The iPod clap...

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
No, it's not an std...

I pretty much thought my trust iPod had given up the ghost. Wouldn't boot up, HD was making clicking noises, iTunes wouldn't load it up, diagnostics came back all n/a. All indications were the HD was toast.
Searched the web for replacements, and found they are available around $110 for the series 4 20GB HD.

As I was reading through the posts on the installation site, someone suggested holding the machine firmly in the left hand, click wheel side up. With open palm, firmly bring your right hand down, thusly applying a firm smack. With great trepidation, I gave it a shot. Literally.

It worked like a charm. Machine booted right up. Works like new.
So, should you find your iPod Tango Uniform, give it the applause it deserves. I have since come to find out this is standard first echelon repair practice at the iPod service centers, only they charge you $200 for it.

I have since come to find out this is standard first echelon repair practice at the iPod service centers, only they charge you $200 for it.
Only, it's much more professional. They use a four-ounce rubber mallet so they can charge for "adjustment tool" usage. :D

No, it's not an std...

I pretty much thought my trust iPod had given up the ghost. Wouldn't boot up, HD was making clicking noises, iTunes wouldn't load it up, diagnostics came back all n/a. All indications were the HD was toast.
Searched the web for replacements, and found they are available around $110 for the series 4 20GB HD.

As I was reading through the posts on the installation site, someone suggested holding the machine firmly in the left hand, click wheel side up. With open palm, firmly bring your right hand down, thusly applying a firm smack. With great trepidation, I gave it a shot. Literally.

It worked like a charm. Machine booted right up. Works like new.
So, should you find your iPod Tango Uniform, give it the applause it deserves. I have since come to find out this is standard first echelon repair practice at the iPod service centers, only they charge you $200 for it.

Compaq once had me do this to my aunt's brand new computer. He said "you're going to think this is crazy, but I want you to lift the front of the computer about 6 inches off the table. Ok, now let it go."

Sure enough, it worked. he sent out a replacement hard drive because it was "sticking" and he was afraid it'd be warped.

It's an old trick. Another method is to firmly strike the spindle of the drive with the handle of a large screwdriver, or to firmly set the drive down flat against a wooden workbench.

Probably more common is the freezer method, in which you enclose the drive in a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer overnight. Chances are that come morning, you'll get one more good run out of the drive until the internal temperatures equalize.

All, however, are just temporary solutions. If the drive is clicking, then it's dying.

Best bet for you is to get your iPod to a good shop and clone the HD onto a new drive. Any good shop should have the tools to do this (most cloning software simply makes a bit-by-bit copy of the partition), but one that services a lot of Mac's might be a better choice.

Expect to pay for a new drive and about an hour of labor, assuming the drive doesn't die halfway through the process.

-Rich

Back