have way more to them than dunebuggies.

I may just sue Jack In The Box for making me fat... man I love those 99 cent tacos. :rolleyes2:

And an unusual combination of physics factors in the crash caused the defective speedometer to mark 98 MPH incorrectly.

The OBD computer was tampered with, too.

Probably depends on your state law. I know that about the only difference between a street legal dunebuggy and a not legal one is turn signals and lights. (or at least was) And NASCAR cars have way more to them than dunebuggies.

Street legal does not equate to legal to sell as a manufactured car. And yes it varies by state, and I suspect that even today in whatever state you're in, it would take more than lights to get either a race car or a dune buggy street legal.

Street legal does not equate to legal to sell as a manufactured car. And yes it varies by state, and I suspect that even today in whatever state you're in, it would take more than lights to get either a race car or a dune buggy street legal.

Yes, race ready cars are not street legal by federal standards safey and possibly emissions, dune buggies are generally old VW chassis, or they used to be, and have NO safety standards to meet. I believe a dune buggy built on a 2010 VW chassis would have to meet federal guidelines for emissions and safety.;)
I seriously doubt a race ready car will have side curtain airbags installed and working. :rolleyes:

True, but I never said anything about manufactured cars. If you make less than a certain number per year, you are exempt from a bunch of safety standards. And you'd be surprised at how relaxed some states are when you don't have saltwater shores. Here in MI, we don't even have emissions testing. The state NEVER inspects anything in relation to your car.

It appears for Michigan one would need to add lights, a horn, wipers, and a side mirror to make a stock car street legal. More than lights? Yes, but not a lot.

Last edited:
Why should they? It's "free money". All they have to do is file the paperwork, pay a small fee and let the games begin. Insurance and companies will usually settle out of court to avoid litigation, so for the investment of a small amount the winnings are huge.

Just imagine if the US had a "loser pays" system. Unfortunately will never happen as the Trial Lawyers have a death grip on the legislative system.

The US does have a 'loser pays' system in some applications, I know Admiralty cases are handled that way.

Cars that race on Saturdays and Sundays have full roll cages, racing seats, and five or six-point harnesses. Drivers wear 3-layer Nomex suits and helmets.

Porsche GT3s that are sold in Europe come from the factory with roll cages, the ones sold in America do not, due to DOT regulations. Same for seats- Euro cars get one-piece racing shells engineered to work with five-point harnesses, while American cars get "sport seats" which will not pass a tech inspection for wheel-to-wheel racing.

Back