The IR camera has the runway is sight

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Last edited:
Hey, it knows the runway is there. What do we need the meatbags up front for?

To keep the airplane upside right. The nose of real airplanes have propellers on them that twirl the camera around too much to be of any use for anything.

I remember a video somewhere showing an approach into Telluride? With an IR display. This was shortly after an accident on a night approach into the airport.

What do you think military pilots have done for years with night vision technology?

What do you think military pilots have done for years with night vision technology?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're using binocular devices and are getting special training in their use and learn both its capabilities and its limitations. Civilian pilots, too, must get special training and certification to use NVG's. OTOH, there's no extra training or special certification required just because there's an EVS in your Cirrus or 206.

We use NVG's every time we fly after dark except when there is a patient on board. The FAA does not allow NVG use with with patients. I don't know why. Just last week we were practicing landing small openings in the middle of wooded areas using the NVG's. We also use FLIR whenever involved in a search or a chase.

We use NVG's every time we fly after dark except when there is a patient on board. The FAA does not allow NVG use with with patients. I don't know why. Just last week we were practicing landing small openings in the middle of wooded areas using the NVG's. We also use FLIR whenever involved in a search or a chase.

That makes no sense at all. Are you speaking of NVG for the pilot or the crew in the back?

For the pilot it's approved for use via OpSpec. For the crew in the back the FAA does not regulate NVG use.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're using binocular devices and are getting special training in their use and learn both its capabilities and its limitations. Civilian pilots, too, must get special training and certification to use NVG's. OTOH, there's no extra training or special certification required just because there's an EVS in your Cirrus or 206.

You are right...I think we had a 8 ride checkout program in the F-16 (4 air to air and 4 air to ground) and were'nt supposed to use them for take-off and landing or refueling because of closure/magnification illusions. However in Iraq we did because of the sandstorms and lack of approach lighting...and approaches. :yikes:

That makes no sense at all. Are you speaking of NVG for the pilot or the crew in the back?

For the pilot it's approved for use via OpSpec. For the crew in the back the FAA does not regulate NVG use.

I was speaking about the crew and I was mistaken about the FAA. I called our chief pilot and said the FAA does not regulate the crew's use of NVGs. It is a departmental rule. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. The pilot always wear NVG's at night.

You are correct. I was on the test team for introducing the NVG to the B1B. We were told they would not work in the B1 because of the special coating on the windshield. We took the nay Sayers into a blacked out hanger at night, doors closed powered up the internal electronics on ground power, put them in the seat. They could not see anything outside the airplane in the hanger. Gave them the NVGs and it was like daylight.

Hint NVGs do need some residual light to magnify.
Yes binocular NVG does have depth perception issues to be learned.
Yes we had to cover all of the interior lights that would be on, and annuciator panel with NVG compatible green film.

Back