The Impossible Turn caught on video

Maui Cirrus CFII

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
AoA
Video here
Disclaimer: the video you are about to watch is to educate the pilot on Angle of Attack flying and in no way recommends, condones or encourages pilots to attempt it. Furthermore, we encourage owners of aircraft to consider an AoA for their aircraft, from any manufacturer.
More videos at www.iflyaoa.com

Get educated about Angle of Attack.

Shouldn't this be in classified, if at all on POA?

There is no particular sales promotion in the video. It's a discussion on aerodynamics. There is a lot of free info for pilots on our site, from engineers to videos by me and the FAA.

Not to mention... it's a second thread in his advertising series.

Good idea actually, not everyone watches every channel or reads every magazine, right?

It's like watching 'Sully' part 2!

is that dude wearing socks with fingerholes cut into them on his hands? this spam is gonna get old real quick. the video didn't even show an image of the AoA indicator, pretty weak. I pretty much learned nothing.

Those are gloves recommended by my dermatologist. Since I'm in the are 60-80 hours per month it blocks UVA. The AoA is on the glareshield. Watch it again. You will see the colors change. More videos at www.iflyaoa.com

is that dude wearing socks with fingerholes cut into them on his hands? this spam is gonna get old real quick. the video didn't even show an image of the AoA indicator, pretty weak. I pretty much learned nothing.

You're not a quick learner anyway, right?

By the way... do you have AoA on the laundry basket? And from the other thread, what speed do you fly the ILS in that beauty?

Why didn't you do this at the airport?

Great video, next time can we loose the James Bond is going to die kind of background music? I am seriously considering AOA indicator when I get my plane. Seems odd to me that such an critical component is not something standard on GA planes

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Great video, next time can we loose the James Bond is going to die kind of background music? I am seriously considering AOA indicator when I get my plane. Seems odd to me that such an critical component is not something standard on GA planes

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yes the industry is coming around. Slowly.
Bond...James bond...

Advertisements are generally frowned on......

That'll work but pilots need to remember 4R is quite long. If you are doing this off a shorter runway, YMMV.....at usual best L/D a 500 foot shorter runway will need an additional 500 altitude to make the extra mile. So the proper disclaimer needs to be: outcome also depends on:
turning into the crosswind
Angle of Bank
Distance from rotation point to the runway end.

Please, don't be encouraging guys to do the impossible turn from 500 feet. You'll hurt a lot of guys.

Best L/D on a P3 is about 8.25 AOA. But for most pilots the issue isn't AOA. It's their airspeed control is sufficiently abominable that the issue is "stall" vs. "energy wastage" and turn radius getting too large due to airspeed. Control the first 90 degrees of turn is just CRITICAL.

Last edited:
I watched a bit but did not pick up on how many degrees the turn was, was this just a 180 degree turn ( which would not get you back to the runway)?

If you watch carefully I explain.

When I noticed you weren't actually demoing the maneuver in the title, I kinda lost interest and closed the window.

It's like saying here's how to recover from a stall, but you never stall the plane.

When I noticed you weren't actually demoing the maneuver in the title, I kinda lost interest and closed the window.

It's like saying here's how to recover from a stall, but you never stall the plane.
I'm trying to bring awareness about flying AoA.

What should I remove to not appear as an ad?
The site is devoted to learning AoA. I said in the disclaimer that it doesn't matter what manufacturer, I think all aircraft owners should have one.
I have technical articles, videos and FAA videos.

What should I remove to not appear as an ad?
The site is devoted to learning AoA. I said in the disclaimer that it doesn't matter what manufacturer, I think all aircraft owners should have one.
I have technical articles, videos and FAA videos.
Your attempt to bring awareness seems to look, to EVERYONE here, like advertising. Is that viewpoint lost on you after all the responses you've gotten?
Have you spent any time on the site?

Not meaning to add to the criticism, but I felt like it was more of an AOA demonstration than an actual impossible turn simulation.

AvWeb made an interesting demo w/ Paul Bertorelli in a Cub that actually demonstrates the maneuver in the airport environment.

holy cr @p you're fkng annoying. you are the jehova's witness of AoA. go the fk away.
I'm sorry you are annoyed. And I apologize to the group if this is inappropriate content or in the wrong venue. I'm new to the board.

I also didn't realize how much negativity there is about safety. I shall leave if that suits you.

New? Weren't you on here about a year ago pushing IPCs/FRs or something in Hawaii? I recall joking if that included air fare.

There is negativity about ADVERTISING.

Got any fun videos for us without your company branding on them?

I think @eman1200 mistook you for a JW when you're probably just trying to be the QVC of AoA. All day ads, someone has to buy.

Keep in mind. I said in you other ad thread that I do like AoA, fly with it on my RV, and advocate it for my club planes.

What your getting a less than friendly welcome for is... your... blatant... ADVERTISING.

There is negativity about ADVERTISING.

Got any fun videos for us without your company branding on them?

I think @eman1200 mistook you for a JW when you're probably just trying to be the QVC of AoA. All day ads, someone has to buy.

Keep in mind. I said in you other ad thread that I do like AoA, fly with it on my RV, and advocate it for my club planes.

What your getting a less than friendly welcome for is... your... blatant... ADVERTISING.
Got it.

Congrats, 1st and only person I have on ignore.

The music destroyed the creditability of the video, it turned it in to a commercial.

He's like the battery bunny on that commercial, he don't quit!

Back