The Festival

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I suspect that very few who read this forum have been to one of the 65 Maine Lobster Festivals, the annual event in Rockland, Maine. One of the most popular events is the Lobster Crate Race. A line of 50 lobster crates are strung together in the harbor, just off the dock of The Pearl Restaurant. Contestants run across the tops(obviously) of the crates, attempting to stay dry. The "dry" part is an extremely rare occasion.

Below are four images I took in 2008. CBS Good Morning was doing its telecast from the festival, and the host in that era tried his luck at staying dry. A small part of his sequence is shown.

HR

Attachments

• CBS_1 DSC02829.JPG
    CBS_1 DSC02829.JPG
    682.6 KB · Views: 6
  • CBS_2 DSC02876.JPG
    CBS_2 DSC02876.JPG
    714.7 KB · Views: 7
  • CBS_3 DSC02877.JPG
    CBS_3 DSC02877.JPG
    700.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CBS_4 DSC02878.JPG
    CBS_4 DSC02878.JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 9
It took me twenty minutes to drive 3/4th of a mile through Rockland on Sunday. :mad2:

I drove an hour from AUG to see the annual airshow at Owl's Head. Beautifully sunny in Augusta, yet 40 miles to the East, the coast is completely socked in.

When you look at the corner of the float, he didn't get ver far along the crates.

This year's champion is 12 years old. He traveled across 6000 lobster crates; kept doing it, stayed dry; took a break at some point and then went back at it. After racing across the total of 6000 he intentionally jumped, not fell, into the water. The 2nd place winner is 9 years old and mastered 2000 crates before he fell into the drink. The standing record, until this year, was 4000 crates. Very few contestants manage to get very far before taking a bath.

HR
[EDIT] This was intended to follow my original post, but Corey was on top of me. It was even foggy in Waldoboro when we were headed south, away from the coast.
[2nd EDIT]: Three more of the CBS host.

Attachments

• CBS_5 DSC02879.JPG
    CBS_5 DSC02879.JPG
    701.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CBS_6 DSC02880.JPG
    CBS_6 DSC02880.JPG
    694.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CBS _7 DSC02881.JPG
    CBS _7 DSC02881.JPG
    687.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It took me twenty minutes to drive 3/4th of a mile through Rockland on Sunday. :mad2:

I drove an hour from AUG to see the annual airshow at Owl's Head. Beautifully sunny in Augusta, yet 40 miles to the East, the coast is completely socked in.
I was at the Festival on Sunday -- FREE - Family Day.

HR

I was at the Festival on Sunday -- FREE - Family Day.

HR

There ya go...the festival is a lot of fun - been a few times myself.

If you saw someone driving around in a red Jeep Liberty scowling, that was probably me.

Back