The GM Jet

You will recall 300,000 10 year old automobiles to fix a possible loose screw that has caused 30 accidents at a cost of $500 per unit. That is a point .01% failure rate but we must be sure and protect our citizens from the ruthless auto industry.

OK, off the soap box now, NEXT.:fingerwag:

Don't tell the FAA is into the auto industry too:eek:

I bought my Pontiac Sunfire a couple years ago with about 60,000 miles on it. I'm rolling on 140,000 miles now minus the failed air conditioning. During this time I've done the following:

1) Front brakes, twice
2) Starter
3) Alternator
4) Bolted muffler back on after a mount broke and it was dragging on the road

Oh. I just remembered a few more. I also replaced:

1. Coils
  2. Plugs
  3. Spark plug wires
  4. fuel filter
I've also changed the oil about every 30,000 miles or so.

That sounds like a lot to this foreign-car driver.

The Honda I bought just shy of 120K. In 8 years and another 100K miles, I replaced the slave cylinder on the clutch, the alternator, and the 12-year-old factory battery. That's it.

The Volvo, I bought used 2.5 years ago, I hit 110K miles on it this weekend. It has yet to see a shop.

Ford, on the other hand - Ugh. My parents have had a few Fords. Two of the three bit the dust permanently due to mechanical problems - One at around 55K (though fairly old in years, it wasn't used much), the other at around 120K. The third, a full-size van purchased new in 2000, has had many thousands of dollars' worth of mechanical problems, and I'm pretty sure it's still at less than 100K. And the stories I hear from my dad about multiple Ford dealers' customer hate departments is unbelievable.

Their Honda, OTOH, has had minimal issues and is still going strong after 16 years and around 200K miles.

I bought my Pontiac Sunfire a couple years ago with about 60,000 miles on it. I'm rolling on 140,000 miles now minus the failed air conditioning. During this time I've done the following:

1) Front brakes, twice
2) Starter
3) Alternator
4) Bolted muffler back on after a mount broke and it was dragging on the road

Oh. I just remembered a few more. I also replaced:

1. Coils
  2. Plugs
  3. Spark plug wires
  4. fuel filter
I've also changed the oil about every 30,000 miles or so.

That sounds like a lot to this foreign-car driver.

The Honda I bought just shy of 120K. In 8 years and another 100K miles, I replaced the slave cylinder on the clutch, the alternator, and the 12-year-old factory battery. That's it.

The Volvo, I bought used 2.5 years ago, I hit 110K miles on it this weekend. It has yet to see a shop.

Ford, on the other hand - Ugh. My parents have had a few Fords. Two of the three bit the dust permanently due to mechanical problems - One at around 55K (though fairly old in years, it wasn't used much), the other at around 120K. The third, a full-size van purchased new in 2000, has had many thousands of dollars' worth of mechanical problems, and I'm pretty sure it's still at less than 100K. And the stories I hear from my dad about multiple Ford dealers' customer hate departments is unbelievable.

Their Honda, OTOH, has had minimal issues and is still going strong after 16 years and around 200K miles.

Ford would have to do something REALLY major to ever sell me a car.

The United States of America does not equal "America" Got to Cadana and try to say that... they get a but ****ed. America is the Continent... The United States of America is not the only thing that is "American"

Cadana? Where's that? ;) Oh, and call one of those Canadians an "American" and they'll get way more ****ed.

Also, "America" is not a continent. North America is a continent, and South America is a continent.

But the important thing is that in the context of this economic discussion, we are talking about United States of America vs. Not USA.

The United States of America does not equal "America" Got to Cadana and try to say that... they get a but ****ed. America is the Continent... The United States of America is not the only thing that is "American"

I thought the continent was North America. :confused:

I've been purchasing three-year-old BMWs as they come off lease at dealer's auctions. A guy here started a business where he goes, sends me a fax showing what will be sold. He looks at the nicest ones and lets me know if I should bid. He will just out bid dealers (they need to bid low to mark the car up to the retail purchaser). He charges $500, cleans it up and I have a car. The difficulty comes if you get picky. I wanted a 328, one of four colors and a stick shift. The manual transmission was difficult to find. I settled for a 325 last time.

Of the four BMWs I've owned now, beginning with an '84 I purchased new, each lasted five or six year before I gave them away or sold them. My niece is still driving my last one: has fixed a window and a couple lights that burned out--has over $110,000 miles; I had purchased it with less than 20,000 back in '97.

Best,

Dave

Funny thing- our Jetta is a German car built in Mexico. It's on the "bad car" list above, but after nearly six years, it is (touch wood) an excellent car- tight and runs well. We intend to keep it for the long haul, for Tommy to drive when he gets his license in three years. Can I disconnect the turbocharger? (grin)

===

I do have a bias to German design, and my previous car before the Caddy was an Audi, which was an extremely satisfying car, smooth, quiet, fast (though not quick) and bank-vault solid. Sadly, it got totaled, and I bought the Cadillac in the "for th elove of God, please buy something" frenzy after 9/11, with zero percent financing (my down payment was nine cents). The dealer from which I bought the car was exceptional in their service and attention, and I thought that they might have won a customer over, but then the service manager changed, and suddenly, I was just another mark. Oh well.

And that, actually, is where the game is, in my view. I am confident that the relative difference in quality between vehicles from first-line manufacturers, domestic and foreign, is de minimis. Where the difference can come down, is in dealer service. We had a peach of a car in a BMW 328 Cabrio, loved it, but could not stand how arrogant the service people at the dealership were, especially in contrast to the very good service we had become accustomed to at the Audi shop.

If I had to buy a new car, today, I don't know what direction I would go- I'd look hard at Audi A4, Acura TL (although I am disappointed in their boy-racer styling changes), the Infiniti G37 (that car is bigger inside than it has any right to be, and is a hoot to drive), the C-Class Benz (hey, it's a Benz) and (of course) a 3-series BMW. While I love my Caddy, I believe that my days of having a large car as a daily driver are over. We might buy an older but serviceable Suburban as a company vehicle for when we need room, but I see no point in driving one all the time.

Ironically enough, while I believe that the quality of the current Cadillacs is on-par with their competition, foreign and domestic, and superior in some respects, I just cannot warm up to the edgy styling. Still, at least they have been allowed to exercise some innovation.

The Lexi 400-series appear to be bullet-proof to at least 150k miles. The big inspection at 90k costs ~$3-4k, but other than that it's change the oil and do one brake job. DW's 2002 430 (I buy them at 60k, with that inspection completed for roughly 50% of original price) just passed 100k and hasn't missed a beat. There's a reason Toyota has taken over as #1.

We've
Funny thing- our Jetta is a German car built in Mexico. It's on the "bad car" list above, but after nearly six years, it is (touch wood) an excellent car- tight and runs well. We intend to keep it for the long haul, for Tommy to drive when he gets his license in three years. Can I disconnect the turbocharger? (grin)

===

I do have a bias to German design, and my previous car before the Caddy was an Audi, which was an extremely satisfying car, smooth, quiet, fast (though not quick) and bank-vault solid. Sadly, it got totaled, and I bought the Cadillac in the "for th elove of God, please buy something" frenzy after 9/11, with zero percent financing (my down payment was nine cents). The dealer from which I bought the car was exceptional in their service and attention, and I thought that they might have won a customer over, but then the service manager changed, and suddenly, I was just another mark. Oh well.

And that, actually, is where the game is, in my view. I am confident that the relative difference in quality between vehicles from first-line manufacturers, domestic and foreign, is de minimis. Where the difference can come down, is in dealer service. We had a peach of a car in a BMW 328 Cabrio, loved it, but could not stand how arrogant the service people at the dealership were, especially in contrast to the very good service we had become accustomed to at the Audi shop.

If I had to buy a new car, today, I don't know what direction I would go- I'd look hard at Audi A4, Acura TL (although I am disappointed in their boy-racer styling changes), the Infiniti G37 (that car is bigger inside than it has any right to be, and is a hoot to drive), the C-Class Benz (hey, it's a Benz) and (of course) a 3-series BMW. While I love my Caddy, I believe that my days of having a large car as a daily driver are over. We might buy an older but serviceable Suburban as a company vehicle for when we need room, but I see no point in driving one all the time.

Ironically enough, while I believe that the quality of the current Cadillacs is on-par with their competition, foreign and domestic, and superior in some respects, I just cannot warm up to the edgy styling. Still, at least they have been allowed to exercise some innovation.

Everyone I know with a 400-series Lexus loves 'em- they seem as well-sorted as any car built.

Of course, Lincoln Town Cars in livery service routinely run up to 600,000 miles with oil changes and brake pads so, again, I think MX is the biggest issue.

We use a car service when we go out of town on mailing tubes for longer trips, and don't want: (1) the irritation of dealing with luggage and parking serially, (2) the expense of long-term parking, and (3) to have to retrieve a car when we get back. They typically use Town Cars for airport runs (though occasionally show up in a stretch, which delights Tommy), and the last time we used 'em, the Town Car in which we rode to the airport had 630,000 miles. The driver (who owns the outfit) says that he budgets for 500,000 miles, usually gets 600,000, and was planning on giving the car we were in to his daughter to use at college. He said the heads had never been off of the engine, and that the AC had never needed charging. Oil changes, brake pads and front struts.

The Lexi 400-series appear to be bullet-proof to at least 150k miles. The big inspection at 90k costs ~$3-4k, but other than that it's change the oil and do one brake job. DW's 2002 430 (I buy them at 60k, with that inspection completed for roughly 50% of original price) just passed 100k and hasn't missed a beat. There's a reason Toyota has taken over as #1.

We've

We had a peach of a car in a BMW 328 Cabrio, loved it, but could not stand how arrogant the service people at the dealership were, especially in contrast to the very good service we had become accustomed to at the Audi shop.

Did you consider taking the BMW to the Audi shop? Doesn't work on warranty issues of course, but a good service shop will often work on off brand vehicles, especially for a good customer they have been dealing with for awhile, because they hope that you'll end up buying another Audi off of them if they keep you around and use their "loaner", and that the service shop is the most profitable thing at the dealership. Some do, and some don't, if you have a shop you really like, it's often worthwhile to try. I had a guy at a Mercedes dealership taking care of my mom even after she bought a new Passat and he had no problems with it because she had been a good customer for years, and I didn't like the service writer at the dealership she bought her car from.

Henning, is there any ship you haven't sailed????

BTW when I was a kid in Germany I always wanted to sail on the Gorch Fock. Neat ship.

Yeesh. Caddies and town cars and volvos, oh my. My wife's Tercel is a 94. It cost new less than most people spend to repair American cars. I can't think of anything its ever needed that wasn't under warranty. And it still gets better mileage than anything new we can buy. No it doesn't ride smooth as silk, but we're not cadaverously old and don't really need such.

Henning, is there any ship you haven't sailed????

BTW when I was a kid in Germany I always wanted to sail on the Gorch Fock. Neat ship.

I didn't get to sail the Mercator (Belgium's State Tall Ship) But I did get free access to her and her booze locker.:D Schooner Rat is a life long title, you never lose it regardless what you are currently running or doing, and it's an interesting fraternity.

2780169807_e6bdc740b4.jpg

2780850042_43190e027f.jpg

2781022880_dbb8f66e74.jpg

My 80 Tercel (bought during gas crisis) was pound-for-pound the best car we ever owned.

Yeesh. Caddies and town cars and volvos, oh my. My wife's Tercel is a 94. It cost new less than most people spend to repair American cars. I can't think of anything its ever needed that wasn't under warranty. And it still gets better mileage than anything new we can buy. No it doesn't ride smooth as silk, but we're not cadaverously old and don't really need such.

Anybody hear about the auto companies pulling out of the Detroit Auto shows due to cash concerns, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Suzuki are in the group so far.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081125/BUSINESS06/811250363

Added link - removed Chicago

Whatever the percentage was in normal times, now there are not going to be a whole lot of actual new car buyers going to auto shows. I would expect even the looky-loo crowd will be way down because families are hanging on to their cash.

We just need another federal bailout save the Teamsters and such doing exhibit hall support. :frown2:

People hanging onto their cash is not an entirely bad thing. Its called savings, and its a shame Americans need to be prodded into doing so by an out and out disaster.

Back