The geeks think VATSIM is geeky

Looks good to me. :D Haven't flown from the pilot side in years, but I can tell you with certainty that from the other side of the scope you can typically find me at, it's as real as it gets minus the fancy FAA hardware.

What's the status of the VATSIM ATC 'training' program? I was actually looking forward to being a V-ATC'er, but the program was pretty much FUBAR and I got fed up with it and quit. Have they got things straightened out yet?

Looks good to me. :D Haven't flown from the pilot side in years, but I can tell you with certainty that from the other side of the scope you can typically find me at, it's as real as it gets minus the fancy FAA hardware.

and the lousy pay long hours etc. if you listen to Don Brown, which I know you do :)

What's the status of the VATSIM ATC 'training' program? I was actually looking forward to being a V-ATC'er, but the program was pretty much FUBAR and I got fed up with it and quit. Have they got things straightened out yet?

The program was initially introduced at VATUSA level but instructor staffing restricted the number of students being trained and the whole thing was scrubbed essentially. There are no plans that I know of to recreate such a program/academy.

and the lousy pay long hours etc. if you listen to Don Brown, which I know you do :)

It definitely is....$0/hr for lots of labor. But we all do it because we like to, geeks or not (most of us are).

I must say, I LOVE flying on VATSIM. When I can't really be in the air, this is truly the next-best thing. It was an amazing training aide, and really helped me polish my radio skills before I started my real-life PPL training. Even now, it's a great help for when I go for my IR in that through VATSIM, I'm flying on full IFR flight plans, including a SID, J-airway routes, a STAR, then finishing up with a category III ILS approach - all using the actual real-life plates that I download from airnav or the like. It allows me to "fly" aircraft that I probably will never be able to fly in real life, and allows me to "fly" into airports and parts of the world that I will never get to fly to in real life as well. The people who are acting as ATC are wonderful and almost always sound as professional as real-life ATC's, though they get so used to people flying IFR plans that I kinda throw them for a loop when I tool around VFR in a Cessna or Bonanza. If this makes me a geek, so be it :).

I love VATSIM, except when I have to listen to a poor controller deal with a newbie pilot who doesn't know ANYTHING.

A nearby operator has interfaced their full motion sim to VATSIM.

Back