The Fort Lauderdale Crash

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Her Majesty(former wife) lives in Lauderdale Lake, FL, and e-mailed me the following:

"Dial up this: http://www.sunsentinal.com and look at the slide show.
It happened just a few miles from here by the Executive Airport yesterday afternoon. The pilot is being called a hero for nobody getting injured. Apparently, it was a broken fuel line; they said the wing span on that DC-3 was 90 feet and he managed to land it on a street without taking out any houses, just a couple of cars and trees."

HR

That is a big airplane to have to put down in a residential area without anyone getting killed. It appears (to me at least) to be pretty darned good airmanship by the flight crew.

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]
3,200 pounds of granite in its cargo bay

That doesn't sound like too much of a load for a DC-3, I wonder why it couldn't climb on one engine?

Of course there's always some ninny around to complain about airport expansions. That fact that a longer runway would have given the stricken airplane a better chance of coming down on the airport sails right over their heads.

[/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]
Among the bystanders was Linda Birde, president of the Lake Escapes Improvement Association. She said a coalition of associations have fought Executive Airport's expansion, fearing this kind of accident.

"This is our worst nightmare right here," she said. "We came very close to losing children in our community."

[/font]

lancefisher said:
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]

That doesn't sound like too much of a load for a DC-3, I wonder why it couldn't climb on one engine?

Of course there's always some ninny around to complain about airport expansions. That fact that a longer runway would have given the stricken airplane a better chance of coming down on the airport sails right over their heads.

[/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]

[/font]

Wonder if the load shifted?

Wonder if the 'complainers' are activist Home Owners Associations...???

Back