The greatest way to wake up.

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
Ever wake up and have your SO roll over and say: "It's a beautiful day, let's go flying."

This happened to me on Saturday.

I think I'm in love. :yes:

So I sign out the Cessna because the Piper is booked, Call up a couple of people to see about borrowing a headset (really need to pick one up for passengers). Go have breakfast and head out to the airport, where the guy with the piper loans me a headset and we take off. I go around the pattern a couple times because it's been a while since I flew the Cessna, not perfect landings but passable and we head off to the southeast for some sightseeing over his hometown. He was hopelessly lost in the air. We come across Ashland first which is where his ex and daughter live. After about 10 slow flight circles around town he gets the location of their house down to a street but that's the best he could do. Then we head over Pottsville to Minersville avoiding Zerby since they were calling jumpers away on unicom. I pick out the courthouse in Pottsville and he's still hopelessly lost, as we head over to Minersville I ask can he find his parents house from the highschool. He's like "you see the High school?", "Not really, but I see a football feild which is probally the High school's." He couldn't belive I could pick stuff out so quickly. He agian got it down to a grouping of houses but couldn't pick out which one it was. At this point I had to needed to make a pit stop, wanted to claim Zerbey for the ConUS challenge and the idjits jumping out of perfectly good airplanes should have cleared the area so we head over and land at Zerbey. Not a bad small airport on the top of a mountian, the bad part was the FBO was closed and locked tight. There was a bathroom with a combo lock but no clue as to what the code was. A lifeflight helicopter was just landing and shutting down so I was going to make my way over to see if they knew the code when a guy in a truck pulled up to the gate. He let us into the bathroom and all was good. I then drooled over the new pitts in his hanger (not his), the almost compleated referb of a tripacer and a nice skylane which he was pulling out. We took the ConUS picture and headed back home. My So then tells me that he really enjoys flying but really couldn't see getting a licence himself (good, no fighting over PIC) and he can't belive how I can navagate without a GPS. He wants to go on vacations by airplane but is going to make sure I have a GPS before we go. :yes: I could do that every weekend.

Missa

He couldn't belive I could pick stuff out so quickly. He agian got it down to a grouping of houses but couldn't pick out which one it was.
One of my kids had this problem... she needed glasses, and this was the first indicator. I wouldn't presume to advise you to tell him to have his eyes checked.... but as your relationship develops.....

My So then tells me that he really enjoys flying but really couldn't see getting a licence
:dunno: He may be on to something here!

Anyhow, nice write up! Enjoy the "dual"!

-Skip

He was hopelessly lost in the air.

This is typical of most ground pounders. With a bit more experience he'll probably learn how to relate to the airborne perspective. Sometimes it helps to bring a street map along.

but is going to make sure I have a GPS before we go
Sounds like you're more likely to get portable avionics than jewelry this Christmas:fcross:. Of course that might imply you'd have to return the GPS if you break up in the future ;)

Missa - go over google maps of the areas with him (hybrid maps - sat photo with street overlays) - good practice for "pre-flighting" the view from above

Well, I don't know if that is the greatest way to wake up, but it certainly sounds like a great day!

He sounds like a keeper.

Guess you'll just have to keep getting him up there until he does better Missa.

Attachments

• Rosie2.jpg
    Rosie2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
times 6. or wherever we are at now.

Ok, so as I think about the responses more, it gives me lots of insight to the minds of men on this board. I didn't say what happened... just that I left parts out. Everything else is from your own imagnation.

Missa

When I started reading this I though it was going to be about an airplane... but it's about a guy! :eek: :D

A guy who likes to sit in the right seat when I fly... an airplane. He's even started to talk about what it would cost to own an airplane. I told him we'd have to have two. One for me to take him places and a Citabra to keep me happy! :goofy:

Missa

Thanks to all the guys with comments and advice from the head on top of their shoulders.

I plan to take him in the air agian soon. He wants to take his daughter for a flight soon too. I've shown him google earth before but I guess I will have to insist that he sit down and play with it in the area we will be flying in before the flight. I did not have a roadmap but it would have been a good idea. I did keep giving him the chart so that he could try to get orentated but he still had problems. This was our second flight but the first was in marginal and I just did patternwork followed by a short trip over Williamsport to find my house.

Missa

I plan to take him in the air agian soon. He wants to take his daughter for a flight soon too. I've shown him google earth before but I guess I will have to insist that he sit down and play with it in the area we will be flying in before the flight. I did not have a roadmap but it would have been a good idea. I did keep giving him the chart so that he could try to get orentated but he still had problems. This was our second flight but the first was in marginal and I just did patternwork followed by a short trip over Williamsport to find my house.

Missa

In all fairness, the whole orientation-in-the-sky thing plagued me for my first few flights as well. It comes with time. I think the overwhelming amount of visual data while experiencing the thrill of flying makes it difficult to process things until we get acclimatized a little.

Personally, I'd hate to have to "study" before a fun flight. Eventually, I'd get it on my own, through trial and error and a little guidance from whoever is flying left seat. Pretty soon, major landmarks will be easily seen and distances will start to make sense. It just takes a little time.

And here I thought I was going to have to take disciplinary action over this thread when I read the title. Whew!

Ok, Insist is probally to strong of a word... strongly encourage and pull google earth up while we are looking at the chart planing on where to go.

Missa

He certainly sounds like a keeper... of course, you kept him overnight, so it's safe to assume that he's housebroken and well-mannered and such, and meets all your other standards.

Best of luck!

A sectional with easy to see landmarks highlighted may help! At least he will become familiar with the sectional and how to ID various points of interest from the air.

Mary always picks out the nuke plant cooling towers in Pottstown, PA and in Salem, NJ. I think it helps her get her bearings. Mary also mentioned the major highways, really large buildings. I always thought the " I follow roads" helped Mary become comfortable with the area.

Good luck !!! and if he likes to fly ...heck he must be a keeper!

Back