The latest on 406MHz ELTs?

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
There is a story going around the UK, apparently from one avionics shop, that US registered aircraft must carry a 406MHz ELT when outside the USA, or perhaps when more than 50nm radius of somewhere.

Can anyone confirm this, with a reference to the FARs?

I own and fly an N-reg airplane (TB20) and AFAIK any ELT is OK, even just a 121.5 one. I have recently replaced a 121.5+243 one with a 121.5+406 one, but that's because some European airspace owners are mandating a fitted 406MHz unit to be carried on any aircraft regardless of registry.

My question is concerning the FAA requirements on this.

My reading of the US AOPA material (I am a member and get their mag) is that the FAA tried to mandate 406 but failed.

I know of no FAA mandate on 406MHz. There was a failed attempt to get N-number aircraft to have to carry one when traveling to Canada. But recent events on 406MHz ELTs in Canada make that a moot issue.

Peter,

There is no requirement by the FAA for N numbered aircraft to have a 406 MHz ELT, and the FAA has stated it no intention of issuing such a requirement. An ELT is required, but may be of the 121.5 MHz, 243 MHz, or 406 MHz required. 406 MHz equipping is strictly voluntary.

The Rev will probably jump in on this one, but I thought the FAA had mandated a 406MHz ELT on US registered airplanes IF they were leaving the country but that it could be a portable.

I do not know of this rule being suspended (like Canada's was).

The Rev will probably jump in on this one, but I thought the FAA had mandated a 406MHz ELT on US registered airplanes IF they were leaving the country but that it could be a portable.

I do not know of this rule being suspended (like Canada's was).

Show me the rule.

not some ones opinion. the real rule.

I don't think it was a US rule but Canada had theirs until recently and Mexico still has one (at least last time I checked.)

Joe

No US requirement that I can find. However, satellite monitoring of 121.5 ended Feb 1st. US-registered aircraft may be mandated to have 406 ELTs to fly in other countries airspace, however:

Aircraft that travel to Canada or Mexico must also be aware of those countries’ requirements. Canada has proposed to require any aircraft entering its airspace after February 1, 2009 to have a 406 MHz ELT installed on board. As of July 1, 2008 all aircraft flying to Mexico must have a 406 MHz ELT although Mexico has agreed to allow U.S.-registered aircraft to continue using existing 121.5 ELTs until July 1, 2009 or when the battery on the existing 121.5 ELT is due to be replaced, which ever occurs first.

Source: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...kan/notices/media/fcc-121.5mhz-da-09-33a1.pdf

Apparently the Canada proposal got squashed, for now:

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2009/090507elt.html

And, finally, here's a really good summary article:

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2009/090122elt.html

Last edited:
No US requirement that I can find. However, satellite monitoring of 121.5 ended Feb 1st. US-registered aircraft may be mandated to have 406 ELTs to fly in other countries airspace, however:

Source: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...kan/notices/media/fcc-121.5mhz-da-09-33a1.pdf

Note that this is a FCC advisory not a rule.

Apparently the Canada proposal got squashed, for now:

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2009/090507elt.html

Not really, the transport minister refused to sign it, due to it had no alternet method of compliance.
And, finally, here's a really good summary article:

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2009/090122elt.html

note that AOPA is a opinion not a rule.

the real rules are CAR 605.38. which states what aircraft ned what ELT in canada.

and the in US airspace the rule is 91.207

91.207 Emergency locator transmitters.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no person may operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless—

(1) There is attached to the airplane an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition for the following operations, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations:

In 91.207 the FAA doesn't care which ELT you have.

we expect the FAA to reword the rule to say after a certain date we can no longer install a 121 style ELT. as they did on the last upgrade of ELTs

In Canada either is exceptable in your little privately owned aircraft.

ANY US regestered aircraft operating in other countries must comply with the other nations equipment rules know about what you are required to have before you leave

Last edited:
Show me the rule.

not some ones opinion. the real rule.

14 CFR 91.703.

By ICAO regulations effective 7/1/08 all international flights were required to carry a 406MHz ELT. 14 CFR 91.703 gives ICAO regulations the power of a FAR, so it's the law for us when you travel between countries or over the high seas. When you are in a foreign country local law applies. So for flights to Canada & Mexico which currently don't require 406MHz's the ICAO regulation only applies as you cross the border. AFAIK no one is enforcing this bit of silliness.

14 CFR 91.703.

Para (a)2 is why I made the statement above.

Read the rules of the Country you are going to. Canada's rule is CAR 605.38

ours is 91.207.

Mexico, who knows, I don't go there, and haven't read their rules, but I do live 65 miles from Canada and go there almost every month.

14 CFR 91.703 gives ICAO regulations the power of a FAR
Are you sure about that?

It would mean the whole of the vast ICAO document set was US LAW - except where the USA has filed a difference. I don't know either way but I find this utterly incredible. AIUI, ICAO sets a framework for individual countries to implement in their national laws; ICAO is not law itself and there is no "ICAO police" as such.

Outside the jurisdiction of any country (e.g. in the middle of the Pacific Ocean) I can believe ICAO rules apply but that doesn't really affect anybody in Europe where every bit of every piece of water is carved up between countries.

The double irony is that ICAO regs are not accessible. You have to purchase them for loads of $$$ - except that a lot of it is online courtesy of the Danish CAA who get a lot of criticism for having done this.

Personally, I have a 406 ELT installed now, and the 121.5+243 Artex one is on Ebay.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that?.

As sure as you can read the rule..

91.703 Operations of civil aircraft of U.S. registry outside of the United States.
(a) Each person operating a civil aircraft of U.S. registry outside of the United States shall—

(1) When over the high seas, comply with annex 2 (Rules of the Air) to the Convention on International Civil Aviation and with §§91.117(c), 91.127, 91.129, and 91.131;

(2) When within a foreign country, comply with the regulations relating to the flight and maneuver of aircraft there in force;

(3) Except for §§91.117

To me that reads like ICAO Rules of the Air only. I've just read through Annex 2 and cannot see anything relating to ELT carriage.

Looks like you need it when over the "high seas," but when over another country, it's whatever that country says. Anyone planning any translant/transpac flights this summer? As for flying in the UK, it's up to the CAA.

ACK is *this* close to shipping their new E-04; it's TSO certified, entire package is $599.

http://www.ackavionics.com/406 Page.html

I've been following their development, I like how forthcoming they are with updates and posts as to the certification process.

Their FAQ is a good reference to the current state of the 406 requirements.

Back