The happiest day(s) in the life of a pilot!

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
They say that the two happiest days in a pilot's life are the day he buys an aircraft and then the day he sells it.

I got to spread it out over three days for my PA28-181. The day I bought it a few months after getting my PP-ASEL, the day a few years back that I sold 2/3 of it because I was too busy flying rotorcraft, and then the day last spring when I sold the remaining 1/3. Happy days all.

Some years back, I bought a 1/5 interest in a Robinson R22 Beta II. This was a happy moment also, and N7527D was the ship that I started and finished my PP-RH add-on in.

And, it was a really happy day in September 2006 when one of my partners and I took delivery of our R44 Raven II! :yes:

And now, to come full circle, we were no longer flying the R22 much because the 44 is lots faster and more comfortable. And so we decided to have Pocono Air Center in Honesdale, PA market it for us. We had an offer from a South African buyer which we accepted. I just got word that Pocono Air Center just got the funds wired to their account. Another happy day!

Hmm. Does this clear the way for a turbine? A new R66 after they make 50 or so of them, or maybe a used B206? Or how 'bout a used Hughes/MD-500? Ooooh. These would all be happy days :D

(For those interested, Lycoming finally agreed to disassemble the R44 engine and repair any damage they find in addition to replacing the one obviously bad cylinder. We should be back in the air towards the end of January.)

Still waiting for the day I get my first a/c :p

Also waiting for the funds to get my RH add-on. :D

Bring that R44 down to SC!

I think my happiest day would be the day I could afford the one I have! It is sure not looking any better. I see some 100LL at over $5.00 a Gal. Sure takes the joy out of flying.:yes:

They say that the two happiest days in a pilot's life are the day he buys an aircraft and then the day he sells it.

Naaa, that's boats. I've bought and sold five aircraft in the last 8 years and still own two. The only thing about selling any of them that made me happy was it freed up the cash to buy the next one. Maybe I've been pretty lucky. Maybe it's because they were nearly all late model aircraft. Most likely though, it's because I work with a good friend who's an aircraft broker who has taught me how to buy the right plane for the right price. On two of the aircraft I've owned, I flew them for a year and sold them for enough to pay for all ownership costs (and one turned a profit). The other three I basically flew for a year or so with my only net costs being gas/oil, insurance, annual, and hanger.

Of the two aircraft I own now, I suspect the '05 Columbia 400 is probably going to hold it's value very well now with the Cessna deal finalized. The Pitts I'll probably take a bath on if I ever sell it. I bought it new and the market is pretty soft on used aerobatic aircraft. I can honestly say that the day I ever sell that plane will be the opposite of happiest days in my life.

The moral to that story: Go buy a plane.

Back