The importance of avoiding ambiguous pronoun usage

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
It's funny, in all the time I spent in English classes, I never really found a good example of ambiguous pronoun usage. Today, reading the story about Lidle's plane crash, I found a perfect example from CNN.com:

"Lidle is the second Yankee to die in the crash of a plane he owned."

Sure sounds like Lidle has owned 2 planes, and both of them crashed, eh?

SkyHog said:
It's funny, in all the time I spent in English classes, I never really found a good example of ambiguous pronoun usage. Today, reading the story about Lidle's plane crash, I found a perfect example from CNN.com:

Hmmmm, not really the way I read it, but.... OTOH, where I live now, it's best to use ambiguous pronouns so not to offend the he/shes.

SkyHog said:

If I didn't know anything about the accident I would summize from the quote that two Yankees died in the plane crash. I would be wondering who is the second Yankee who died with him.

" "Lidle is the second Yankee to die in the crash of a plane he owned."

I was wondering who the first Yankee to die in this person's other plane was?

N2212R said:
Sidd Finch

nicely done Ed... it's not everyday you see a Sidd Finch reference...

sbonek said:
nicely done Ed... it's not everyday you see a Sidd Finch reference...
What every happend to Sidd? I know that; He's a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd's deciding about yoga

Last edited:
Back