The Ghost of Symantec lives on...

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
OK, a while back I removed, deleted etc. as much of Norton as I could. It lives on.

Whenever I run certain programs (including an older written in Basic, compiled by TurboBasic (hey - I said it was older...) program) I get a window that the 'puter is trying to load S32EVNT1.DLL which, I believe, is related to Norton. When I run this program, I get a "close or ignore" option, and choosing "ignore" works fine, but it is a whole extra click....

I have run regedit (carefully! I don't really know what I am doing in Regedit) searching for some reference to this file and have not found it.

Is there any way to get the computer to stop asking for this file? Would it help to copy a "good" DLL and rename it, to trick the computer into thinking it had loaded this one?

This is a minor problem to be sure, but since this is a rainy IFR weekend and I am not going anywhere, the "really important" tasks are floating to the top.

Any helpful geeks in the area, please advise!

-Skip

Skip, is it only older programs that fail? Run it again... does the title bar of the error window mention "16-bit Windows Subsystem" as the source of the error?

As I suspected. If you want to give me a call, I'll walk you through fixing it. There's a couple of things you need to check.
My thanks to Troy! We spent a few minutes on the phone and he walked me through a Regedit that did the job.

How nice is that! The people on this Board are great! :yes:

Troy, as we said at the end of the call, I do hope we can meet some day. Beverage of your choice is on me!

-Skip

My thanks to Troy! We spent a few minutes on the phone and he walked me through a Regedit that did the job.

How nice is that! The people on this Board are great! :yes:

Troy, as we said at the end of the call, I do hope we can meet some day. Beverage of your choice is on me!

-Skip

Right on, Skip! Nice to finally talk to you. Glad the fix was what we thought it was... :yes: sometimes you think you know what the problem is and then you get thrown a curve ball.

Awesome! Better'n any commercial tech support, eh? "For Troy, Press 1..."

"For English, press 1..."
"Thank you. Please hold while we tranfer you to the Bangalore call center"

I had an epiphany the other day when once again invited to "press 1 for English"... Perhaps I need to sharpen up my Spanish... what are the odds that the call techs in India speak Spanish? Maybe I'll actually get a tech in the US?

Back