The last plane I flew crashed this morning (no injuries)

MassPilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaPilot
http://www.wcvb.com/news/plane-accident-reported-in-mansfield/24500934

Mansfield police and firefighters responded to Mansfield Municipal Airport Saturday morning after a student pilot came in too low and skidded off the runway.The pilot was able to walk away without injury, police said.Police said the pilot was practicing landings at about 9:30 a.m. when the 2003 Cessna C-172S came up 180 yards short of the preferred landing area on the runway. The plane went into a skid after its wheels hit a snow bank and the right side landing gear snapped.
Damage to the plane was estimated at $45,000.
Police said an investigation is pending.
I flew this plane three weeks ago. I was thinking of flying it today, but it was already booked by the time I thought of it.

Lease-back?..............No. I don't think I will.

:confused: Why not? It's an insured piece of machinery, not your child. If it makes money, it's a good deal. Lease back is a business proposition, nothing more. Business assets get damaged all the time, that's what insurance is for.

People who 'put their baby' on leaseback so someone else can subsidize their usage costs have the wrong idea of what a lease back is about. I know it gets sold that way, but if the person is selling it that way, you need to run, because you will lose. Yacht brokers do the same scam, tell people "yeah, you can buy this and charter it out when you're not using into pay for your use." It doesn't work unless you are willing to only use it when no one else wants to charter it, and it's not down for between charter maintenance and repairs.

Any machine you put out for rental should be a straight up business proposition where you have no interest in using the machine.

That's not really crashed....more like a small landing accident.

Just a hard landing,feel bad for the flight school,lost revenue is never good.

That's not really crashed....more like a small landing accident.

I have first hand experience with something like this. Since there is significant damage, the FAA will classify it as a "crash". It's just a word to describe it if it meets the criteria.

I have first hand experience with something like this. Since there is significant damage, the FAA will classify it as a "crash". It's just a word to describe it if it meets the criteria.

Since we don't know the severity of the damage we can't say that the aircraft received substantial damage. However per §830.2 it's either an accident or an incident. I don't think FAA ever officially defined the term "crash."

Realistically though in my mind the word "crash" describes something like this: http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/F-22-crash-site.jpg. When an aircraft suffered minor landing gear damage and a prop strike it's not really a crash. If it was, you'd be calling every single gear up landing a "crash."

Since we don't know the severity of the damage we can't say that the aircraft received substantial damage. However per §830.2 it's either an accident or an incident. I don't think FAA ever officially defined the term "crash."

Realistically though in my mind the word "crash" describes something like this: http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/F-22-crash-site.jpg. When an aircraft suffered minor landing gear damage and a prop strike it's not really a crash. If it was, you'd be calling every single gear up landing a "crash."

When I talked to the FSDO about my incident, he specifically said it wasn't classified as crash. But I think we all know the FSDO might not be the best source of info or for them to use the right termonology, or he was just using the word interchangeably with accident.

It was a little windy today. Might have had something to do with it. I fly out of Northampton. I cancelled today because of the wind.

It was a little windy today. Might have had something to do with it. I fly out of Northampton. I cancelled today because of the wind.

I was mistaken when I posted this and the accident actually happened yesterday morning at 9:30. I checked the historical METAR's for the area and the wind was calm.

When I talked to the FSDO about my incident, he specifically said it wasn't classified as crash. But I think we all know the FSDO might not be the best source of info or for them to use the right termonology, or he was just using the word interchangeably with accident.

Yeah he probably just used the standard english language to describe what has happened. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I flew this plane three weeks ago. I was thinking of flying it today, but it was already booked by the time I thought of it.

I assume you guys have other planes in the fleet, right? So your not completely screwed.

"Damage to the plane was estimated at $45,000."
mother-of-god-meme-rage-face.jpg

Happened to me once. The person renting the 172 before me had a cylinder crack, and flipped the plane over during the forced landing. Thankfully, no one hurt, but the plane was totaled. And, thankfully, it didn't happen while I was flying it.

Back